Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Intel i5-2430m - integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics.

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Intel i5-2430m - integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics.

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Hi - your GPU is a first generation HD integrated GPU, so slightly different hardware. I've had a quick look at the Intel site and your driver is listed as most recent for your hardware, although there is also an older one you could try (until the current driver for my hardware, none of the OpenGL 3.1 releases worked properly, I was using an old openGL 3.0 driver).

I've tried the nightly build and it's fine on my machine - log output for comparison......but my driver is a bit newer.
04:04:59.608 [log.header]: Opening log for Oolite development version 1.77.0.4856 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2012-04-18 04:04:59 +0100.
4 processors detected.
Build options: new planets, spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

04:04:59.791 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1366 x 768
04:05:00.133 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
04:05:00.149 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with always-flush-cache preference. Rebuilding from scratch.
04:05:00.149 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 3.1.0 ("3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2656"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000".
04:05:00.149 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (114):
GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_query_lod, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_snorm, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_INTEL_performance_queries, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_timer_query, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_sync, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_ARB_compatibility, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_NV_blend_square
04:05:00.155 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
04:05:00.155 [speech.synthesis]: Spoken messages are off.
04:05:00.167 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with always-flush-cache preference. Rebuilding from scratch.
04:05:00.167 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
Resources
../AddOns
../AddOns/Basic-debug.oxp
../AddOns/System_Redux.oxp
../AddOns/Thargoid_Witchspace_Drive_0.9.3_2012.04.02.oxp
04:05:00.251 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
04:05:00.416 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 7 world scripts:
murphy-thargoid-drive.js 0.9.3
oolite-cloaking-device 1.77
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.77
oolite-nova 1.77
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.77
oolite-trumbles 1.77
System Redux 1.2.2
04:05:00.715 [planetTex.temp]: Started generator <OOPlanetTextureGenerator 0xa0ec890>{seed: 3560527675,2338263651 land: 0.65}
04:05:00.889 [planetTex.temp]: Completed generator <OOPlanetTextureGenerator 0xa0ec890>{seed: 3560527675,2338263651 land: 0.65} successfully
04:05:02.178 [debugTCP.disconnect]: No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

' (outStream status: 7, inStream status: 7)."
04:05:02.178 [debugTCP.send.warning]: Error sending packet header, retrying.
04:05:02.202 [debugTCP.send.error]: The following packet could not be sent: {"Oolite version" = 1.77; "packet type" = "Request Connection"; "protocol version" = 65792; }
04:05:02.205 [debugTCP.disconnect]: No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'bad stream.' (outStream status: 0, inStream status: 0)."
04:05:02.205 [debugTCP.connect.failed]: Failed to connect to debug console at address 127.0.0.1:8563.
04:05:02.466 [loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
04:05:37.219 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.
So it looks like your graphics driver doesn't like the new shader code being tested in trunk. Whether that is a problem with the new shader code or the graphics driver I don't know, but I'd hazard a guess at a bit of both (the memory leak on failure to build the shader is probably an Oolite problem, the actual failure a graphics driver problem).

Give the older driver a try with the current nightly to see if that works. Failing that you could try a self compile of Oolite (1.76.1) which is 1.76 with some bug fixes including ones that cure some of the problems described earlier in this thread, but no new experimental code. It's not that hard. If you want to try it give me a shout and I'll PM a step by step guide. Alternatively subject to Developer permission (which may not be forthcoming for good reason) I may be able to provide an installer for 1.76.1.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
codepoet
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by codepoet »

Thanks for being so helpful. I will see if I can;t figure out how to get a development environment set up and build 1.76.1. If I am going to stir the code a bit (which it looks like I will need to do in general to get things working with my crappy hardware) it will be a good first step toward looking under the hood.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I've got problems with a laptop with has the card in question as one of two. Head over to bug and reports and help me!!!
wthomas33065
Average
Average

Post by wthomas33065 »

To Capt. Murphy

I would love the procedure you used to create a maintenance build to allow those of us with Intel HD 3000 and HD 2000 graphics chipsets.

Having purchased no less than three versions of Elite, I have wasted more time with this game than should be allowed by law, so imagine my pleasant suprise when I heard of OOLITE.

Now imagine my dissapointment with the graphics artifacts that appear on the space stations and planets.

I am brand new to this forum so I don't have the ability to PM, so if you can PM me, or provide me with a link or some instructions on where to find the files, I would love to get this running better.

Normally, I'd just go with a better graphics card, but my unit is an all in one computer and can't upgrade its GPU, so your input would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

wthomas33065: Release 1.76.1 is the maintenance build Capt. Murphy was using and it is available for everyone at www.oolite.org.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

wthomas33065 wrote:
Now imagine my dissapointment with the graphics artifacts that appear on the space stations and planets.
As another_commander has said, the current release version Oolite 1.76.1 is the build that I was using, and works well with the HD 3000. However you may still come across problems with planets not rendering properly at distance and/or with backgrounds from BGS.oxp not displaying. These can fixed by ensuring that you are using the most current driver's available from the Intel website.

Drivers older than April 2011 seemed to be OK (8.15.10.2353 worked for me), and drivers released since Feb 2012 (8.15.10.2656 and later) are fine, but all the ones in between have problems with planet rendering and/or BGS backgrounds.

You may need to follow the instructions under 'work-around' from this page http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm to install drivers if your PC manufacturer has set restrictions on graphic driver installs, and isn't bothered about making sure their customers have access to the latest drivers. :wink:
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
wthomas33065
Average
Average

Post by wthomas33065 »

1.76.1 did the trick.

It was so recent, I did not realize I had initially downloaded 1.76.

This game is amazing, It brings back old memorys but with the texture packs it upgrades the experience immensely.

I love the ability to trade in my ship initially to get some essential upgrades like ECM, Beam Lasers, and a docking computer.

I was able to downgrade, get some added upgrades and afford to fill out my bay with computers to sell to those poor farmers in the outlands.

This is gonna be a terrible time waster, just like it was on my C64, Amiga and PC.

For me, there was nothing that came close to Elite. Others came close, but never matched it. Now, OOLite brings all the best in Elite with a much needed tech refresh.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Welcome to "the friendliest board this side of Riedquat", wthomas33065! 8)

With your background, it sounds like you'd be well qualified to contribute to the discussion, Why does Elite still matter?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied