Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Re: Oolite Wiki

Post by andrax_iON »

hiran wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:26 am
I am not sure of the connection but may as well have a blind spot.

<snip>

.. documentation telling how features are meant to be used still has to be written and read by living beings.
Understood; my apologies, I haven't followed this conversation closely, think I misread the focus
POEE CHAPLIN of the Diocese of Intemperate and Blasphemous Potentates (DIBP)
Hail Eris =><= All Hail, Discordia
I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star..
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:04 pm
I just pointed out a way to ensure we have documentation for all the artefacts. It allows a structured approach, maybe even distributing the topics over multiple forum members. The more exceptions you defend the more error prone the process becomes.

I'm afraid I am novice enough that I cannot contribute meaningful content for the pages, so that leaves the 'work' to you and more experienced commanders, maybe even the OXP authors.
Hiran,

I just wanted to say "Thank you". Your outputdir3 and wiki Index page have made what would have been a ghastly chore quite interesting and very fulfilling as I whizz through the pages. And greatly increased the quality of what I've done, too!

Thank you! You really have helped make a major improvement to our wiki.

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:33 pm
I just wanted to say "Thank you". Your outputdir3 and wiki Index page have made what would have been a ghastly chore quite interesting and very fulfilling as I whizz through the pages. And greatly increased the quality of what I've done, too!
Thank you for this feedback. :-)

In the meantime I was also thinking a bit about the quality, and there is one more slight improvement we could do. Stay tuned... ;-)
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:33 pm
I am impressed about how much activity you can put into this community. :-)

In the meantime I was also thinking a bit about where we'd end up and found out that the index I have is not complete.
While I developed the parser I bumped into obstacles, and it was cumbersome to add all the exceptions I found. So rather than accepting all the spooky things I programmed the scanner to reject anything that looks suspicious - at the prize of eventually bringing less information.

To make us better aware, here is a new version. Not only does it cover a more up to date state of the OXPs list. In the output you find timestamps when the pages were generated, and also warnings about OXPs where indescrepancies were found. These cannot be simply documented away - they need to be fixed in the OXPs themselves.

The new archive is available at https://app.box.com/s/20dsijyc4xb35gisn7k2sx5nrixdzd9z
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:14 pm
I am impressed about how much activity you can put into this community. :-)
I suppose that I'd blame 3 people for getting me hooked like this:

Cody's friendly greeting when I first joined (the one really positive thing during that first Covid lockdown)
Disembodied's wonderful work on the Rough Guide and his spellbinding expertise in handwavium
Stranger's superb world which provides so much of what Elite never had - and which was not on the wiki, prompting me to dig in and do something

And then, once I got involved, I discovered the community here, which has kept me going.

And the OXPs! My goodness! There are some real corkers out there...
And the treasures lurking in these threads ... the discussions, the humour, the fiction ...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Humour? Here? Perish the thought! I'll have you know this is a serious developers' forum!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:14 pm
In the meantime I was also thinking a bit about where we'd end up and found out that the index I have is not complete.
While I developed the parser I bumped into obstacles, and it was cumbersome to add all the exceptions I found. So rather than accepting all the spooky things I programmed the scanner to reject anything that looks suspicious - at the prize of eventually bringing less information.

To make us better aware, here is a new version. Not only does it cover a more up to date state of the OXPs list. In the output you find timestamps when the pages were generated, and also warnings about OXPs where indescrepancies were found. These cannot be simply documented away - they need to be fixed in the OXPs themselves.

The new archive is available at https://app.box.com/s/20dsijyc4xb35gisn7k2sx5nrixdzd9z
Your new wiki page is here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Hiran
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:32 pm
Your new wiki page is here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Hiran
:-) :-)

...but you will probably have to maintain it...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Putative Project!

Thinking about Hiran and others who leap into playing the game with 150 OXPs (without having first spent years struggling with the Vanilla game), I think that having all 8 "screens" described individually with OXP alterations could be rather useful.

ie:
Guides to all the GUIs (if that is what these things are!): a page for each (the 4 views would probably redirect to a single view page)

F1 page (launch)

F1 page (forwards view)

F2 page (commander "jameson" options)

F2 page (aft view)

F3 page (ship outfitting)

F3F3 page ("system" ships for sale)
F3 page (left/port/larboard view)

F4 page (ship and system interfaces)

F4 page (right/starboard view)

F5 page (commander "jameson": details)

F5F5 page (ship's manifest)

F6 page (galactic chart "1")

F6F6 page (galactic chart "1")

F7 page (data on "system")
F8 page (commodity market)

F8F8 page (commodity: "item")

See sample F3 page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/F3_pag ... utfitting)
and new commodities pages: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:Commodities

Ahem! Edit!! Add sample F8 page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/F8_pag ... ty_market)
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:15 am
ie:
Guides to all the GUIs (if that is what these things are!): a page for each (the 4 views would probably redirect to a single view page)

[...]

See sample F3 page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/F3_pag ... utfitting)
and new commodities pages: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:Commodities

Ahem! Edit!! Add sample F8 page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/F8_pag ... ty_market)
Thank you for thinking about it. Yes, indeed I tried to make most sense out of those screens but sometimes wished there would be some documentation to verify my assumptions or learn that there is more to it than what is evident at first glance.

Looking at the sample pages, I am missing a sentence or two about the gist for the screen. Such as:
F3 - Ship outfitting
Use this screen to check your ship's equipment and buy/sell from the available market.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Latest extract from the Expansion Manager's OXP list:
https://app.box.com/s/998c7q86ar0k6jbzgixg64ntkut3nty6
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:00 am
Latest extract from the Expansion Manager's OXP list
Question: In the list for BlOomberg markets, is has "No Wiki", but it definitely has one at [EliteWiki] BlOomberg Markets. What was the logic for making that determination?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 pm
Question: In the list for BlOomberg markets, is has "No Wiki", but it definitely has one at [EliteWiki] BlOomberg Markets. What was the logic for making that determination?
I just had my extractor running again to see what was happening there - and I can see that the BlOomberg markets are marked with a wiki page while I know this was not the case in the past. So I guess it is not a question of 'why' or 'what' but rather 'when'.
It is unavoidable that these pages refer to a specific time. Therefore the pages meanwhile show the creation date in the upper right, and I am publishing updated versions every now and then.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:02 pm
I just had my extractor running again to see what was happening there - and I can see that the BlOomberg markets are marked with a wiki page while I know this was not the case in the past. So I guess it is not a question of 'why' or 'what' but rather 'when'.
It is unavoidable that these pages refer to a specific time. Therefore the pages meanwhile show the creation date in the upper right, and I am publishing updated versions every now and then.
Revision history of "BlOomberg Markets"

(cur | prev) 23:16, 24 September 2019‎ Phkb (talk | contribs)‎ . . (3,273 bytes) (-6)‎ . . (→‎Overview)
(cur | prev) 23:15, 24 September 2019‎ Phkb (talk | contribs)‎ . . (3,279 bytes) (-5)‎ . . (→‎Changelog)
(cur | prev) 23:15, 24 September 2019‎ Phkb (talk | contribs)‎ . . (3,284 bytes) (+3)‎ . . (→‎Changelog)
(cur | prev) 23:14, 24 September 2019‎ Phkb (talk | contribs)‎ . . (3,281 bytes) (+386)‎
(cur | prev) 12:56, 3 June 2017‎ Norby (talk | contribs)‎ . . (2,895 bytes) (+505)‎ . . (v2.6.2)
(cur | prev) 19:21, 24 January 2016‎ Debresser (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (2,390 bytes) (0)‎ . . (Minor categorising edit.)
(cur | prev) 17:46, 24 June 2015‎ Norby (talk | contribs)‎ . . (2,390 bytes) (+853)‎ . . (v2.6)
(cur | prev) 18:50, 5 May 2014‎ Norby (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (1,537 bytes) (+151)‎ . . (OXZ link)
(cur | prev) 11:53, 24 January 2013‎ GGShinobi (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (1,386 bytes) (+10)‎ . . (typo)
(cur | prev) 11:52, 24 January 2013‎ GGShinobi (talk | contribs)‎ . . (1,376 bytes) (+30)‎ . . (Category: OXPConfig-compatible OXPs)
(cur | prev) 17:56, 26 September 2012‎ Ramirez (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (1,346 bytes) (+2)‎ . . (Minor typo fixes)
(cur | prev) 12:00, 2 June 2012‎ Svengali (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (1,344 bytes) (+26)‎
(cur | prev) 20:06, 27 July 2011‎ Ramirez (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (1,318 bytes) (-7)‎
(cur | prev) 20:04, 27 July 2011‎ Ramirez (talk | contribs)‎ . . (1,325 bytes) (+897)‎ . . (Expanded and redesigned page)
(cur | prev) 15:35, 3 October 2010‎ Maik (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (428 bytes) (+2)‎ . . (updated categorization)
(cur | prev) 15:05, 18 June 2010‎ ADCK (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (426 bytes) (-5)‎
(cur | prev) 05:39, 8 June 2010‎ ADCK (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (431 bytes) (+36)‎
(cur | prev) 05:32, 8 June 2010‎ ADCK (talk | contribs)‎ m . . (395 bytes) (+395)‎ . . (Created page with '==Overview== This expansion varies the in-game economy by generating random events that affect commodity prices. News bulletins advise players of the latest market trends and y…')
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:56 pm
hiran wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:02 pm
Revision history of "BlOomberg Markets"

(cur | prev) 23:16, 24 September 2019‎ Phkb (talk | contribs)‎ . . (3,273 bytes) (-6)‎ . . (→‎Overview)
(cur | prev) 23:15, 24 September 2019‎ Phkb (talk | contribs)‎ . . (3,279 bytes) (-5)‎ . . (→‎Changelog)
[...]
My above statement is incorrect. At that time another change impacted that all pages were marked as found.
I will investigate to find a better reason/result.