Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

lost the constrictor

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

LittleBear wrote:
Check the F7 screen at the new system to follow the trial.

@Helvellyn. There was a "constrictormorehints.oxp" available that got round this problem. With this OXP installed you could always find a hint within 7 light years of the point where you entered G2 on the chase, but it got lost when Oosat2 crashed in Oct 06. Perhaps the morehints could be made native for 1.70. Think I still have it on my harddrive.

EDIT:

Here it is (written by A_H i think)!

http://www.box.net/shared/15m2qc6h2f

Unzip and move the .oxp folder (3k) to AddOns.

A difference between Elite and Oolite was that in Elite you always appeared at the same planet when you made a Galatic Jump, and so there was always a hint within 7 light years of your entry point. In Oolite you appear at a system relative to your position in the previous Galaxy, so you can appear at a system where no hints are available. This mod just adds hints at more systems. Check the F7 Screen and follow the trail. Eventually you'll find that he is AT your current system. Then hunt him down!
Just checked my old Oolite files. I downloaded just about all the OXP's in Sep 2006, and have been away from the game for a while, so I have quite a few old OXP's. (39 in total downloaded in september 2006, including "constrictor_morehints_OXP.zip") Are these interessting or do I just delete them. I don't know what to do with them or wich are still of any use.

Gimi
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

LittleBear wrote:
@Helvellyn. There was a "constrictormorehints.oxp" available that got round this problem. With this OXP installed you could always find a hint within 7 light years of the point where you entered G2 on the chase, but it got lost when Oosat2 crashed in Oct 06. Perhaps the morehints could be made native for 1.70. Think I still have it on my harddrive.

EDIT:

Here it is (written by A_H i think)!
This old one is buggy. I doubt it it ever has worked in this state. To get it in working order you must replace the last occurrence of "," with a ");"
And also remove the planet names that are added as comment. With these changes it at least loads.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: lost the constrictor

Post by m4r35n357 »

I've been searching G2 with two commanders simultaneously for some time now and have covered a fair proportion of G2 already, with not a single hint since I entered G2. I DON'T want to cheat at this, but how long should I keep looking, and is there a time limit?

Ian.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

m4r35n357 wrote:
I've been searching G2 with two commanders simultaneously for some time now and have covered a fair proportion of G2 already, with not a single hint since I entered G2. I DON'T want to cheat at this, but how long should I keep looking, and is there a time limit?

Ian.
There is no time limit as far as I know. When you left G1 you were probably told where to look in G2, and when you are in that area you will get some clues.
Happy Hunting, and before I forget, Welcome!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Hi Smivs, thanks for the welcome, I'm using your ship set BTW, nice & visible in dogfights ;)

I've replayed the setup of this from G1 to the hyperjump many times over the last two days, and there are very clear clues in G1, then NOTHING in G2. After two days of searching for clues, and splitting my commander (& therefore my kills) into two parts, I have not seen a single mention anywhere. I've read several threads and Googled lots, but I'm getting to the point now where I don't think I will find anything . . .

I'd rather abandon the mission than cheat, and go back to having fun with the game (this mission is becoming less fun and more of a chore). Are there any adverse consequences of abandoning the mission, will I miss out on anything else? I'll give it the rest of today . . .

Ian.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Ian and welcome.

Long time since I did the Constrictor mission, but I think that the north-east quadrant (top right) of G2 is where you should concentrate your search.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Hi El Viejo, thanks for replying, I'll send my 540-kill commander up there to investigate, currently in the bottom right quadrant . . . his slightly less murderous counterpart is way over on the left hand side!
Ian.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Hi Smivs, thanks for the welcome, I'm using your ship set BTW, nice & visible in dogfights ;)

Are there any adverse consequences of abandoning the mission, will I miss out on anything else? I'll give it the rest of today . . .

Ian.
Glad you like the ships :D
If you fail to complete the Constrictor mission, you may not be able to do subsequent missions and this will mean you miss out on some good stuff. I remember it was a bit of a chore as well, but it's worth sticking with.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Yeah I was afraid of that, so I don't mind sticking with it if I think it's possible, it's just that from all the threads on this that I have seen, people are getting clues, whereas I'm not. I'm seriously wondering whether the lack of clues is a bug, or possibly something to do with the fact that I am already rated "dangerous" and the code doesn't think I need the bonus kills so I don't need the Constrictor . . . etc. etc.

Anyway, back to the slaughter ;)

Ian.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Just in case you didn't know, the clues are found on the F7 planet information screen. When you arrive in a new system, check the F7 screen for that system and see if there's any extra information.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Being 'Dangerous' won't affect the mission (nygubhtu gur Pbafgevpgbe jvyy or n ovg fgebatre jura lbh svaq vg) [de-crypt with rot13].
It might be worth a look in the log for any clues...I believe it is theoretically possible for another ship to destroy the Constrictor before you find it, and the log may have some information.
Cody

Post by Cody »

One other thought: it might be worth checking your save-game file, Ian.
Somewhere around line 350 (in mine) is the mission variables section... see what it says under ‘Mission Conhunt’, i.e.

Code: Select all

<key>mission_conhunt</key>
<string>MISSION_COMPLETE</string>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Smivs wrote:
If you fail to complete the Constrictor mission, you may not be able to do subsequent missions and this will mean you miss out on some good stuff.
This is wrong. There are no conditions coded in any of the built-in missions to indicate that any of the other built-in ones have to be completed in a specific order.

The Constrictor mission in Oolite is somewhat different, in the sense that a galactic hyperspace jump does not behave by default the same way as the old Elite versions. In the old versions, the arrival point in the new galaxy was specific, while in Oolite it is the equivalent position of your ship in the previous galaxy before jumping (btw, this is changeable by OXP if needed). This means that when you arrive in G2, you may bump onto the trail quickly if you are lucky or not so quickly if you are not so lucky. The systems which provide clues are the same as in the old versions though and the old versions knew exactly where to put the hints (close to the known arrival point). So, overall it is a slightly more difficult task in Oolite. However, if you check your F7 screen frequently, sooner or later you will bump on the Constrictor again.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

another_commander wrote:
Smivs wrote:
If you fail to complete the Constrictor mission, you may not be able to do subsequent missions and this will mean you miss out on some good stuff.
This is wrong. There are no conditions coded in any of the built-in missions to indicate that any of the other built-in ones have to be completed in a specific order.
V jnf haqre gur vzcerffvba gung gur Gunetbvq Cynaf zvffvba jnf qrcraqrag ba pbzcyrgvat gur Pbafgevpgbe uhag. Gur Jvxv frrzf gb guvax fb nf jryy.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Smivs wrote:
another_commander wrote:
Smivs wrote:
V jnf haqre gur vzcerffvba gung gur Gunetbvq Cynaf zvffvba jnf qrcraqrag ba pbzcyrgvat gur Pbafgevpgbe uhag. Gur Jvxv frrzf gb guvax fb nf jryy.
The code itself is under the same impression, making a_c wrong this time only:

Code: Select all

if (galaxyNumber === 2)
		{
			if (!missionVariables.thargplans &&
				missionVariables.conhunt === "MISSION_COMPLETE" &&