Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What now?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: What now?

Post by Eric Walch »

Zieman wrote:
After the station was destroyed, I jumped to Diso, refueled there and got back. Decided to have a look on the scene, and conveniently there was a Jump Gate present. But alas, it didn't work. Got some errors on latest.log though:
There are two situations to test a good oxp. Does it behave okay in witchspace and does it work without a main station. Seeing your log, several oxps seem to get in trouble without the main station. For Buoy repair it is solved. (Not trying to launch a ship from the non-existent mainstation when the buoy is missing) I think the latest release already has this fixed. But the latest version still has an other problem with trunk, so we already have a new version prepared for release when a 1.75.4 sees the daylight.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Eric Walch wrote:
Does it behave okay in witchspace and does it work without a main station.
< nitpicking > I do hope you mean Interstellar Space rather than Witchspace < nitpicking >

Sorry for being a purist :oops:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Back to Dr. Nill's models.

His Collective ZGF (Zero G-Factory) did always crash Oolite with some cards. This bug has never been solved. Even not after translating the original .dat file to wins3D, edit it there and create a new .dat file from it.
Today I noticed that Wings v1.2 did crash when I went to the 'uv editor window'. So, it could be that it was the same thing that crashed some cards. Wings v1.4 though had no problems with it. So I now separated and regrouped some of the segments resulting in the same model that now no longer crashes Wings v1.2 when going to the 'uv editor window'. Hopefully that also means that the irregularity is removed that crashed those cards.

Is there anybody around that can test this? I uploaded the new .dat file here

I started my modeling on my computer under OSX 10.5 Today I wanted to work under OSX 10.6 and noticed that wings does not work there (tester the latest version 1.4.1 and an older 1.2) contr-click and alt-click are no longer recognised. So no free rotating and access to the contextual menu on that computer. After changing my mouse so that it generated right-clicks the contextual menus were accessible trough there but still no rotation with the mouse. (but I am not used having a mouse with two buttons and switched it back to the single button)
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Eric Walch wrote:
I started my modeling on my computer under OSX 10.5 Today I wanted to work under OSX 10.6 and noticed that wings does not work there (tester the latest version 1.4.1 and an older 1.2) contr-click and alt-click are no longer recognised. So no free rotating and access to the contextual menu on that computer. After changing my mouse so that it generated right-clicks the contextual menus were accessible trough there but still no rotation with the mouse. (but I am not used having a mouse with two buttons and switched it back to the single button)
****LOL***** :lol:

Typical Mac head. A normal mouse (non-Mac) actually has three buttons, the middle button also serving as a scrolling device. I can use a Mac mouse on my iMac, but it really is a strange experience compared to the three button mouse. :)
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
Is there anybody around that can test this? I uploaded the new .dat file here
Still no luck with threading optimization on, Eric.

If I recall it right removing the completely occluded faces has solved it when we talked about it the last time (https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4&start=21), but I can't convert the .dat file without loosing the textures information (multiple textures).
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Eric Walch wrote:
fatleaf wrote:
What you need is four military lasers and a couple of cheap 30cr missiles.
In Oolite are plain missiles useless against very big objects. Because of the way oolite calculates the damage, the damage done reduces with the size of the target. It was actually with this specific rock that I noticed the effect. Shoot ten missiles at such a rock and than read out the damage. Almost zero.
This bug should now be fixed in trunk. Against a normal cobra did a missile about 250 energy damage, but at a the big asteroid from asteroid storm the damage was only 15 per missile. That made missiles useless against very big ships. That bug is now solved so that all plain missiles do about 250 damage, no matter at what object they are targeted. Only the distance of the explosion to the target will influence the exact damage of plain missiles (and hardhead) in future.

For the doomsday rock from asteroid storm, there exist 3 versions, starting with a strength of 1100 for starting pilots up until 2000 for experienced pilots. (Not entirely true as far away added doomsday rocks also start with a higher energy than the base value because the player has than more time to kill it.)

In future Oolite, about 5 to 7 missiles alone will blow the easy rock in pieces. Or 3 missiles and a bit of firing with beam lasers.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I played the Asteroid Storm mission recently, though I found it easy. That might be because I had help in dispatching the asteroid. I only got three shots in with front, starboard and rear military lasers when it blew, but also noticed some pink lasers from another ship aimed at the rock. Never saw the other ship though.

I nearly got in trouble though, as my fiancée was just dropping off to sleep when I first arrived at Leesti station, and the sirens going off made her jump! :lol: I liked the sounds of the rocks hitting the station. Is that part of the AS OXP or something from the BGS OXP?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

JazHaz wrote:
I liked the sounds of the rocks hitting the station. Is that part of the AS OXP or something from the BGS OXP?
It is part of the OXP. I enjoy the sound as well. Good for immersion.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"