Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

A game so good that ...

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: A game so good that ...

Post by Cholmondely »

NigelJK wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:49 am
I can honestly say that each time I come into one of the stations in E: D in VR I'm truly awestruck. Something I've wished for since 1984.
Thank you for all this... I had no idea!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

My problem with VR is that I have a weird problem with the retina in my left eye - it's sort of creased due to tissue growth around it - and that eye sees straight lines as a bit wavy, which makes it very difficult to fuse 3D images properly. It's one of the reasons why I don't ride a motorbike any more, but for general purposes I can get around well enough because there are lots of other visual cues to distance - it isn't my dominant eye anyway, so it isn't too big a problem. Unfortunately things don't work so well when I'm looking at two flat images and trying to turn them into a 3D view. So I don't have a 3D TV or VR gear, and I've given up on 3D photography which used to be a hobby. I can see how not seeing the keyboard would be a problem with a VR setup for something as complicated as a flight simulator or even Elite / Oolite, so I doubt I'll be messing around with it any time soon.

Getting back to the actual topic, Oolite is actually the only game I play on my PC other than solitaires etc., it's a 3GHz Windows 10 box with a Radeon card which works well enough for that, though my main reason for getting it was to run OCR and drawing software that needed a lot of processing speed etc. The software I use is old enough that it doesn't need super-high speed, so I doubt I'll be changing any time soon.
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

Elite Dangerous was the one game I actually did buy whole new computer for and dare I mention Star Citizen. Right now, I like them both and would play them back to back, but I like the latter more these days....
Right on Commander!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander Mick wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:01 pm
Elite Dangerous was the one game I actually did buy whole new computer for and dare I mention Star Citizen. Right now, I like them both and would play them back to back, but I like the latter more these days....
Umm... just read the wikipedia page on Star Citizen... how do you know that they are not just ripping you off for your money?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

How do you know as much as any game developer promising a great game. Elite Dangerous may have beaten Star Citizen in releasing a complete game, but it looks like their expansion isn't everything it was originally planned to be. Star Citizen may only be a tech demo, atm, but boy it's one hell of exciting tech demo. They can have my money and a bit more.... I want to add to my fleet of one ship, a F7C-S Ghost Hornet and thanks to help from other players and some grinding out delivery missions with the Origin 125a I brought with gifted aUEC and I can now afford to completely upgrade my Hornet. To my feet I would love to add the Cutlass Black and maybe Mercury Star Runner if it becomes available again during the next Ship expo. I would buy the Carrack built for Exploration.

Seriously, I did initially buy my computer for Elite Dangerous, and only brought the Hornet starter package for Star Citizen to try it out and initially I was unimpressed with it, until it's became what it is today.
Right on Commander!!