Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Newbie alert!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In Mac OS X, use “About Oolite” in the Oolite application menu, or “Get Info” in the Finder. On other platforms, look in the menu bar in windowed mode. On any platform, run with the -showversion command-line option.
Leroy Boyce
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Leroy Boyce »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Leroy Boyce wrote:
Can anyone explain why I can't find an "extra energy cell" for sale at any space station? Even over-8 tech ones...?
The Extra Energy Unit (EEU) is not an 'extra cell', more an enhancement that improves your ship's energy recharge rate. If your ship is fitted with one or, indeed with a Naval Energy Unit (NEU), then the option to buy an EEU will not be available.

Captain Hesperus
Yeh, it's the next thing on my shopping list, yet I can't find one anywhere. I definitely haven't got one either...???
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

You only get the option to buy the Naval Energy Unit after you've completed the Thargoid Plans (native) mission, and then only on (I think) TL15 planets and Navy Behemoths -- although it is possible to buy a ship with one already fitted.

If you can't buy an EEU, though, it might have something to do with your ship. What type of ship are you currently flying?
Leroy Boyce
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Leroy Boyce »

Just the good ol' Cobra III...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hmmm... then I'm stuck. Just to check... are you flying the original Cobra you started the game with, or did you buy one at a later date (perhaps after trading down to an older model early on)? If you did buy a new Mk III, you might have bought a ship with an EEU already installed. If you have one installed then it should be listed on the F5 screen as "Extra Energy Unit". If you don't have either an EEU or a Naval Energy Unit listed there, then you should be able to buy one. If you definitely don't have one of the two, and can't buy one, then it sounds like a bug... did you ever find out what version of Oolite you're using?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

If you don't have either an EEU or a Naval Energy Unit listed there, then you should be able to buy one. If you definitely don't have one of the two, and can't buy one, then it sounds like a bug... did you ever find out what version of Oolite you're using?
With version 1.69 there is a bug with those things behaving wrongly. Eighter step back to 1.65 or forward to the 1.70 test version. (If you dont mind a ocasionaly bug)
Leroy Boyce
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Leroy Boyce »

I'm on 1.69.

Is is OK to step back to 1.65, or should I just go for 1.70?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Is is OK to step back to 1.65, or should I just go for 1.70?
The data structure of the save file stays the same, so you can use them as you like. The can use each others save file. In this case it does not matter, it is just to see if the energy units are available with the other versions. There is a bug that you don't see them for sale in 1.69. Buy them in the others, save and play further in the version you like.