Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ion Bomb

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Conspiracy theories don't need to hold water, just fools that believe them. ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Just a guess here...

Thargoid tech is barely understood by GalCop's military intelligence, and the hoopys are often found orbiting rich, high TL worlds.

So, they must be hubs for bigwheel corporate types that collect captured alien technology to attempt to reverse-engineer, and/or disguised front offices for military R&D.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
One could set the AI of an NPC temporarily to an affectedByWeaponAI.plist, easy as far as I can see.

Code: Select all

You would do it like this. Have weapon do:
"performScriptedActionOnTarget: setAITo: affectedByWeaponAI.plist"
and becomeExplosion or otherwise deactivate/vanish.
The AI should have a bahaviour, a timer and exitAI when the timer is exceeded. 
The NPC returns to his previous AI, which may not be written with a RESTARTED message in mind, so it will just continue doing the last medhod called unless UPDATE message interrupts this. Failing this, the mindless state will continue untill some other input breaks the quo.
I finally got a chance to try this out, and it does work as you suggested. I've set up a stunnedAI.plist that brings the ship to a dead stop for 30 seconds or so, before exiting back to the previous AI and continuing on its merry way. A slightly more violent effect can be created by setting the speed to zero and doing performTumble, which leaves the ship flailing about on the spot with its engines still firing. I might use this effect for another rather more vindictive weapon.
Last edited by Ramirez on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

He He does this mean we are aproaching reality? Surely Not :twisted:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ramirez wrote:
Arexack_Heretic wrote:
One could set the AI of an NPC temporarily to an affectedByWeaponAI.plist, easy as far as I can see.

Code: Select all

You would do it like this. Have weapon do:
"performScriptedActionOnTarget: setAITo: affectedByWeaponAI.plist"
and becomeExplosion or otherwise deactivate/vanish.
The AI should have a bahaviour, a timer and exitAI when the timer is exceeded. 
The NPC returns to his previous AI, which may not be written with a RESTARTED message in mind, so it will just continue doing the last medhod called unless UPDATE message interrupts this. Failing this, the mindless state will continue untill some other input breaks the quo.
I finally got a chance to try this out, and it does work as you suggested. I've set up a stunnedAI.plist that brings the ship to a dead stop for 30 seconds or so, before exiting back to the previous AI and continuing on its merry way. A slightly more violent effect can be created by setting the speed to zero and doing performTumble, which leaves the ship flailing about on the spot with its engines still firing. I might use this effect for another rather more vindictive weapon.
Does that work on the player as well? I wouldn't guess so, but I haven't tested it. Anyway, in my view every weapon should affect the player in the same way as the NPC's if used against him.