MandoTech Industries, Inc.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: MandoTech Industries, Inc.

Post by mandoman »

Okay, I think I have it now. As you can see, I still haven't completely smoothed the edges, but I'm getting closer.

Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Rich Agricultural - Mainly Liquors/wines - Burgondy France

Post by Kasero »

Ahh YES! 8)

Very nice work Mandoman.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Kasero wrote:
Ahh YES! 8)

Very nice work Mandoman.
Thank you, I appreciate it. :)

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Well, I think I got things together decently on this little yellow ship. It's called the MT1024Explorer. I plan on releasing it soon, as it flies beautifully.

Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Heh, nice. The colors and shape immediately reminded me of

The Flying Submarine from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Ooh that's shiny!
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Nice ship! :)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
You have to try the impossible to achieve the possible. (Emil Sinclair, 1877 - 1962)
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Thanks guys. It took a while, but I finally got it the way I wanted. It looks like that sub, because that is what I modeled it after, which I'm sure you know. I tried to change it some so it wouldn't be an exact duplicate, though. It really is a perfect design for an Oolite ship. Wish I had thought of it first, LOL!!! :lol:

Oh, and I'm also working on a version of the bigger mother ship. Proportions will be off, of course. :)

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Any one want to jam? :mrgreen:

This is the Petra. After seeing several different album covers with a guitar pictured as a space ship, I thought I would build my own. Consequently, I named it after my favorite Christian Rock group, Petra. It was just for fun, but if any one wants one, I'll post it up. Here are a few pics.

Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Kasero »

8)
Not bad at all, really.

Mandoman, if you plan to release Petra, would you post numbers about this ship?

Thanks a lot.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Well, for one thing it's really long. Not big, just long, but the Stations will still dock you with auto-pilot. You can't see them very well, but there are ball turrets on the top, and bottom of the head, and two ball turrets in the back, mounted on what would be plug holes on a guitar. That has left me with a dilemma. I have the max speed set at 380, so it isn't slow, but when I went up against the really fast ships that pirates were using, it was a real trick holding my own. That brings me to the next catch. I ended up putting the energy recharge rate up to 9.5, with max energy at 800. I know that sounds ridiculous, but honest, I was lucky to come away with a whole skin when I came upon a gang of pirates, even with those high numbers. I ended up having to replace my Iron Hide, and lost the tiny bit of cargo I had, in the fight. Now, one must also understand that my Ooniverse is stocked with the nastiest ship oxps available, on top of of my own bruisers, so that could be a major factor in the kind of damage I was taking. I'm still testing, though, so maybe I'll come upon a more reasonable combo. :)

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Okay, after a bit of testing, I have the max energy down to 500, and the recharge rate at 5.5. I'm going to lower the recharge rate to 4.5 for the next run, and am thinking of dropping the max energy to 450. The problem with using ball turrets is the amount of energy they take away from the ship shields, and then if you have to fire off your ecm, the energy plunges rapidly. As many ships as I have put ball turrets on, the main ship I fly doesn't have any. This means that every time I go out in a ship armed with ball turrets, I have to relearn dogfight strategy. One major trick is to target one ship, so the ball turrets have something to fire at, and while they are busy with the targeted ship I go after any others within range of my lasers. The last encounter I had was against three pirates. My shields took quite a beating, but I was able to prevail using the fore mentioned tactic. It's fun. I'm betting that lowering the energy below 450, and recharge below 4.5 will be too low with the armament this ship packs.

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

After my latest encounter on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that I, for the most part, should avoid forums. I have never taken harsh criticism well, and it has haunted me my whole life. Suffice it to say that I will not be making many posts anymore, except here in my own thread. If I post, it will only to be for showing a new ship I have made, though I'm going to back off of that quite a bit as well. If, after showing the ship, someone would like a copy of the oxp, that person can send me a PM, and I'll give them the link for the oxp. I will not be responding to any posts in this thread. If you want the oxp, PM me. If this sounds harsh, I'm sorry, but I can't seem to control myself when criticised.. I still love to play Oolite, and though I won't be making as many ships, will probably be trying out new, clear ideas I may have.

This post means nothing to most of you, and I understand that, but I needed to clarify my actions.

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Please do continue creating your ships.. they might not be to everyone's tastes, but you have plenty of fans here, and you come up with some very good-looking ships. I'd urge you to consider still making wiki entries for them as well, not just offering them here via PM.

Enjoy your break from the board.. we all need one now and then.

8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Kasero »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Please do continue creating your ships.. [...] you have plenty of fans here, and you come up with some very good-looking ships. [...]
This!

I like very much your creations. I will PM you Mandoman.