Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How many people have made it to 'ELITE'?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: How many people have made it to 'ELITE'?

Post by Gimi »

My current Commander Gimi in Oolite is merely Dangerous. He is taking his time, exploring, having fun and is in no hurry to reach Elite.

The now retired Commander Gladius is Elite however, but flat out refuses to divulge how that status was achieved and turns deep scarlet when the subject arises.

Prior to the era of Oolite, I have achieved Elite on the Commodore 64, and twice on Elite Plus for the PC.
I also made Deadly on CGA Elite for the PC and in FFE. In Frontier I only reached Competent.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I never made it to Elite on Elite for PC, got as far as Dangerous, but I was only 5 years old so I don't think my attention span was great enough to play it as religiously as I play Oolite. I was Deadly on Frontier and FFE though, hated the newtonian physics but liked a few of the features it had, such as being able to land on planets, see the inside of a station when launching/docking, and the faction cold-war Empire Vs Federation Vs Alliance... The Bulletin Board was a good idea, would be good in Oolite and could be made with an OXP but not as interactive.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
... That's as much information as you can get without being firmly in spoiler territory.
Hmm... that's a pretty good spoiler, I'd say.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

El Viejo wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
... That's as much information as you can get without being firmly in spoiler territory.
Hmm... that's a pretty good spoiler, I'd say.
You're probably right. I have encrypted it. :)
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Just look for the shimmer, like most Star Trek games when hunting for cloaked ships, and shoot at it! Used to love playing Klingon Academy as its the only space sim I can remember where you can blow great big chunks out of ships. Something satisfying about blasting away the Enteprise-A's Warp Nacelles and then putting a nice big hole where the Bridge used to be! :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
I have encrypted it.
Heh... I'd hardly call Rot13 'encrypted'. Personally, I don't even like to see 'encrypted' spoilers (most especially for native missions).
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

El Viejo wrote:
Heh... I'd hardly call Rot13 'encrypted'. Personally, I don't even like to see 'encrypted' spoilers (most especially for native missions).
:shock: In Commander McLane's defense, the Cloak mission is one of the easiest stock missions in the game. It doesn't really need much of a walkthrough as its pretty self explanitory. In fact all of the stock missions are very much walks-in-the-park, especially compared to some of the OXP missions... :)

Cody

Post by Cody »

It's not so much about the difficulty level of the native missions - it's that their circumstances should at least surprise the player.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Perhaps if it was a cloaked Behemoth...? :twisted:

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Commander McLane wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
Have you ever visited the fifth octant (G5)? If not then you haven't got it yet! But if you have got it, press 0 (zero) to activate/deactivate.
I have been to the fifth, but I never bought it.
You cannot buy it. You have to earn it, and will get the opportunity to do so after flying around in the fifth for a little while.

Lbh jvyy xabj gung gur bccbeghavgl vf gurer, nf fbba nf n pybnxrq fuvc jvgu gjb pbzcnavbaf nggnpxf lbh. Nsgre lbh znantr gb xvyy gur pybnxrq fuvc, qba'g sbetrg gb pnershyyl fpna vgf qroevf.

http://www.rot13.com

That's as much information as you can get without being firmly in spoiler territory.
Cool, I was wondering how you all were making the "non-sense" text look so uniform and consistent - geez, V'z n yvggyr fybj :lol: :lol: .
I think I will go to G5 and get one - just for the sake of getting it - but I'd rather let my opponents see me coming and know the the cold vacuum of space is around the corner :twisted: .
Thanks for the hints, CML :P .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Cody

Post by Cody »

CommRLock78 wrote:
... but I'd rather let my opponents see me coming and know the the cold vacuum of space is around the corner
Indeed! The cloak is best used defensively (though that function has rightly been eroded somewhat). Besides, cloaked kills don't count!
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

I generally use the cloak if I want to go to make a brew. I turn the ship away from the planet go to max speed (so that the fuel collector will do its stuff) and engage the cloak. Perfect safety till the brew is made and I have a little more fuel for the run in :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
Besides, cloaked kills don't count!
As they shouldn't ;) - but, on the topic of what should count, I would really like to get credit for Q-Mine cascades again as I can only muster about 2 kills with Q-mines anymore :( .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

CommRLock78 wrote:
As they shouldn't ;) - but, on the topic of what should count, I would really like to get credit for Q-Mine cascades again as I can only muster about 2 kills with Q-mines anymore :( .
There are a lot of things that you shouldn't really be awarded kills for, such as destroying deactivated Thargons after destroying the Thargoid ship they launched from.

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Pleb wrote:
...deactivated Thargons after destroying the Thargoid ship they launched from.
I whole-heartedly agree with that - my argument about the q-mines still stands though: if a commander drops one that happens to continue to cascade to ships further away (as long as they are on radar) then he should get the credit, because after all, those ships that were further away would never have blown up if the commander hadn't delivered the "present" in the first place.... but I think we're getting a bit off topic - this should probably be discussed here or even here (or whatever is best ;) - this thread is about making it to 'Elite' :P )