Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Are Trumbles a mission?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You're always welcome! :D

But you have forgotten something cost-wise: May I ask you to put the 500 Cr advice-fee into my personal inter-galactic account immediatly. If not: bounty hunters are on their way! :twisted:
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

hwtan wrote:
Finally, I fried the trumble. It does not taste nice and costly (it takes 1,500 credit and three attempts to cook it without I myself being fried.). Thanks for the tips guys. :)
Barbarian.....
<sob> My poor little Trumble....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

It not a waste of a Trumble life if you make the most of it with a nice glass of red wine...
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Hoopy wrote:
It not a waste of a Trumble life if you make the most of it with a nice glass of red wine...
I'm surrounded by scoundrels.....

...but that's nothing new :lol:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

Hoopy wrote:
I had mine with a bottle of quiante & some fava beans ffff ffff ffff ffff :lol:
In memory of ma homey H-Dog.
Krunchin tha numbaz with tha Angels.

http://www.midstateoffice.com/index.php
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I wonder if we could think up a suitable plot for an OXP where you have to fly trumbles to the galatic cuisine conference whilst the GWF (Galactic Wildlife Fund) or TLF (Trumble Liberation Front) try to blow you up, scoop up the trumbles and release them back into the wild...

or maybe vice-versa you join the TLF?
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

How about a "Thermal pest control treatment" (for some preposterous amount - Cr4500.0, maybe?) on the shipyard, the same way as the ship servicing? For extra fun, set a 1/3 chance that a trumble survives and shows up on the screen after the next jump... :twisted:

It won't be of very much help for a young, poor Jameson, (until he finds out about trumble roasting and slaps his/her/its own forehead (if available, or other similarily meaning culturally adquired behaviour), that is). The name itself should give the clueless a lead, and that makes it an even funnier afterthought...
In fact, it's more of a way for a wealthy veteran to both waste some of its useless money and save the hassle of a suntrip.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Nice idea :)
Maybe it should be a one shot device so you buy it, 2/3 chance it works. Then sometime later if you see a trumble pop up you can either buy another one and try again or give in and roast them the old fashioned way.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I just wrote a short pestcontrol.OXP to try it out. Problem is: removeEquipment: EQ_TRUMBLE doesn't work, although you get your first trumble by awardEquipment: EQ_TRUMBLE.

Question to the codemonkeys: How can the number of trumbles be controlled (read: set or reduced) by a script?

Second problem: Oolite (vv. 1.69.1.1 and 1.65) crashed, whenever I jumped to another system with a trumble visible on my screen. Anybody else had that?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I think the problem is that, while the addExtraEquipment method deals with the case of trumbles, the removeExtraEquipment one does not. This is because there is supposed to be one and only one way to remove them, so until now there has never been a need to check against this case. I think the remove method needs to be updated to include the case of mass eradication of furries for the OXP to work as intended.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

The Clock-Tower Nutter wrote:
I'm surrounded by scoundrels.....
That's nothing. Look behind you.... :D
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

McLaine wrote:
Second problem: Oolite (vv. 1.69.1.1 and 1.65) crashed, whenever I jumped to another system with a trumble visible on my screen. Anybody else had that?
It is a known bug in version 1.69.1 It is reported and Ahruman found and removed the bug within 24 hours. On a mac it crashed the game on ever second jump. However with version 1.65 there should be no problem. Whenever I got a trumble on board I switched back to 1.65 untill I had it removed.
McLaine wrote:
I just wrote a short pestcontrol.OXP to try it out. Problem is: removeEquipment: EQ_TRUMBLE doesn't work, although you get your first trumble by awardEquipment: EQ_TRUMBLE.

Question to the codemonkeys: How can the number of trumbles be controlled (read: set or reduced) by a script?
This is how it works: The awardEquipment: EQ_TRUMBLE will add it into your inventory. Then as second action it looks if you have trumbles on board. If none it start the internal trumble routine and removes the EQ_TRUMBLE itself.

But there is a bug. When you use awardEquipment: EQ_TRUMBLE at a moment you still have trumbles on board nothing happens but the EQ_TRUMBLES stays in your inventory. With EQ_TRUMBLES on board you never can add it anymore and you can not be infected. This is not really a bug as it was never planned to be infected more than once. So for pest control you should buy trumbles when already infected. That protects you from further infection. (Unless you encounters trumbles in my next courier release. There I worked around this unintended trumble protection and will still give you some. Just one tiny one.)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric, I’m trying to work out what you mean here. I can’t find anything related to removing EQ_TRUMBLE. Maybe that’s a result of some earlier attempt to deal with you reporting the problem… :-)

Anyway, the crashing-with-trumbles bug was a texture management issue and is fixed in 1.70.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Eric, I’m trying to work out what you mean here. I can’t find anything related to removing EQ_TRUMBLE. Maybe that’s a result of some earlier attempt to deal with you reporting the problem…
Maybe I was not that clear, but that was because I was unsure if this should be fixed or stay this way so it is a little more difficult to infect someone to often. But try it. Change the savefile so the played has EQ_TRUMBLE. (or award it twice). A ship with this equipment can not be infected as long the equipment is on board in the inventory.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ahh. I was distracted by the claim that the EQ_TRUMBLE is added, then removed. In fact, it is never added, unless the player is already infected… and awardEquipment: checks whether equipment is already installed before calling through to the underlying method addExtraEquipment: that does the actual trumble check.

Two fixes:
  • Don’t add an EQ_TRUMBLE to the equipment list if “awardEquipment: EQ_TRUMBLE” is called when there is already a trumble infection; just do nothing.
  • Delete EQ_TRUMBLE from equipment list on loading, to mend saved games broken by this bug.
I’m not sure about making trumbles removable, due to the potential for abuse. Then again, JavaScript’s increased access to the guts does this anyway, with things like player.credits = 100000000.