Replacing Constores with Griff Trade outposts@Griff and Doc

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Pangloss wrote:
The problem with removing Realistic Shipyards... I'm flying a Morrigan. I even changed the paint to a nice soothing shade of blue. Opening a saved game without it won't work. Guess I'll have to get to Tionisla from Lave brand new to check it out...
I would use an alternate savegame for playtesting that doesn't need other oxps. A cobbled-together self-hacked oxp with a faster Cobbie variant, just to be able to go and have a look without your Morrigan if the need arises to do it without RS? Just a thought.

Did you buy that Morrigan? Respect ... you must have taken some time to acquire this kind of credits :shock:

Cheers

L
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Pangloss wrote:
Ark wrote:
Remove ALL the sets (YOUR_AD_HERE_set_A.oxp, YOUR_AD_HERE_set_B.oxp... ect ALL of them) and the basic oxp (YOUR_AD_HERE.oxp) then install the wip and start oolite by pressing the shift key.
I have no idea if the realistic shipyards have code from the shipdata.plist of the original version of Your_AD_HERE oxp but if this is the case remove the realistic shipyards oxp also. Please ignore Lastrate recomentation
I took EVERYTHING out of the AddOns.

I restarted, to make sure everything was back to standard. I even started with Shift at this stage too.

then I Quit the game, moved it all back to the AddOns folder, and restarted... and the Stores still look like boxes with "Hourly Auctions" on the back wall.

I took out Halsis, restarted a couple of times with Shift, even left the galaxy and went to a Level 12 Rich Corporate world in Galaxy 2 (Vezaaes)... no change. That was the most recent OXP I installed, and I could see the Griff Stores beforehand, so I thought that was it. Apparently not.

The problem with removing Realistic Shipyards... I'm flying a Morrigan. I even changed the paint to a nice soothing shade of blue. Opening a saved game without it won't work. Guess I'll have to get to Tionisla from Lave brand new to check it out...

EDIT - nope. removed the Shipyard, started with the plain old Cobra III, flew to Zaonce and then to Tionisla, the store is still just a box.

HELP!!
In the screenshot you have an old Pi-42 constore but with the name of tescoo ooxpress. Those constores exit only in YOUR_AD_HERE_set_E.oxp and set_F. Those sets are not updated yet but they can coexist with the new ones but in this case you have a mixed population of constores (old and new ones) I am 99% sure that the problem is the SET_F that your are using. Please remove YOUR_AD_HERE_set_F.oxp!!!!
If this does not work remove everything, start oolite (no need for the shift key) exit and install only the wip (basic set and sets A,B,C, & D)

@DaddyHoggy: you have the fps drop when you face all deferent type of constores?
This is very essential because 2 constores have a high resolution adring and the rest 2 a normal res adring. In my system I did not see any deference so I did that on purpose. I want to see if the high res adrings will cause a drop of the fps in low end systems.

EDIT:
Oh!! and by the way since you can not take screenshots:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3158/roof1bb6.png

This is a valid replacement for the roof billboard. It has movement and symmetry and also to the right size.
What I do not like (I want to be honest with you) is that white line that surrounds the whole image so maybe you can clean this up. Also it would be bad if you try to sharpen the image a little bit. If you see the drinking spaceman the colors are very bright and the image extremely sharp (it is a neon billboard after all). Griif, daddyHoggy and the rest of the community what do you think?

Oh! And we are going to need a no shader (single frame) version. Look griff’s no shader drinking spaceman to see what I mean
Good work Pangloss!!
:D
Last edited by Ark on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

I'll do the clean-up tomorrow... no idea what the line is. Sharpening up will be no problem... I was stupid in that I reduced the image sizes first to 200px each, then I put them in a 5-frame animation, then enlarged it slightly to the 1024 pixels (maybe THAT'S where the white line comes from). So I'll just do it again with the original images, THEN resize it down.

OK... when I remove Set F, I get no stores at all. When I include it, I only get the box stores. The plot thickens...
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

please pangloss remove everything, start oolite (no need for the shift key), exit and install only the new wip (basic set and sets A,B,C, & D) then start oolite. First tell me if you can see the stations in the demo screen
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

griff_waving_robot.png
griff_no_shaders_waving_robot.png

Code: Select all

"griff_station_roof_billboard_waving_robot" = 
	{
	ai_type = "nullAI.plist";
	model = "griff_station_roof_billboard.dat"; 
	roles = "griff_station_subent";
	materials = 
        { 
        // Swap out texture when shaders are off 
        "griff_no_shader_drinking_spaceman.png" = { diffuse_map = "griff_no_shaders_waving_robot.png"; }; 
        };	
	shaders = 
    { 
        "griff_no_shader_drinking_spaceman.png" = 
        { 
            vertex_shader = "griff_station_animated.vertex"; 
            fragment_shader = "griff_station_animated_billboard.fragment"; 

textures = ("griff_waving_robot.png"); 
            uniforms = 
            { 
				FrameCount = { type = "float"; value = 8.0; };
				TimePerFrame = { type = "float"; value = 0.4; };				
                uTime = "timeElapsedSinceSpawn"; 
            }; 
        }; 
	};	
	};	

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Looking at the image Ark posted of the funky chicken - I'd say there's been some creep in the transparency - as Pangloss suspects this is usually caused when rescaling.

And as you can't get it running - here's something to whet your appetite:

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Mac tester wanded!! :oops: Mac tester wanted!!
Since we are unable to determine the source of the Pangloss problem I would really appreciate if anybody with some experience in oolite – oxps and a Mac (with a video card capable of opengl2.0) is willing to test the wip. I want to see if the problem Pangloss has is something more general in the Macs (although I do not believe so)
Moreover every help somebody with a Mac can give to Pangloos would be really appreciated. Griif and I are PC users and DaddyHoggy is a Linux user

@ DaddyHoggy: Is something wrong with the top -right glowad in the screenshot you posted or something is wrong with my eyes?
Also the Tescoo ooxpress uses a normal resolution adring and still 21FPS (so much for my theory about normal and high res adrings).
What if you turn into simple shader mode?
I am affraid that we have to accept the fact that Griff's creations are err ...a little bit demanding from the hardware

@Griff: In the code you posted there is also the griff_no_shader_drinking_spaceman.png in some places. Is that right?
Last edited by Ark on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Ark - I can live with 21FPS when I'm close to the station - and when my better half has finished with the PC I've got a better card (not much but a bit) gfx card to fit (massively overclocked (for its time) gaming 256MB FX5950 Ultra) which should help.

With regards to the top right glow ad - well spotted - it seems to be orientated incorrectly (90deg out I think). Griff?

BTW, "Mac tester wanded" :) Only Harry Potter need apply... :lol: :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
BTW, "Mac tester wanded" :) Only Harry Potter need apply... :lol: :wink:
:oops: (Do not forget that I am not a native English speaker)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hi Ark - I am aware of your non-native English status - and hence lots of smileys and winks. I think your English is quite remarkable (like many others on this board who are not native English speakers) - I would never correct anybody's use of English (unless it was plain wrong and or lead to confusion) but on this occassion the mistake was just very funny - no harm was intended just pointing out a genuinely humorous mistake.

(As an aside and this may not make any sense to you - I was born in Scotland and raised by "Geordie" parents in the NE of England - it has been suggested on more than one occasion that I'm technically not a native English speaker either!!!)

I have the absolute respect for anybody who has learned English when it's not their first language and I'm often shamed by my own lack and my nation's as a whole seeming inability to learn other languages (I failed French and German at school - I did conversational French evening classes as an adult but never practiced and therefore I forgot it all and I did just enough Japanese to get me through my Karate gradings and to be respectful to visiting Japanese Masters)
Selezen wrote:
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Do not worry :lol:
No offence taken (really!!). To tell you the truth it was a typo. I am a bad speller even in my own native language :oops:
BTW can you verify the problem with the glowad?.I am pretty sure that I haven’t seen it in my PC although now at office so I can not be 100% sure (I have to check it again at home)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

To forcibly bring us back on-topic, I can test on a mac.

Anything to get my hands on one of those griff ships
anything to help the development of an oxp by my forum friends
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

First, the dancing cockerel without the halo...

I made the surround slightly thicker (using a stroke) and saw the halo even on the larger images. Anyhow: that has now, hopefully, been corrected. Let me know how it looks.

---

OK, on to the Mac problem.

I took out every OXP. Then I added Your Ad Here, Your Ad Here A, B, C, and D. Flew from Zaonce to Tionisla... and nothing. No ConStore at all.

I then added Set F and did the same thing. This time, a Con Store... but still, just one of the boxy ones.

So I think we have eliminated the possibility that it's a conflict with another OXP. Something in Version 3 doesn't let me see the Griff ConStores. And it's something that wasn't an issue with Version 2.

Hope this helps.

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

@Pangloss:
Ark wrote:
tell me if you can see the stations in the demo screen
Also i need the log (but i have no idea where you can find it on a Mac)
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Ark wrote:
@Pangloss:
Ark wrote:
tell me if you can see the stations in the demo screen
Also i need the log (but i have no idea where you can find it on a Mac)
Here's the box on the demo screen... no swanky station.

...and if I remove Set F, there is no station on the demo screen.