Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Possible Glitch in Oolite 1.75.3.4574-Dev?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Possible Glitch in Oolite 1.75.3.4574-Dev?

Post by mandoman »

Ironfist wrote:
mandoman,
Sorry if post seemed a bit negative - it was not meant to be. I have trouble posting icons for some reason - to add some idea of attitude. What I should have been saying was if someone has this problem - not sure it is a problem - should the community be providing more guidance to others on subjects like this. I could be that there are lots of people that could do with a bit more help.
Hope that sounded a bit more useful - now will go and get killed in a Thargoid battle.

Ironfist
I apologize for my reaction as well. Too touchy. I should know by now that most people on this forum are really only trying to help. It's an unusual forum for the most part. As for the Thangoids, try out the Merlin loaded with the heavidutiest equipment you can buy, and a Super Missile, or two, and the Thargoids seem much more tame. The Merlin is a nasty little ship, which fits me perfectly. :twisted:
Eric Walch wrote:
I downloaded that 'oxp' and flew a bit with it. I don't think the ship has anything to do with it. It looks all pretty straightforward. And when launching missiles with TAF at 0.12 you see that the missile is starting already quite far from the ship. (I had Griffs missiles installed and they looked even bigger than the ship itself)
The missile launch position is a bit unusual at (0,-1,-1) I think its to far behind the ship. Better would be (0,-1, 0) I think. The coordinates are actually inside the ship, but Oolite will add them further away (as you see with TAF = 0.12), taking both the size of the missile and the ship into account.
LOL!!! It's a dinky little thing, for sure, but it's got to be one of the toughest ship oxps yet designed. Add that with how fast it can go, and it's a deadly combination for all potential enemies. Don't worry, I'm not a killer at heart, it's just fun to be one on Oolite. I still fly my trusty Cobra Mk III, when I feel like making honest trading runs. I still have to beef it up more, though, as I still tend to be a target more than anything else. Hardened missiles help. :)

Are you recommending that I change that missile position in the shipdata.plist then?
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

mandoman wrote:
Are you recommending that I change that missile position in the shipdata.plist then?
It is probably not needed, but for me it makes more sense to let them start somewhere at the bottom-centre of the ship, opposed to the current position of bottom-back.

As your ship had many subs, I wondered if that had to do anything with it. On displaying the bounding boxes, I noticed that the purple total bounding box was not drawn for the player. Looking in the code I noticed it was never calculated for the player, only for npc. In the past it was no problem as it was only used to draw the box in the debugging mode. But since 1.75.2, that box is used to line up the player for the docking port. So, in 1.75.2 must be an error that player ships that are taller than wide, don't line up correctly with the docking computer. (I haven't heard this bug yet, so it probably means those ships still don't excist :P )
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Eric Walch wrote:
mandoman wrote:
It is probably not needed, but for me it makes more sense to let them start somewhere at the bottom-centre of the ship, opposed to the current position of bottom-back.

As your ship had many subs, I wondered if that had to do anything with it. On displaying the bounding boxes, I noticed that the purple total bounding box was not drawn for the player. Looking in the code I noticed it was never calculated for the player, only for npc. In the past it was no problem as it was only used to draw the box in the debugging mode. But since 1.75.2, that box is used to line up the player for the docking port. So, in 1.75.2 must be an error that player ships that are taller than wide, don't line up correctly with the docking computer. (I haven't heard this bug yet, so it probably means those ships still don't excist :P )
I'm not following everything you typed, but I understand the part that player ships that are taller than wide won't line up right, when using the docking computer (which I don't use), and therefore won't make it through the Space Station dock opening? That might be kind of interesting to watch. I've already seen a couple of ships run into the Space Station docking buoy, with explosive results. :D
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman