Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

50 done! I've decided to only have 64 home planet textures to start with, plus 32 moon/extra planet textures.

I'm getting there... Slowly but surely :roll:

Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Wow, that's truly a thing of great beauty!!! 8)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Mmmm, very, very nice :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

OMG :shock: I WANT IT!!!! 8)
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Good work! That takes a lot of balls.

Sorry. :roll:
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Darkbee wrote:
Good work! That takes a lot of balls.

Sorry. :roll:
The picture made me think of Dave "Cinzano Bianco" Lister playing pool with planets. Glad my mind is not the only one that takes strange twists&turns.

On a more serious note: Stunning work!
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Dave McRoss
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dave McRoss »

The beauty of the Ooliverse discloses in front of my eyes...beautiful planets
My ship list:

Cobra MK 3 - Lepka
Dragon M - Smaug
Python - Boa Pitonato
Cobra MK 3 - Lepka II
Now in a Python ET Special - Shark Panzer

[G5] -= Deadly =- (3720 Kills)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

OK guys, comments wanted.
Following the release of the Size Chart, a few comments were made regarding the cockpit windows I'd used - both regarding their size and also whether the blue area on the front of the original textures is meant to represent a cockpit at all.
Having thought about this a bit, all those who said the cockpit windows I'd given the ships are too big are right - some are preposterously large! :shock:
Also, there is a good case that says these blue areas are not cockpits at all. So what are they? I'm thinking they must be sensor/deflector arrays (Ooo, very Star Trek), so yet again I find I've gone back to the Shipset with the idea of re-doing it. (Never happy, me :roll: ).
Below is an Adder with a 'sensor/deflector array' (plus new glowing heat exchangers). What do you think? Is this a better way to go than cockpit windows? Opinions gratefully received.

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Smivs wrote:
OK guys, comments wanted.
Following the release of the Size Chart, a few comments were made regarding the cockpit windows I'd used - both regarding their size and also whether the blue area on the front of the original textures is meant to represent a cockpit at all.
Having thought about this a bit, all those who said the cockpit windows I'd given the ships are too big are right - some are preposterously large! :shock:
Also, there is a good case that says these blue areas are not cockpits at all. So what are they? I'm thinking they must be sensor/deflector arrays (Ooo, very Star Trek), so yet again I find I've gone back to the Shipset with the idea of re-doing it. (Never happy, me :roll: ).
Below is an Adder with a 'sensor/deflector array' (plus new glowing heat exchangers). What do you think? Is this a better way to go than cockpit windows? Opinions gratefully received.
I like the idea of the blue thing being a window. No window but only cameras + screens would give quite a claustrophobic feeling. Size-wise it looks good though and I also like the heat exchangers!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

maik wrote:
I like the idea of the blue thing being a window. No window but only cameras + screens would give quite a claustrophobic feeling. Size-wise it looks good though and I also like the heat exchangers!
I was thinking of adding one or two (sensibly sized) portholes for the crew...like you I don't like the idea of not being able to see out. :D
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

@CaptKev: Those look like a set of very pretty marbles :).
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

@ Smivs.
I kinda BS'd my way around that look on my original Vampires, saying (in my own mind) that firstly it was an aesthetic look to conjure up the look of the fighter aircraft they (kinda!!) resembled, and secondly that it's not really a windscreen, but is the ejection point for the escape capsule, or heavier armour to protect the cockpit area. Frankly, it's whatever you want it to be, and people should only complain about windows/windscreens if you've painted them up to look like that : something i didn't do w/ the black look of my Vampire bit. Since then, i've refined my skinning and (w/ help from Griff's shaders that make the windows glow i'ev actually got proper-sized windows.
short answer is, if you like it then just shrug over the criticism. if it bothers you, redesign your next ship, or just a "Mk II" skin.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

@ CaptKev
Those are beautiful, but how about also doing some that don't have bright colours, and are purely greys/browns/blacks etc? also, if they're gonna be another megasized download, can you consider doing them as galaxy specific add-on packs to help out those of us w/ cack download speeds?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Killer Wolf wrote:
@ CaptKev
Those are beautiful, but how about also doing some that don't have bright colours, and are purely greys/browns/blacks etc? also, if they're gonna be another megasized download, can you consider doing them as galaxy specific add-on packs to help out those of us w/ cack download speeds?
I like the approach a lot, but a majority uses hues of pink quite prominently and that doesn't jibe with my idea of the universe. So +1 to what Killer Wolf is saying about colours.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

This is one of wallpapers at work, one of my new Reduxed Vampire MKIs :