Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Script Problems on 1.68

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I probabley could by telling Assassins to store all the Military and Thargoid Wars variables as "oldWombat1", "oldMurgh1" etc when Assassins starts. Then set all the Thargoid Wars variables and Military variables to impossible vaules (so neither OXP would do anything whilst the player is playing Assassins), then reset them to the "oldWobat" / "oldMurgh" values if the player leaves G7 or completes Assassins.

But this means pracking with somebody elses OXP without their permission (which seems impolite!) and also all I'd actually achieve is turning their OXPs off. Which is a lot easier to do my just asking the player to move them out of AddOns whilst Assassins is running! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Frame wrote:
Uncle Reno wrote:
:? A Nil ship? The save game requires the Imperial Courier OXP to be installed but that's it AFAIK.8
(nil) to be precise.... :S

prolly the programmers slang for NULL ^^
“(nil)” (or “(null)” on the Mac) means the OpenStep string formatter has been passed a nil object reference (which is like NULL, only conceptually completely different). In this particular instance, it means no “user-friendly” name could be found for the ship key in the saved game.

I believe the loader code has already been modified to fail to load the file (in a reasonably graceful way) in this context. Saving the “user-friendly” name in the saved game in order to provide a more useful message would be a good idea, though.