[UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

spara wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:46 pm
Nice work cbr. Really nice. Looking real good.

I'm a bit out of touch, but at least in the past the role of the ship defined what the ship was/does. Role station creates a station. Probably the best tutorial with these sorts of things is the game itself. Look at the config of the native station, including the hermit and figure the workings from there.
1) Spara, what should be done about including cbr's new textures? Should we do it ourselves (those of us not volunteering in the cyberwar defending the Ukraine), or should you rather be the one to put it up?
cbr wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:19 pm

2) Other possible needed retextures:
spara wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:52 pm
In the latest released version this station was the same rock, but with a broken textures for the box in the entrance. Don't know if it at some point was planned to be or even was a different rock with chunk taken off. Thus the broken station can be cobbled from the new station by altering the docking slit or adding some debris or something. I think :D.

There are two other models that could require some love too, if fancied. Monitor stations are here and there and you see them from time to time so they are priority one. On one mission there is a crashed anaconda and on another there is a crystalloid. Both are sort of one shots, but they are quite outdated nevertheless. I had an idea of using an iceasteroid for the crystalloid, but don't really recall what I did with the wreck. At least I experimented with the current core models, but did it go anywhere. Bugger. It's been too long for one to remember.
3) Mission Wreckers
Also: for an update coming out on the Expansions Manager, we can exclude OXP's which would wreck the mission.
Über-ships, über-weapons, Telescope, Long Range Scanner, Repair Bots, Technical Reference Library, Gallery, the recently published Galactic Almanac etc - are any of these definite plot-wreckers for Xeptatl's Sword? Do any of us remember this OXP - and can any of us judge?

4) GitHub:
If I were to bung up this oxp on my GitHub account, does that mean that everybody else can get into it and tweak it? Unless somebody else would rather do this - I made an almighty mess (.plists in wrong folders...) of my education.oxp on Github and have no idea as to how to fix it!

Reference:
Spara's rejig of XS: version 3.0: https://app.box.com/s/yaw4mif1p014grd5cxx8z6zqiy86w0dc (from above: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:26 am)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:50 pm
...are any of these definite plot-wreckers for Xeptatl's Sword? Do any of us remember this OXP...
If memory serves, we developed XS to be hard but doable for an experienced commander in an iron-assed Cobra. Obviously, über ships/weapons would make it much easier. Does that wreck the mission? Personally, I think it does - but others may disagree.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:17 pm
...are any of these definite plot-wreckers for Xeptatl's Sword? Do any of us remember this OXP...
If memory serves, we developed XS to be hard but doable for an experienced commander in an iron-assed Cobra. Obviously, über ships/weapons would make it much easier. Does that wreck the mission? Personally, I think it does - but others may disagree.
But would Telescope (and the others) wreck it? ... and, which oxp's would wreck Coyote's Run?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

It all depends on what one wants from a mission (or from the game itself, for that matter). A Sunday afternoon stroll through the park? Or a late-night sneak through the back streets of the wrong side of town? Different strokes, as they say.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:13 am
But would Telescope (and the others) wreck it? ... and, which oxp's would wreck Coyote's Run?
If there's any part of those which has "activity" in interstellar space, there's quite a few OXPs/OXZs that run merry havoc with LOTS more and/or tougher Thargoids.

For Xeptatl's Sword, reprogramming the Galactic Hyperdrive can partially foul up the plot...due to jumping close to a destination on the next Galactic Chart.
The common one that can do this is Galactic Hyperdrive OXP at: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Galac ... rdrive_OXP
My rare one is Quantum Drive - Galactic Hyperdrive mod! at: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21146
...There is also a mission OXP or 2 that changes this as well, but usually only to allow them to reach unreachable systems.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:35 pm
Ok!

Bump docking with the rockoid...

With a bit of liquid-forum-luck.
My guess would be the role "himsn_station_buoy", that has the word "station" in it, thus Oolite probably sees it as a station.
From cim & spara

Added the word station to its roles and could dock... ( wah :? )

Still, a complete station making tutorial has to be somewhere?
cbr (since we sadly seem to have lost Spara for the duration), what would you need to finish fixing up Xeptatl's sword? I'm perfectly happy to bug people for you if you can tell me what is needed. If you are willing, of course.

Needed retextures (from Spara's list):
*In the latest released version this station was the same rock, but with broken textures for the box in the entrance. Don't know if it at some point was planned to be or even was a different rock with chunk taken off. Thus the broken station can be cobbled from the new station by altering the docking slit or adding some debris or something. I think.
*Monitor stations are here and there and you see them from time to time so they are priority one.
*On one mission there is a crashed anaconda and on another there is a crystalloid. Both are sort of one shots, but they are quite outdated nevertheless. I had an idea of using an icesteroid for the crystalloid, but don't really recall what I did with the wreck. At least I experimented with the current core models, but did it go anywhere? Don't remember.
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

In need of information regarding the dock and station building / positioning, which seems scarce...

I left the rocks alone for the moment and tried to make a simple station ( dock = red ).
Still boom docking...

We can wait for Spara ofcourse, we want it done right not fast :)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:32 am
We can wait for Spara ofcourse, we want it done right not fast :)
Fair enough.

Did you have any ideas about the other textures which he flagged up? And are you happy with the looks of the rest of the oxp? I'm quite impressed by the Xeptatl Society HQ
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

In need of information regarding the dock and station building / positioning, which seems scarce...
Not very documented now that you mention it.
For starters you just leave a 192m x 64m slit (material defined as a "hole" in the model).. Always facing the Z axis.. There are of course plenty of fine docks you can directly borrow or modify, or build the 192x64x250 cube yourself, skinning its insides to your pleasure.. The unification of the two happens in the shipdata.plist. But you probably already know this and are wondering about something else?
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

The position of the dock model relatively to the center of x,y,z par example.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

cbr wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:28 pm
The position of the dock model relatively to the center of x,y,z par example.
A concise answer is surely found among the teachings Cmdr Ch:ley has gathered into [EliteWiki] OXP howto dockable stations, but the short answer, I'd say that if the station rotates, the center of the dock-hole must be at x=0 y=0..
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I left the rocks alone for the moment and tried to make a simple station ( dock = red ).
Still boom docking...

We can wait for Spara of course, we want it done right not fast :)
Anything I can do to help get this one finished?

Is there a need for more models of some sort? Or other problems? Or people I could help bugging?
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Perhaps listing problems or things missing could help?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Attempt to summarise the Status Quo

Relevant (edited) comments are as follows:

0) Generic
spara wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:26 am
A longish time ago I did a massive update to the oxp in co-operation with Smivs, but never released it. The main reason was that some of the models were badly updated and I did not want to release the new version with them.
spara wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:31 am
Smiv's original version is so outdated, it's basically broken. My updated version fixed coding, structure and what not. It got stuck on the outdated model of the monitor station. After that it would have needed some more testing because of the number of fixes and changes. I'll change the version number and then it can be released as an unfinished update, which should work just fine :D.
1) Monitor Station
spara wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:43 pm
The monitor station was the one the update got stuck on. I wanted to replace it, but could not find a suitable substitute. Retexturing also did not look good enough. The station is a low tech, one man surveillance station, if someone wants to create one. Otherwise the models are "good enough". At least up to my standards :D

Oh and by the way. That is the original Oolite rock hermit. More or less.
Cody wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:22 pm
I'd be interested to see what the broken station looks like (broken, as in missing a chunk by design.)
It's so long ago, I can only remember it was fun/tricky to dock at.
In the latest released version it was the same rock, but with a broken textures for the box in the entrance. Don't know if it at some point was planned to be or even was a different rock with chunk taken off. Thus the broken station can be cobbled from the new station by altering the docking slit or adding some debris or something. I think :D.
Cholly's comment: OXP howto dockable stations by Svengali (unfinished, 2009) One presumes that either Griff or Killer Wolf might be able to help with this one.

2) Crashed Anaconda & Crystalloid
There are two other models that could require some love too, if fancied. Monitor stations are here and there and you see them from time to time so they are priority one. On one mission there is a crashed anaconda and on another there is a crystalloid. Both are sort of one shots, but they are quite outdated nevertheless. I had an idea of using an iceasteroid for the crystalloid, but don't really recall what I did with the wreck. At least I experimented with the current core models, but did it go anywhere. Bugger. It's been too long for one to remember.
Cholly's comment: There are two iceasteroid oxp's - the one not on the Expansions Manager is Griff's.
montana05 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:37 am
On one mission there is a crashed anaconda and on another there is a crystalloid. Both are sort of one shots, but they are quite outdated nevertheless. I had an idea of using an iceasteroid for the crystalloid, but don't really recall what I did with the wreck. At least I experimented with the current core models, but did it go anywhere. Bugger. It's been too long for one to remember.
I can modify an Anaconda for you, same style as the ship wrecks at SIRF. Regarding the iceasteroid, a design similar to the Quirium Crystal might work.
3) Second broken station
spara wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:27 pm
Cody wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:04 pm
Somewhere in the original (the one I was test pilot for) there was a proper station (not a rock). From a very dim memory, it had a central dock and two arms, one of which was broken, but it was still rotating. Perhaps Smivs removed it?
That has been unchanged.

4) Wrecking OXP's needing to be listed as "Conflicting" in the Manifest.plist
Switeck wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:56 am
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:13 am
If there's any part of those which has "activity" in interstellar space, there's quite a few OXPs/OXZs that run merry havoc with LOTS more and/or tougher Thargoids.

For Xeptatl's Sword, reprogramming the Galactic Hyperdrive can partially foul up the plot...due to jumping close to a destination on the next Galactic Chart.
The common one that can do this is Galactic Hyperdrive OXP at: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Galac ... rdrive_OXP
My rare one is Quantum Drive - Galactic Hyperdrive mod! at: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21146
...There is also a mission OXP or 2 that changes this as well, but usually only to allow them to reach unreachable systems.
Cholly's comment: One presume that testing will uncover others

Edited to remove #3 which does not yet need tampering with
Last edited by Cholmondely on Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:07 am
Attempt to summarise the Status Quo

Relevant (edited) comments are as follows:

3) Second broken station
spara wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:27 pm

That has been unchanged.

This can be removed from the list, I think...

This Triangle-Dumbell-station looks fine and original to me...