Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Looking ahead

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Looking ahead

Post by ADCK »

Thargoid wrote:
Scripting - it would be too much to do via a shipdata key given the information that is needed.
I think it could be done with a new key entry if all you want something to do is say move 50 units left, then move 50 units right... Not sure how it would look, maybe something like:

Code: Select all

subentities =
		(
			{
				subentity_key = "adck_sucks_at_names";
				is_moving = "50.0 50.0 0.5";
				movement_orientation = ( 1, 0, 0, 1);
			},
		);
The first number is the amount it first moves in one direction, second number amount it moves in the opposite direction, third number the speed, and the orientation bit which way it's moving.

(this doesn't work in game, but is a suggestion for Oolite2, I hope something like this gets added)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oolite 2 will not make any attempt to switch to “realistic” scales – not because it’s wrong or will inherently make the game worse, but because it would be a far bigger departure from Elite than we want. I am considering changing the relative sizes of the standard ships somewhat, but I consider that a somewhat radical change.
Vibrator wrote:
it's a 'retro' concession to 8-bit nostalgia.
Well, yes. That’s our mission statement.

If you think Frontier was a better game, you might be interested in Pioneer.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
Oolite 2 will not make any attempt to switch to “realistic” scales – not because it’s wrong or will inherently make the game worse, but because it would be a far bigger departure from Elite than we want. I am considering changing the relative sizes of the standard ships somewhat, but I consider that a somewhat radical change.
Are there already some more detailed thoughts about this? Is it just about bringing the Anaconda more in-line with the rest of the bunch (= make it bigger), or are you thinking about more than that? What would the general direction be, if it's possible to say at this point?
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Another thought for Oolite 2.0 would be external view with X/Y panning and zoom. Maybe a fly-by cam option as well, that would just be stationary and a bit off to the side and track your ship as you zoom past.

While it may perhaps seem like a needless eye-candy/gloat item to some folks, bear in mind that a prospective player considering downloading a game often makes their decision based on what screenshots or video footage of the game they've seen.

As to the simulation topic, I would have to agree that Oolite is not much of a sim, and isn't likely to become one. There are some excellent space flight sims out there, and they can be great when that's what you're in the mood for. I like doing soft planetary landings or orbital docking with realistic physics and controls sometimes. But that's not what Elite was about or Oolite is about. This is fast paced action and adventure, an excellent game. It is very enjoyable for what it is, if you don't try to judge it by the criteria of what it is *not*.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Scaling, er, “discussion” split off.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
Are there already some more detailed thoughts about this?
I haven’t thought about it in detail. My basic idea was to make the Anaconda twice as big, or more, the shuttle and asp half or less of their current size, and scale the other ships so they look about right, with the Cobra III retaining its size.

An obvious problem is that if docking slits stayed the same size relative to the Cobra III, the Python, Boa and Anaconda wouldn’t be able to dock. For NPCs, this could be handled using shuttles, but it would make them unavailable to the player.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just a thought......leave the anaconda, boas and python as they are to keep docking simple. Reduce the anaconda's cargo to something sensible, say 250TC. Resize the shuttle and Asp as described, and slightly reduce the Cobra Mk 3 in size.
</controversial mode>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Smivs wrote:
Resize the shuttle and Asp as described, and slightly reduce the Cobra Mk 3 in size.
</controversial mode>
What’s the difference between making the Cobra smaller and making the docking bay bigger? :-)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
Are there already some more detailed thoughts about this?
I haven’t thought about it in detail. My basic idea was to make the Anaconda twice as big, or more, the shuttle and asp half or less of their current size, and scale the other ships so they look about right, with the Cobra III retaining its size.

An obvious problem is that if docking slits stayed the same size relative to the Cobra III, the Python, Boa and Anaconda wouldn’t be able to dock. For NPCs, this could be handled using shuttles, but it would make them unavailable to the player.
Resize the ships as per your thoughts, and make the docking slits bigger, would be my preference. Docking is easy for old hands, and intimidatingly hard for a lot of new players, who get to struggle their way through to reach a safe harbour only to die while parking. A bigger docking slit (and a bigger station, rotating more slowly) would give the game a bit of wow-factor scale, make it easier for new players to pick up.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ahruman wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Resize the shuttle and Asp as described, and slightly reduce the Cobra Mk 3 in size.
</controversial mode>
What’s the difference between making the Cobra smaller and making the docking bay bigger? :-)
None really. The main advantage is that you only have to change the Cobby, otherwise you end up changing the docking ports and this might need changes to the stations. In a nut-shell, it's easier.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The newer main station types probably should have larger docking ports, as an example of progress.
But in no case should Anacondas be unable to dock at the Coriolis Station.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

However, if the Cobra MkIII is the de facto standard ship, knowing the scaling is wrong, most ship designers have made the decision "bit bigger than a Cobby3", "bit smaller than a Cobby3" and based speed and cargo capacity on that, if you rescale the Cobby III do you have to rescale all the other ships?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
However, if the Cobra MkIII is the de facto standard ship, knowing the scaling is wrong, most ship designers have made the decision "bit bigger than a Cobby3", "bit smaller than a Cobby3" and based speed and cargo capacity on that, if you rescale the Cobby III do you have to rescale all the other ships?
Which is perhaps why our Grand Admiral is contemplating to not rescale the Cobby III. :wink:
Ahruman wrote:
... and scale the other ships so they look about right, with the Cobra III retaining its size.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Fiendishly clever, these Admirals... it's not all 'pink gins' and 'long lunches' at the Admiralty, you know.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Which is perhaps why our Grand Admiral is contemplating to not rescale the Cobby III. :wink:
Ahruman wrote:
... and scale the other ships so they look about right, with the Cobra III retaining its size.
Didn't see that - I was replying to Smivs!

At least I seem to be in a similar mind to Ahruman on this one!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here