Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Split: Re-scaling experiment

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Split: Re-scaling experiment

Post by Zireael »

what? where? how do I test?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Dizzy, thanks for the report and trunk updates.

Re torus drive:
Change the *2 to *4 for torus decelleration, that should do it.

Re nav beacon:
Thought about making it smaller (v. easy to do) and then I saw another adder next to it... it looked like a fly on a beach ball :-)

Re docking:
The adder shot was just outside the station, the angle may have been misleading. Sorry about that.

Zireael,
Not had a chance to tackle github yet (and not likely for next few days either), so the only way at present is to install from source, edit the code and then "make -f makefile" as signposted earlier in this thread. Then install the oxp.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Zireael wrote:
what? where? how do I test?
You need to obtain the Oolite v1.81 source code from Github ('Master' branch), edit 10 or so files in it as detailed here, then compile the code, install the OXP mentioned here, and then run the new executable..
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Re docking....

I think it's possible to set the docking bay (by which I mean the detection area, not the model itself) slightly further back in the shipdata.plist.
Need to be careful here though as the likes of the Anaconda are still full size...
Last edited by Redspear on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
Re torus drive:
Change the *2 to *4 for torus decelleration, that should do it.
Thanks.. will give that a shot.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I have uploaded a (totally unofficial) 64-bit build of Redspear's work for anyone who want to test but can't / don't feel like compiling source. Get it here. You will still need to download and install the OXP part and have the latest trunk installed so you can copy the exe over to its oolite.app folder..

Hopefully I've managed to follow all instructions correctly.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

A few lines below that is a decelleration factor that's applied only when mass-locked (*3 I think, in any case, the two are cumulative), so you could adjust that instead (if you like your asteroid fields to be hazardous ;) )

a_c, thanks so much :-D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
Hopefully I've managed to follow all instructions correctly.
If you have MIN_HYPERSPEED_FACTOR and HYPERSPEED_FACTOR set to 256, you've probably gotten it all correct.. :)
Redspear wrote:
A few lines below that is a decelleration factor that's applied only when mass-locked (*3 I think, in any case, the two are cumulative), so you could adjust that instead (if you like your asteroid fields to be hazardous ;) )
Ok.. I'll try that, cranked up to 4, first.. :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
Re nav beacon:
Thought about making it smaller (v. easy to do) and then I saw another adder next to it... it looked like a fly on a beach ball :-)
That's actually why I thought of reducing the size.. my ballpark guesstimate of an appropriate size for a nav beacon would be about 1/2 the size of a Cobby3..
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

For the first time, the Anaconda feels truly massive. Bring on the 750 tonnes!
(and ignore the scanner lollipops being off - I forgot to change the scale when I got the shot, but it's OK in the unofficial build).

@Dizzy: Looks we're good, I used 256 for the two factors.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Dizzy: ok, I can halve the beacon size and update the oxp (probably tomorrow).

a_c, did you use the torus decelleration that I originally posted or the one above?
If it was the former (my mistake, I forgot to re-make the source after my last tweaks and so it didn't show in last test), then take care flying out there folks :)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Redspear wrote:
a_c, did you use the torus decelleration that I originally posted or the one above?
If it was the former (my mistake, I forgot to re-make the source after my last tweaks and so it didn't show in last test), then take care flying out there folks :)
I'm afraid I used the *2 deceleration, not the *4 one. Oh well, I'll try to upload another exe sometime later today or tomorrow then.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
Aye.. whilst spectacularly entertaining for the locals (at least, for the ones who don't live too close to the action), punching a hole in a planet at 70 km/s is not good for one's long-term career prospects.. :lol:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Ah, hang on... the x2 is cumulative :|

So that means x2 for each part = x8 for testing the whole thing.

Dizzy, if you typed in * 2 to the code then you'll likely need * 8.
That would certainly explain your 'landing' :mrgreen:

If it still didn't work then try a total of x16.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well.. by following your suggestion, and leaving line 2670 of PlayerEntity.m at:

Code: Select all

float deceleration = (speed_delta * delta_t * HYPERSPEED_FACTOR * 2); // original has no * 2
and changing line 2676 to:

Code: Select all

deceleration *= 4; // original value 3
which would be a cumulative total of *8, I came to a (relative) halt at 0.1 planetary radius above the surface.. still rather scary, but safely above the danger point of 0.04-0.02.. sunskimming seems a little improved, too.. as in, I slowed down to normal speed shortly before the scoops activated.. as opposed to shortly after the tanks were full.. :lol:

I also stopped considerably quicker when mass-locked by ships.. no longer flying right by them before slowing down. Which is some pretty damn brutal deceleration, when you think about it.. :twisted:

If that holds true for subsequent tests, I'll be happy with that setting. Some folks might like a bit bigger margin, of course.

A couple of other observations..

Is it just my imagination, or is the Station Aegis smaller than normal? It seems like I get closer than before, before reaching the Aegis.

After running from a pack of pirates, I noticed I had to get them considerably beyond my scanner range before my alert condition changed from red to green again.. are NPCs able to maintain a lock beyond scanner range, or is their scanner range still the same size as before? IIRC, condition red is actually triggered by a NPC getting a missile lock, and I seem to recall you saying that missiles now have a range substantially larger than the scanner range.. related?