Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Replacement of the basic ship set - building a dream team.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
that would make it about 9.6metres long (wide)
and about 6metres wide max.
Could you explain that to me, in words I can understand. I know it'll be difficult, but try.

Captain Hesperus
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

6m X 6m X 9.6m . . . I think . . . :?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Could you explain that to me, in words I can understand. I know it'll be difficult, but try.
He’s just an ickle kitten.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

VERTEX
4.80024, 3.20016, 0

-4.80024, 3.20016, 0

It's these two lines to look at. 4.8 is the front and -4.8 is the back so if 0 is the middle then add those two numbers together and you get the length.

Same goes for the other lines to work out the rest.
Cheers Arexack_Heretic, I don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first place, nice one.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

Oooooooookay then. Not going to fit 100 tons in this Anaconda.
2 options here then, 1. make the Anaconda bigger (which'll probably mean making the stations bigger) or 2. Make the cargo smaller (which is bad because it'll make them incredibly hard to spot when scooping) or the third option (or er my 2) Is to keep things the same but just have the cargo pod sub-entities a lot smaller in the cargo hold (they are only there for asthetics after all)

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I vote for increasing the ship size, but I guess you knew that already... :?

The Anaconda has always been too small for its cargo size - mainly, I think, because it needed to fit into the docking slit.

If there was a way for these bigger ships to just park outside the station and handle their cargo with smaller craft, this problem would be blown away.

But, as it stands, we'd need to make the stations bigger. Then they would be too big for the planets and we'd need to increase the planet size as well. Which would mean making them stand a bit further away from the witchpoint and the star (this last part not completely necessary, but would make it more balanced).
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Captain Hesperus

Wolfwood wrote:
I vote for increasing the ship size, but I guess you knew that already... :?
Total agreement. I've always seen the Annie as a true Titan of the starlanes, and was always disappointed when I cruised past one and it seemed little longer than my Potbelly. :sigh:

Captain Hesperus
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
that would make it about 9.6metres long (wide)
and about 6metres wide max.

Knowing these pods carry one tone, they're in fact waay too big.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, we all know it's not a tonne, but a tun. And nobody knows the size of that...
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

If there was a way for these bigger ships to just park outside the station and handle their cargo with smaller craft, this problem would be blown away.
i've got a big station built, just in the midst of texturing it (amongst other projects). its underside has four docking points on limbs, the idea being that megahuge ships would moor up at one and trade w/ the station, which is in hi-tech systems and near the normal station. as it stands so far, it's kinda eye-candy : i'd need someone to rejig the general AIs so that big ships would come and park at specific positions, but that would look fairly cool if it could be implemented. i'd imagine my station would be working in tandem w/ the Coriolis, in that there'd be steady traffic of loader craft ferrying offloaded cargo to the Cori and new loads for the biggies from the Cori (which would be another ship/oxp build in the future.

would anyone be interested in this as a partnership project, or are the specifics a non-starter?

big as the station is, we still come to the scale probs compared to planets etc etc, but until we do rescale everything to real-world levels it's just one of th aspects i overlook in favour of gameplay.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

its underside has four docking points on limbs
nice- my pirate/belter bases always have those external 'porches' as well. in theory, because I never get around to finishing any of them. :sigh:
I expect you mean by 'underside' the rear? (being the farthest away from the docking-slit front)

As a visual reference, you might want to look at pictures of Zeppelin docking gantries of the inter-WorldWar period. :D
Riding the Rocket!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

No, i mean underside as in underneath. there's a structure on the top that hold the normal player's docking slit, under that is the main structure which has a vertical strut w/ the four docking points coming off horizontally. i could get a screen grab tonight if you're at all interested.

ah, airships - i love them. so graceful. parently they're making a comeback for cargo haulage - cheap and more economical that jets, and for big heavy items like power transformers for power stations it's the easiest way to transport them, cos they can cruise in and hover in position for placement as opposed to jetting in to an aipport, transforring to lorry, hauling it in, getting a crane, etc etc etc

i always fancied doing an airship aerobatic display team. bit slower than the Red Arrows tho :-D
Captain Hesperus

Killer Wolf wrote:
i always fancied doing an airship aerobatic display team. bit slower than the Red Arrows tho :-D
God help the guy whose turn it is to 'Loop-the-loop'.

Announcer: Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to draw your attention to the far end of the airfield where Don 'I have full Life Insurance' Smith is preparing for his death-defying loop the loop attempt. This has been attempted before with catastrophic results, but Don thinks he can pull it off. And yes, I can see him receiving Last Rites from the Chaplain.......

Captain Hesperus
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Interested in pictures? always! :lol:

(draw in rotation, dockingslit, lights, turrets etc when you're at it.)

I'm a bit confused about the layout of YourMegaStation...the slit is facing at a 90degree angle away from planet?

There was this other custom station.oxp that had a rotating section, possibly can be used to counter-rotate your docking-gantry. If YMS is rotating that is.
Riding the Rocket!
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

The Anaconda in the background is the ArcElite version. This is probably a better size for it isn't it?