Tionisla Orbital Graveyard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

yes, those grins are inapropriate in the mortuary industry.

I always imagined some of the ship-tombs to have droid guardians, but no further aplication than that. I could slap on a few signs on the PRdroid's back once the branding is done and put it out there in other systems. ideas for a tasteless funeral service ad-campaign?

but instead of piling on with monuments, maybe there are some off-load tasks I could do? I notice you're not putting out too many pLists there AH.. ;)
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

:p nah that is the bussiness of the other guys, I just demand things tobe done basically. ;)

Seriously: I just give a few hints such as gun/engine locations, axis of travel, rotation of parts, possible roles, etc. and hope Rxck and Selezen can put it in an Plist and eventually an OXP.

I just make models and some skins. :oops:
edit: and a lot of noise on the board.

Deadvertising: Don't be square: be dead.
Take your rightfull place amongst histories greatest Eliteers, reserve your slot at Tionisla Graveyard Now and get a free pair of fluffy dice!
No admittance for trumble infested ships.

Lots of potential there for fun lads!
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

OK...I go away for an hour and suddenly there's a barrage of comments!!

:shock:

OK...Murgh, your aid would be appreciated with plisting for the shuttlepod AI. The shuttlepod just needs to fly around the GY in a figure 8 then return to the station and dock... There should always be a minimum of 3 in the yard. If attacked they should turn and run for the station whilst screaming for help. If any of that is too ambitious, just don't do it!!! :wink:

Also, if you can work out a way for the gy station to have its docking slit actually facing the graveyard, that would be great. And having it spinning would be orgasmic... :?

Droids. Can't think of any use they would have in a graveyard, so no thanks, not at the moment unless anyone can think of a use?

Arnoud: where the yard is currently located (200,000 to 220,000m out from Tionisla towards the planet) the dodo is visible (1km diameter) as are the perimeter beacons (300m diameter). The latter are simple dots at that distance, but the station is about 5-6 pixels across... I think the draw distance for objects depends on the size and distance combined, since the derelict ships in there aren't drawn until you get a lot closer.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Indeed. Just what we need: some fresh blood to get the creative juices flowing anew.

Strange I thought I read that draw distance was 3 km somewhere. . . but you are right: the station is drawn way before coming into sensor range.
I'll resize any monuments you want, just a simple scaling opperation.
Don't think Rxck will be too pleased though he'll have to redo everyting he's done.

edit:
The dockin slit problem could be circumvented by altering the plist
as to rotate the normal dockingslit around 180 degrees. (plus all other frontside elements.) [if Y is the rotation-axis of station rotate 180 around x or z]
I know you insist on using the standard station, but if it won't work, we'll have to modify it.
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Don't think Rxck will be too pleased though he'll have to redo everyting he's done.
heehee.. no problem; Been sitting on my hands for awhile anyway...

Murgh, you do the AI's then? Or is that still Selezen's ballpark?

(Can't follow anymore... where/who/what are we? :lol: )
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

The distance after which an object is not drawn is defined in Oolite as (roughly):

sqrt ( diameter * diameter * 262144) m

So for a 100m diameter object that's sqrt(2621440000) or 51200m, for a 50m diameter object, 25600m, and for a 25m diameter object, 12800m.

One more thing you might consider: objects in shadow are considerably less visible than those that are lit. Put the GY in Tionisla's umbra and this all gets a lot easier.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

That's not an option. The Dark wheel sez it's between sun and planet...
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Rxke wrote:
That's not an option. The Dark wheel sez it's between sun and planet...
Ah well, there's a lot of space there for it to go in.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Arexack_Heretic

roughly 1 AU if the Tionisla-sun is G-type.
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

The visibility thing is not a problem - I like the fact that there is a visual cue as to where the GY is. In my test version, after launching, if you spin and face the sun (mind that station!), then you can see the dodo about a cm out from the sun's disc. It's cunningly disguised as a blob the same rough size as the bigger stars... :lol:

If you look a _little_ more carefully, you can make out the hexagonal perimeter (beacons).

I think this is a good balance - it's not immediately obvious what it is, but it's obvious enough to be noticeable...

I may post an alpha version of the current devs soon so you can all get a look at the WIP.

Here's a test rendering of the pod I was talking about earlier...

If Murgh wants to do the AIs, that's fine by me...I've got enough to do plotting this damned spiral. I've done AI for the beacon, but can't get it to work as desired...Murgh, if you read back through some of this stuff, the outline for what it needs to do is listed...

The plist files for the AIs are available at http://www.hughesd.co.uk/elite/content/ ... onisla.asp along with images and whatever I remember to upload.

For everyone's reference, here is the staff list:

Selezen: plisting, scripting, design
Rxke: plisting, model conversions, comms, plisting
Arexack_Heretic: model designs, textures, stuff, plisting
Murgh: AI plists, guidance...

Edit: I tried flying a Cobra from planet to sun without using the J key - it takes about 25 mins.

My maths tell me that a 0.3 LS flight between Earth and the Sun would take...25 mins...

Coincidence? :wink:
Last edited by Selezen on Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

trailing comma at your link.

Thanks for putting that up!

it is current? I remember d/l ing a plist or something, awhile ago but it was still one of my very first trials... (or was that at the 'uploader... hmmmm ze brains, they're truly shot...)
Arexack_Heretic

25 mins! How did you manage not to crash into the planet?
I tend to overshoot the station when writing on these boards while waiting to close the gap....
At least you have empirically shown the distance to be 1AU then. :)
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

graveyardbeaconAI.plist cannot be found...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Fixed the graveyardai.plist file - darned spaces...

The plists on there were uploaded today, so should be up to date.

I'll add a date field in there at some point so you know when the last update was done.

Also, Arnoud, I changed my post above - I meant to say that I flew from planet to sun...
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

ok lads I got the AIs and will see what I can make of them.
this is without doubt the way to learn it..

maybe I'm incorrect here but I don't think having the GYDodo face another direction while spinning in a fixed position is the most difficult ambition on the list. (is it placed in a LaGrange point? is that the alibi? :shock: )

right. making a shuttle fly around in a figure 8 :?