Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by another_commander »

SARR wrote:
For the moment I have yet another question regarding Oolite: My installed Version is 1.77.1, but in the forum I read about 1.79 too. Is this version already existing? I didn´t find it for download.
Hi and welcome to the game. To answer your question, version 1.79 is the one currently under development and is used mostly by OXP writers and testers who want to be up to date with the latest features that will eventually go in an official release of the game. 1.79 is not an official release yet, but there are automatic builds being made for it on a daily (or, to put it in a more accurate way, nightly) basis. Assuming you are on Windows, you can find information about them in this thread. If on another operating system, check the corresponding sub-forums for the equivalent information and download links. Oh, and if you decide to give 1.79 a try, make sure to read the disclaimer in the thread linked above.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome from east, SARR! ;)

1.79 is worth a try imho, Admirals do excellent work to keep it stable. To get some extra safety keep more install packs, store multiple savegames and should not update at every day. My practice is updating after some delay only when I decided to get a new feature which is introduced in the progress topic, due to testers will report bugs meantime if any (usually is not serious) and the dev team always fixed any problems within a few days in my past.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

SARR wrote:
Currently I am just playing arround, trading and fighting, saving money for a better ship (the python ET would be great :twisted:). As soon as my time (and family) allows, I also want to get into modding a little bit, so I can contribute someting to this great game. But thats a long way, because I´ve got no experience.....
Hi SARR and welcome :D

Never flown the Python ET but I love the look of the Neolite version: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File:N ... on_ETS.jpg
(That's not a particulary flattering picture of it in my opinion but still worth a look :) )

Dizzy's recent 'tinkering' thread https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16337 might be a good place to keep an eye on with regards to modding, as you can start to understand how things work by making minor adjustments.
To reinforce what disembodied said: folks are very helpful around here, so don't be afraid to ask :)
SARR wrote:
Btw. are you going to get Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous? The first is nothing for me because it is MMO and I have too much to do (kids, sports......) than playing 24/7 to keep up......so OOlite is right for me, beacuse I can make my own pace. And nobody cares, if I can´t play for some days or even weeks.......Elite Dangerous sounds more interesting, but I am not sure, if it really will be as good as we might assume.....
Yep, I've signed up for Elite Dangerous but like you, I've got lots of other things to do and so 'at my own pace' is very appealing...
SARR
Competent
Competent

Post by SARR »

Never flown the Python ET but I love the look of the Neolite version: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File:N ... on_ETS.jpg
(That's not a particulary flattering picture of it in my opinion but still worth a look )
I know that one, nice pic. anyway :D Alternatively I consider buying the Wolf MK I but the very limited cargo space is somehow alienating......
Dizzy's recent 'tinkering' thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16337 might be a good place to keep an eye on with regards to modding, as you can start to understand how things work by making minor adjustments.
To reinforce what disembodied said: folks are very helpful around here, so don't be afraid to ask
Thanks for the hint :)
Yep, I've signed up for Elite Dangerous but like you, I've got lots of other things to do and so 'at my own pace' is very appealing...
Didn´t dare that after the X Rebirth desaster.....fortunately I kept myself from preordering that game.....generally, I am really disappinted by the games released during the last few years :cry: -except Skyrim which is still on my HD :mrgreen:.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

SARR wrote:
Didn´t dare that after the X Rebirth desaster.....fortunately I kept myself from preordering that game.....generally, I am really disappinted by the games released during the last few years :cry: -except Skyrim which is still on my HD :mrgreen:.
I've only recently found out about the X series (I know, where have I been? :P) and bought a couple of the older ones.
Seen some of the Rebirth reviews/autopsies on YouTube... People really aren't happy about that one :|
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Hello to all Commanders.
i recently found out about oolite and immediately downloaded it , installed and died several times.... lol
I'm going to have to move the FIRE key from "a" as in a mistaken moment my wsad moving skills kicked in to adjust flight and i fired on the station... needless to say i got my but handed to me very shortly after.
I am so glad i found this game. I have spent many many hours playing Frontier Elite II back in the day and have tried several ways to play again on recent computers however dosbox etc. even VM's running win95 were awkward to say the least.
I have just read through the FAQ here and a beginners guide and wanted to thank those involved for the hints i gleaned. Hopefully i will now get to complete my first trade.i need a rank below harmless at the moment... lol.

anyway thanks for the boards and info and i am sure i will be back for help soon....

cheers Tim
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Hey Tim,

Glad to have a new Commander on board, welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat!

Cheers,
-Maik
Last edited by maik on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome spud42, good to have you aboard :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Tim, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Good Day!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

cheers guys. still havent made my first docking at zaonce.. grrrrrrrr

just cant seem to line the bay up correctly.... flew to the marker and aimed at the station bay but still crash..
more practice tonight...lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

spud42 wrote:

just cant seem to line the bay up correctly.... flew to the marker and aimed at the station bay but still crash..
Are you matching the station roll? If the station bay is lined up in front of you and you keep rolling your ship to have the bay horizontal while you dock it goes in smoothly.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:

The slower you dock, the harder it gets, as you're spending more time in the slot.. try docking at about 1/3 throttle or more..

Also, since you're using the keyboard, you may find it helpful to use Keyboard Precision Mode when docking.. to do this, hold down the Ctrl key while using the pitch and roll controls. This will give you more fine-grained control, and will make it easier to match rotation.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
spud42 wrote:

The slower you dock, the harder it gets, as you're spending more time in the slot.. try docking at about 1/3 throttle or more..

Also, since you're using the keyboard, you may find it helpful to use Keyboard Precision Mode when docking.. to do this, hold down the Ctrl key while using the pitch and roll controls. This will give you more fine-grained control, and will make it easier to match rotation.

that might help... i have been docking slow. get half way in and explode..lol
any way as this is an introduction thread i will ask any further questions in the apprporiate thread sorry for the OT......
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yep, as Diz says, docking at speed is actually easier - and welcome abaord.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!