Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Scooping gold, platinum and gemstones

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Scooping gold, platinum and gemstones

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
Smivs wrote:
When you scoop something you are told what it is at the time, but only find out how much upon docking.
Que? Am I mis-reading stuff tonight, or what? I scoop a pod and I'm told '9kg Platinum', for example.
Is that so?
I need to pay more attention. Perhaps it's time for me to stop testing stuff and just concentrate on playing the game. :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
Perhaps it's time for me to stop testing stuff and just concentrate on playing the game.
Abandon all OXP work for the weekend and get out there!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

El Viejo wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Perhaps it's time for me to stop testing stuff and just concentrate on playing the game.
Abandon all OXP work for the weekend and get out there!
Careful! He might get a life and then we'll lose him. :o
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<smirks>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Smivs wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Smivs wrote:
When you scoop something you are told what it is at the time, but only find out how much upon docking.
Que? Am I mis-reading stuff tonight, or what? I scoop a pod and I'm told '9kg Platinum', for example.
Is that so?
That is so with the cargo OXPs (Cargo_and_wrecks.oxp and Pods.oxp). They're showing you what you have scooped when you have scooped it. Secondly, only with these it's possible to scoop more than one unit at a time in the first place (through bulk containers, which of course fly in the face of everything we established so far; if a 't' is a unit of volume, how can you fit 10 t inside a 1 t container?; thus the only real answer is the one already given above: relax and enjoy, it's just a game, don't question it too much :wink: ).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
That is so with the cargo OXPs (Cargo_and_wrecks.oxp and Pods.oxp). They're showing you what you have scooped when you have scooped it. Secondly, only with these it's possible to scoop more than one unit at a time in the first place (through bulk containers,.....
Only Pods.oxp uses bulk containers . Cargo_and_wrecks.oxp follows completely the Oolite rules AND statistics. e.g. the cargo transported by traders from witchpoint towards the main station is determined by the shortage at the main station. On the other hand, shuttles transport commodities to the station that the station already has in large quantities. All according to the idea that commodities are produced on the surface, transported to the main station, and from there distributed in the wide Ooniverse.

However, I always wonder how many players notice the relationship between cargo released on killing a trader and the availability of commodities at the min station. :?:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
I always wonder how many players notice the relationship between cargo released on killing a trader and the availability of commodities at the min station. :?:
To be honest, I don't. I simply scoop everything I come across and sell it as soon as I dock without further thought. :oops:

The only thing I have set myself selling price limits for are the precious commodities, because there's no pressure to rid my hold of them. Still it's a little silly, because the difference between selling Gold for above 40Cr or below 40Cr isn't going to influence my income much. I'm making it even harder for myself with Platinum, where I want to get as close to 80Cr as possible and only sell above 78Cr. Currently that costs me one t of my cargo capacity, because for many jumps I haven't come across a place where the price was right.

And all of this is of course only possible through pods.oxp, which frequently lets my scoop containers with really silly amounts of Platinum in them. On the other hand, it destroys my scoops equally frequently. :?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Commander McLane wrote:
And all of this is of course only possible through pods.oxp, which frequently lets my scoop containers with really silly amounts of Platinum in them. On the other hand, it destroys my scoops equally frequently. :?
Perhaps this is an oxp feature? Justifying uber amounts of cargo by offering equally uber penalties? Instead of just adding some variety that really makes sense and is balanced and enhances immersion. After having my scoops blow up a few times, this oxp hit the trashbin. :roll:

Actually that's not totally accurate. I ripped off the containers first and set them up to be just like the original one, then the original oxp hit the trashbin. :roll:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yup, it was designed to be a balanced OXP, after several people were complaining at the time about OXPs not being so and just giving the sweet stuff to the player. But for all that the most common response was to pull out the sour stuff anyway, so as an OXP writer you just can't win.

Oh and the bulk pods are bigger than the standard ones, hence why they can contain more...
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Thankyou Commander McLane! I have now experimentally replaced 'tons' with 'ViC's (Volume in Container)