Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Oolite Wiki

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:09 pm
Happy to give it a stab! If it works, superb! If not, we'll just to have to come up with another approach!
Well, I created this page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Index_of_artefacts
It contains nothing useful, just consists of links to other pages. From a few steps away you can see the documentation coverage just by rating red vs blue colour.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 pm
Happy to give it a stab! If it works, superb! If not, we'll just to have to come up with another approach!
It contains nothing useful, just consists of links to other pages. From a few steps away you can see the documentation coverage just by rating red vs blue colour.
Righty-ho!

What do we do next, old boy? Do we want to create links/pages for everything on your list? Or what?

What actually is your list?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I've now had a chance to peruse it and massage the old grey cells.

A fair number of the items mentioned are already on the wiki but under different page names.

Just the first 3 lines:

Trident Down
Armoury
BlOomberg Markets
Griff Asp - truly missing (see addendum below)
Cylon Raider Mark 1 Fix - mentioned on "Cylon Raider Mark 1"
MFD - CommsLog - has a differently named page: CommsLogMFD

Far Arm Ships
Rescue Stations - has a differently named page: RRS Group
Auto Eject - has a differently named page: Auto eject OXP

Generation Ships
Assassins Guild - has a differently named page: The Assassins Guild OXP
Delightful Docking
Auto Crosshairs
Distant Suns
Duplex Fuel Tank - has a differently named page: DuplexFuelTank OXP
Reverse Y Control is included on the page: Reverse Control

Auto-prime equipment
Heavy Metal Freight Hauler is included on the page: D.T.T. Ship Builders Inc.
Addons for Beginners
Fuel Collector is included on the page: Fuel Collector OXP
Liners
Santa
Diso is Jupiter 8k
Cargo Scoop as Standard - truly missing but obvious
Hyperradio PSY01 - Psychedelic is included on the page: Hyperradio Musicpacks (how on earth can anybody call this stuff "music"?!)

Indestructible Injectors
Noshader Griff's alternate stations - unsure about this one

Griff's stuff is a bit of a nightmare. He has crafted his own rather wonderful pages. Griff Industries is the general page but only mentions a small percentage of what he has contributed over the years, and the other pages (search "Griff") are similarly unhelpful. Then look for "Griff" under either author or OXZ name on the OXZ list on the Oolite.org website.

Not too sure how to tackle this one as I don't want to upset him. His contributions over the years are rather phenomenal.

Oh - and woodges of the equipment is part of Phkb's monumental "Ship Configuration OXP". You only come across it if you download it, and it is explalned on the Ship Configuration OXP wiki page - and presumably in-game on the F3 page if you are brave enough to add it to your OXP cocktail!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:26 pm
hiran wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 pm
Righty-ho!

What do we do next, old boy? Do we want to create links/pages for everything on your list? Or what?

What actually is your list?
The list is all the names of OXPs, Ships and Equipment as they come with expansions registered in the Expansion Manager.
So potentially users will install these items and want to know more about them. (at least I do)

As we already assumed, some of the pages already exist. That is good, there is no need to create them at all.
Some other pages seem to be missing. Over time it makes sense to create meaningful content.

More of a challenge is if pages exist under differernt names. You ask what should be done, and I believe there are options we can choose from:
  • we can rename the existing pages. This may make sense where a single page contains the necessary knowledge.
  • we can create a 'foreword' page that links to the other existing page(s). This would make sense either because there are multiple good pages already or we hesitate to rename the original user's page.
Renaming or adding forewords would standardize that information on any item can be found under a page with the item name. That would make it a lot easier for users to find the right content.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:24 am
The list is all the names of OXPs, Ships and Equipment as they come with expansions registered in the Expansion Manager.
So potentially users will install these items and want to know more about them. (at least I do)

As we already assumed, some of the pages already exist. That is good, there is no need to create them at all.
Some other pages seem to be missing. Over time it makes sense to create meaningful content.

More of a challenge is if pages exist under different names. You ask what should be done, and I believe there are options we can choose from:
  • we can rename the existing pages. This may make sense where a single page contains the necessary knowledge.
  • we can create a 'foreword' page that links to the other existing page(s). This would make sense either because there are multiple good pages already or we hesitate to rename the original user's page.
Renaming or adding forewords would standardize that information on any item can be found under a page with the item name. That would make it a lot easier for users to find the right content.
I think that renaming pages is not the best way to go about things, (it gives poor old Maik a major attack of the galloping heeby-jeebies for some reason that undoubtedly makes a lot of sense) if we can avoid it.

Redirects are good. I experimented with the redirects to the Breakable 'Standard' Equipment OXPs by emboldening the names on the page.
Sneak a peek at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Breaka ... pment_OXPs.

Other pages with lists of new equipment include:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/GalCop_Missions
Smugglers - The Galactic Underworld
the dreaded Ship Configuration OXP
Equipment by Ship Class - redirect to BB page
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Back to the first 3 lines of your list - just the non-linked ones.
Griff Asp - truly missing (see addendum in my long post yesterday)
Cylon Raider Mark 1 Fix - mentioned on "Cylon Raider Mark 1"
MFD - CommsLog - has a differently named page: CommsLogMFD
Rescue Stations - has a differently named page: RRS Group
Auto Eject - has a differently named page: Auto eject OXP
Assassins Guild - has a differently named page: The Assassins Guild OXP
Duplex Fuel Tank - has a differently named page: DuplexFuelTank OXP
Reverse Y Control is included on the page: Reverse Control
Heavy Metal Freight Hauler is included on the page: D.T.T. Ship Builders Inc.
Fuel Collector is included on the page: Fuel Collector OXP
Cargo Scoop as Standard - truly missing but obvious
Hyperradio PSY01 - Psychedelic is included on the page: Hyperradio Musicpacks (how on earth can anybody call this stuff "music"?!)Noshader Griff's alternate stations - unsure about this one

So, I explained about Griff above.

I would argue that Cylon Raider Mark 1 Fix, Auto Eject, Duplex Fuel Tank, Fuel Collector & Hyperradio PSY01 - Psychedelic will all be found when one starts typing the name in the search box of the wiki.

I would further argue that "Cargo Scoop as Standard" does not need a wiki page. And that what there is for "Reverse Y Control" suffices.

That leaves MFD - CommsLog, Rescue Stations, Assassins Guild & Heavy Metal Freight Hauler needing redirects.

Do you agree? What do you suggest? What would you like to do?

If we just start working through the OXZ names and leave Griff and other problematics for last? Then we can "pm" Griff and decide with him how to tackle things.

And if you dig up any unlinked pieces of equipment let me know!
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Sorry - where will "MFD-Comms Log" be seen by the player?

The F5 pages show "Comms Log MFD" as does the F3 ship outfitting page.
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm
I would further argue that "Cargo Scoop as Standard" does not need a wiki page. And that what there is for "Reverse Y Control" suffices.

That leaves MFD - CommsLog, Rescue Stations, Assassins Guild & Heavy Metal Freight Hauler needing redirects.

If we just start working through the OXZ names and leave Griff and other problematics for last? Then we can "pm" Griff and decide with him how to tackle things.

I just pointed out a way to ensure we have documentation for all the artefacts. It allows a structured approach, maybe even distributing the topics over multiple forum members. The more exceptions you defend the more error prone the process becomes.

I'm afraid I am novice enough that I cannot contribute meaningful content for the pages, so that leaves the 'work' to you and more experienced commanders, maybe even the OXP authors.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:04 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm

I just pointed out a way to ensure we have documentation for all the artefacts. It allows a structured approach, maybe even distributing the topics over multiple forum members. The more exceptions you defend the more error prone the process becomes.

I'm afraid I am novice enough that I cannot contribute meaningful content for the pages, so that leaves the 'work' to you and more experienced commanders, maybe even the OXP authors.
I'm not too sure what an artefact is! And remain unconvinced that an Oolite player would ever encounter one (as per my comments on MFD-Comms Log above). The player will see Comms Log MFD on the F3 page. And on the F5 page.

Sorry - one sees it on the Expansions Manager list! Fair enough. Redirect needed.

I suppose that my litmus test is based around typing the entry into the wiki search box. If the relevant entry comes up as a suggestion - and is recognisable - then there is no need for a new page (redirect or otherwise).
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:19 pm
I suppose that my litmus test is based around typing the entry into the wiki search box. If the relevant entry comes up as a suggestion - and is recognisable - then there is no need for a new page (redirect or otherwise).
I do enough of mastery of the dark arts so your litmus test is already implemented. ;-)
Have a look at https://app.box.com/s/s66ozjm3wzotuyeexxer38qgge8p3tzq

The index.html page does not just list all the artefacts (OXPs, equipment and ships), it also comments them with either the word "Wiki" or "Missing".
Wiki is a link to the found wiki page (and this 'found' refers to the result of the wiki search box). If no good result is returned the word "Missing" is displayed.
You may as well take it from there, although that solution does not allow the charme of the wiki page management functions to be used. And someone (currently me) would have to run the indexing regularly.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:27 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:19 pm
I do enough of mastery of the dark arts so your litmus test is already implemented. ;-)
Have a look at https://app.box.com/s/s66ozjm3wzotuyeexxer38qgge8p3tzq

The index.html page does not just list all the artefacts (OXPs, equipment and ships), it also comments them with either the word "Wiki" or "Missing".
Wiki is a link to the found wiki page (and this 'found' refers to the result of the wiki search box). If no good result is returned the word "Missing" is displayed.

You may as well take it from there, although that solution does not allow the charm of the wiki page management functions to be used. And someone (currently me) would have to run the indexing regularly.
1) Litmus test: Aaah ... that's not quite what I meant, I'm afraid. Although your implementation is very useful (but see below...).

No, take the examples of

Love Cats: as you start typing it into the box, "Lovecats.oxp" flashes up - which is the relevant wiki page
Auto Eject : as you start typing it into the box, "Auto eject OXP" flashes up - which is the relevant wiki page
Cylon Raider Mark 1 Fix: as you start typing it into the box, "Cylon Raider Mark 1" flashes up - which is the relevant wiki page - the Fix is just an override OXP making the old OXP compatible with the newer versions of Oolite
Military Missile G2: as you start typing it into the box, "Military Missile" flashes up - which is the relevant wiki page
System Features: Sunspots: as you start typing it into the box, "System Features Sunspots" flashes up - which is the relevant wiki page

In each case, if one cuts and pastes there is no link. But if one types in the words and watches the little box ...

2) While Gatling Gun (the OXP) has a wiki page and is shown as having such on your wiki Index of artefacts page, the page in the outputdir3 says no wiki! One presumes it is a minor glitch of some sort.

3) I've been using your new wiki page to decide what to mangle as it updates itself. Again, very helpful, thank you!

4) I would hope that regular indexing would be unnecessary. Once the wiki is up to date, and we know the date that it is was up to date, it is then a simple matter of checking the new additions to the Expansions Manager list on the http://www.oolite.org/ website, and adding in new equipment and OXZ's every once in a while as needed.

There have been 26 OXZ releases/updates since 1st January. Only 5 were not entered/updated on the wiki by their authors. I don't think that that is too serious a problem!
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:10 am
1) Litmus test: Aaah ... that's not quite what I meant, I'm afraid. Although your implementation is very useful (but see below...).
[...]
In each case, if one cuts and pastes there is no link. But if one types in the words and watches the little box ...
I get the point. While something like that could be implemented, it would not deliver semantically correct data. Anything potentially can flash up while typing text, and an automatic tool would not be able to guess it is the desired page. Doing that could make us feel safe and comfortable while we are actually not.
2) While Gatling Gun (the OXP) has a wiki page and is shown as having such on your wiki Index of artefacts page, the page in the outputdir3 says no wiki! One presumes it is a minor glitch of some sort.
That might be an interesting one. Do we expect the wiki index and the html index to be exactly the same? I believe the glitch comes from different matching algorithms which is ok in rare cases.
3) I've been using your new wiki page to decide what to mangle as it updates itself. Again, very helpful, thank you!

4) I would hope that regular indexing would be unnecessary. Once the wiki is up to date, and we know the date that it is was up to date, it is then a simple matter of checking the new additions to the Expansions Manager list on the http://www.oolite.org/ website, and adding in new equipment and OXZ's every once in a while as needed.

There have been 26 OXZ releases/updates since 1st January. Only 5 were not entered/updated on the wiki by their authors. I don't think that that is too serious a problem!
Sounds ok for me. If you can handle that amount of traffic I am fine with that. :-)

Actually I can see on the wiki index the red stuff slowly getting replaced by more blue stuff. So the trend is good.
In the meantime I am getting more used to flying around in ships contained in the vanilla game.

Edit: Our timezones are funny apart. While you posted on Sun May 16, 2021 12:10 pm, I was answering on Sun May 16, 2021 09:48 pm
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

Mr. C : re yr question on suggestions for the wiki, the only thing that strikes me is that there's no easy channel to development-related pages; things like the JavaScript reference page spring to mind, but I suspect there are other key pages that might be made more accessible/available from a 'landing' page, linked from the main wiki page.

Is some of hiran's work maybe a way to collect/collate dev-specific info?

cheers
POEE CHAPLIN of the Diocese of Intemperate and Blasphemous Potentates (DIBP)
Hail Eris =><= All Hail, Discordia
I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star..
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

andrax_iON wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:10 am
Mr. C : re yr question on suggestions for the wiki, the only thing that strikes me is that there's no easy channel to development-related pages; things like the JavaScript reference page spring to mind, but I suspect there are other key pages that might be made more accessible/available from a 'landing' page, linked from the main wiki page.

Is some of hiran's work maybe a way to collect/collate dev-specific info?

cheers
Maybe we can define different areas:

1. Oolite core development
2. Oolite core user documentantion
3. Oolite core developer documentation
4. OXP development
5. OXP user documentation
6. OXP developer documentation

I was actually searching for 2 and 5. While scanning the OXPs I think the information I found can help in 4 and 5.
Now I am interested what dev-specific information you might have in mind?
andrax_iON
Competent
Competent

Post by andrax_iON »

hiran wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 pm
Now I am interested what dev-specific information you might have in mind?
That's a part of my concern - as a very recent visitor to Oolite from the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy, I'm not sure.

I think your reasoning re potential categories (above) is good, but I've no idea if/what existing content might meet those descriptions; I was wondering if some of the work you've done to date might help with this.

Things like the Oolite object model (which has a neatly circular reference at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Catego ... _Reference), event handlers, property lists.. the info's there, but navigation can be challenging.

cheers 8~)
POEE CHAPLIN of the Diocese of Intemperate and Blasphemous Potentates (DIBP)
Hail Eris =><= All Hail, Discordia
I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star..
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

andrax_iON wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:50 pm
I think your reasoning re potential categories (above) is good, but I've no idea if/what existing content might meet those descriptions; I was wondering if some of the work you've done to date might help with this.
I am not sure of the connection but may as well have a blind spot.

By scanning OXPs we can find out what Oolite core features they consume or what other items they offer. This may serve as examples to showcase parts of the OXP api. But while a scanner can find facts, it will never find intent. So a documentation telling how features are meant to be used still has to be written and read by living beings.
andrax_iON wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:50 pm
Things like the Oolite object model (which has a neatly circular reference at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Catego ... _Reference), event handlers, property lists.. the info's there, but navigation can be challenging.
Good catch! That is a topic suitable both for Oolite core and OXP development. So we need to allow single topics to be visible/reachable from several areas. And the areas resemble use cases.