Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What if...? (knowing the rules)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: What if...? (knowing the rules)

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
Ah yes, the Dark Side of Oolite. Is dark to be connoted as a bad thing?
Certainly not - my favourite chocolate is dark! Thing is, the players need the boffins, and the boffins need the players!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
...I'm now an old-timer who's been around the eight, so I'm knowledgable and capable of understanding what I'm choosing to put in, and also am for my current play-through avoiding story-based OXPs, having already played through most of them!
I think this is a really good point. Newcomers to the game could have no idea of all the subtle influences and interactions of the wealth of OXPs on offer. And they could at best be only vaguely guided through the ins and outs of the OXPs. In fact the classifcations used on the Wiki and OXP table give a good idea what each does, so it's not hard to track down the type of OXP you want.
The point is, the only way they can find out what they want is by trying various OXPs over time, as Mauby is saying above. Eventually each player settles on one or more OXP sets to suit their style and what they are looking for from the game. And those who eventually find themselves thinking "I wish I'd just used these OXPs from the start..." in a very real sense can do just that, by starting a new Commander. If keeping the original Commander is important (for example to reach 'Elite' status) then do so. I'm sure many of us (like myself) have two different OXP sets, allowing them to play a Main Commander (the first one) and a second Commander who lives in a more tailored and thought-out Ooniverse.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by iperich »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Thank you for your input but I must disagree....
The energy bomb is not a total destruction weapon that you want us to think it is.. I have seen many ships survive its effects.

Yes, you're right. I have noted that the energy bombs can kill a convoy of 5 o 7 ships, but dealing with pirates is not the same. I have had a couple encounters with teams of 4 or 5 ships attacking me, and when i drop the energy bomb everybody runs out and the bomb kills 2, 1 or even no ship at all. And then they come back to attack.

And there's a question: the average skill level of pirates and the amount of enemies is growing with my rank? I have the feeling that now I'm have the "average" rank battles are getting a little harder. Or is just a feeling?
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk"
(Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

iperich wrote:
And there's a question: the average skill level of pirates and the amount of enemies is growing with my rank? I have the feeling that now I'm have the "average" rank battles are getting a little harder. Or is just a feeling?
No the skill level of NPCs (non player ships) is set and not altered to reflect your own skill level. In fact the core game NPCs are not very skillful at all, the best of them being the equivalent of mostly harmless or a bit better.
You might find these pages on the wiki enlightening.
Accuracy in the shipdata.plist http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Shipda ... t#accuracy
Skill levels based on Accuracy http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_NP ... y_.3C_0.29
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Of course, if you want them to be a little trickier, [EliteWiki] this and [EliteWiki] this may be of interest.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CaptSolo wrote:
Ah yes, the Dark Side of Oolite. Is dark to be connoted as a bad thing?
I suspect the term 'Dark Side' came into use because once one succumbs to it, one rarely actually just plays the game any more.. so yes, in that sense, it might indeed be regarded as "bad" by those who prefer to simply play.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied