Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Shaders’ Outpost

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Right, that's enough of that wavy flag nonsense, time for some serious OXPing

The old Asteroid/Pumpkin switcheroo
http://www.box.net/shared/hnlrc1cj9o

Edit: Oo, i think there's a bug in the oxp. Scaling the pumpkins in the vertex shader is confusing oolites collision detection, it's not drawing a new collision box for the re-scaled model
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Irrespective of the collision box issue - it looks fab!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Griff wrote:
Edit: Oo, i think there's a bug in the oxp. Scaling the pumpkins in the vertex shader is confusing oolites collision detection, it's not drawing a new collision box for the re-scaled model
I don’t think it’s actually possible for Oolite to do that. If it is, it would be immensely slow.
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Irrespective of the collision box issue - it looks fab!
Griff (and others?) could make an EasterEgg OXP, that transforms certain feature of the OOniverse on certain days.

* Pumpkins for asteroids on Halloween
* Decorated eggs for asteroids on Halloween
* An Xmas tree instead of a buoy on Xmas
* Stations and/or Vipers decorated with Xmas lighting
* On Newyear's Eve, all missiles explode into sparkles but do no damage
* sracbmle all msesgaes on Pentecost.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

He's already done Santa with his sledge and reindeer.

I love the idea of a missile exploding into sparkles, no doubt supplied by The Joker!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

ovvldc wrote:
I do seem to recall that decorated eggs used to be associated with another holiday during my childhood. But of course, you never know these days... 8)
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Commander McLane wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
I do seem to recall that decorated eggs used to be associated with another holiday during my childhood. But of course, you never know these days... 8)
Easter. Never mind... I was in a hurry.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Ha, love the ideas for the eastereggs oxp!

I posted a long rambling message in Simon B's "Development: Arachnid SB" thread https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=5179 about how i go about painting out effects maps without having to use the 'color channel' options in photoshop,
I'll repeat the post here and include the screenshot i mentioned that hopefully makes it clearer just what on earth i am on about :wink:

-------
Painting your own effects map can be a bit confusing especially if you try and split an image into seperate colour channels, you just end up with a series of greyscale images, it always gives me headaches, but there is a much simpler way of working, just create seperate layers for each colour 'channel' stack them above your usual texture map (diffuse map) and work by paining only red in teh red layer, blue in the blue layer and green in the green layer. When it comes time to save out your final effects map, just switch off the visibility of the diffuse map and a "save as.." so you can save out a copy of your effects map .png

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Had another go at the wavy flag shader, attached it to a ship this time, couldn't get it to pose nicely in Oolite so i took a screengrab from rendermonkey

also used the 'environment map' shader from a few pages back to fake a reflective look on the more shiny metal surfaces, this might look good on an icy asteroid or something

download the bugbot test oxp here (works best with shaders)
http://www.box.net/shared/ospuz7du8x#griff_bugbot
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

@Griff: You are the greatest - Rock'n'Roll!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Griff you really have to gather these together for an OXP on the Wikki page, there just too good not to! Now that turrets work for players on 1.72 I want a player version of the Griff Boa! Can't find the link for that one, must have dropped off the forum. If you could post one I'll hack a player version and add a Wikki page. 8) 8)

EDIT: found it here! :D

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... &start=135

Is that the final version?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

thanks guys!
very kind offer there LB, i've never made a player ship before, so it'd would be really cool to see how it's done!
i've had a quick look at the boa oxp and it looks a bit out of date now, the shaders are missing the uniform bindings possible in the new 1.7x versions of oolite and there are a whole load of texture maps being used that i could probably thin down a bit now, i'll have a go at it this weekend!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In order to further motivate me to implement support for normal mapping, I’ve put together an OXP which… uses normal mapping. Here it is.

Obviously it can’t be that simple, and in fact it isn’t. The fatal flaw is that it hard-codes an assumption about the orientation of the surface, or more precisely its tangent, which would have to be provided by Oolite for this to be generally useful. (Not only that, but the assumption made appears to be wrong. I wasn’t paying much attention to that aspect.)

(Click for bigger picture)
The board on the left uses “basic” normal mapping. The one on the right also uses parallax mapping, which provides a sort of per-pixel perspective effect; the sides of the rocks facing the camera are stretched and the ones facing away are foreshortened. This effect is really too subtle to be of much use on spaceships – it’s mostly useful for floors and walls seen at shallow angles – but if you have a spare effect channel lying around it’s three extra lines of code.

Credit: the texture is an example from the OGRE 3D engine. I found the matching normal and parallax maps somewhere on the tubes.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

that looks great. I think it'll be really effective on space stations when you get in close.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Masonry space stations? Maybe something for low-tech systems. :-)