Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Parser anomaly - bug or encoding glitch?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Parser anomaly - bug or encoding glitch?

Post by Commander_X »

Quick hint about EOL (CR/CR+LF/LF) on Windows: if you wanted to check if you're haunted by this, try Windows' Notepad -- it will usually show a mess (a single line out of you whole file) for non CR+LF formatted text files. Then open it with Windows' Wordpad, rejoice on the nice formatting, don't mind the "page" wrapping, and save it as text -- this should properly fix the EOL issue.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Post by Reval »

Yes, it just occurred to me too that it _would_ be worth testing in different text editor. I have notepad2, which is also very good (used to use it to code all the time before I discovered n++, whose Zen theme I now cannot live without) :)
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

OK, tested by pasting original shipdata-overrides.plist into clean Notepad2 and inserting a comment and a line-space:

../AddOns/FE_Ships.oxp
../AddOns/FE_Ships_Player.oxp
08:21:56.234 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.

Perfect. So seems it was n++ after all. Pity, because I love all the tabs, not to mention the fact that we can use JS as the language for colour-coding (I don't think np2 has that on-the-fly capability). Also, Notepad2 is separate instances per file.

Apologies for all the to-do, another_commander <facepalm>

And thank you again also, commander_X :)
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I would still recommend updating your Notepad++ in any case. The version you are using now is truly ancient history and the new one I was using seems to have had good results with the original file

Edit to add: It also recognized the original file correctly as a Macintosh EOL type.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Reval »

another_commander wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:44 pm
Edit to add: It also recognized the original file correctly as a Macintosh EOL type.
MAC?? Now that is truly weird (no indication of that). I guess a registry key could have got corrupted somewhere along the way...