Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Post by Shipbuilder »

@ Paradox - I like the Wraith very much and hope you get it released at some stage.

Regarding the Heavy Metal Freight Liner it is a little too much like a truck in space for my taste however having said that I think you have done a great job with the texturing and think that you certainly have a talent for producing ship OXPs.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I don't think it's even your 'style'.. it's just that the ships you've presented to date have, for the most part, been re-creations of ships from other sci-fi 'worlds', which is always something that will have less appeal to those who like their Ooniverse to conform to the Elite look and feel. (which does not necessarily always have to mean triangles, either.. :wink:)
Well, I knew from the start that my stuff wasn't going to be liked by the "purists", that's the story of my life, but like I said, I just wanted feedback, wasn't expecting anyone to give up their own ships permanently. };]
Diziet Sma wrote:
Ooh.. I like the look of that! 8) Do the cabin windows change colour according to alert level, as many of Griff's ships do? So far as the rant goes, no problem.. everyone has to rant a little now and then, and yours was pretty mild, as such things go.. :)
It is an evil looking ship, and current stats probably set it as a bit "uber", but it is meant to be a hunter/bounty/pirate and built to be a nasty killer. As for color changing... no. I have to restart Oolite 2-3 times, just to get to the point I can see the emission maps working, then turn on reduced detail and play around again in order to get back in to actually play. My o.b video card just won't handle the fancy stuff for me to test them... Really wish I could do normal mapping etc, but just not gonna happen.}:[

Diziet Sma wrote:
Ok.. now to the preliminary report on "Heavy Metal"..

Overall, I like it a lot. The roll rate seems about right, but perhaps the pitch could be dropped a little.. maybe down to 0.3. It just kinda feels a little too responsive, compared to the roll rate. The external views are well placed, particularly for showing off the ship, but some of them might benefit from being set a little further away, so as to be able to see what is going on in the vicinity. At the moment the ship itself more or less totally fills the view.
LOL, I copied the views from the Anaconda (since HM is just a bit longer) and then still pulled the cameras back further. But you are right, I was focusing on looking at the ship itself rather than it's enviornment... Also, pitch down, got it!
Diziet Sma wrote:
I don't know if it could be done via scripting, so as to limit the effect to just the one ship, but if it was possible, I'd love it if this ship came with its own set of engine sounds.. something deep and rumbling, like a proper semi.. 8)
YES! I agree! We need that ability, a

sound_engine_start = "";
sound_engine_run = "";
sound_engine_stop = "";

And maybe custom laser hit and miss sounds too!
Diziet Sma wrote:
Price-wise, I suspect some here might say it's under-priced, but I like it.. it makes for a nice inexpensive entry-level freighter, which is something the Ooniverse lacks. In a lot of ways, it's roughly comparable to a Python, but considering the price, performance and other specs in comparison, I feel the cargo capacity might be rounded down some, to say 80TC, perhaps.. alternatively, maybe up the price to somewhere in the 200,000 - 300,000 range. At the moment, it's a lot of ship for not much money.

All of which is entirely up to you, of course.. she's your ship, and you should feel free to spec her however you like.. I'm merely speaking in terms of the ship-balancing that most ship designers try to work by. However, there are plenty of other ships which don't adhere to "standard" balancing guidelines, so if you keep it as-is, you're in good company.. :wink:
I set the price low so that "test pilots" could, well.. test it, without having a hassle. };] I do want it to be in the running as a possible early upgrade ship though. After all, it is just an old freight hauler, probably built from scavenged junkyard parts (that's what the texture looks like anyways. };])... Perhaps in the 150000-200000 range...
Diziet Sma wrote:
I must admit that not having to bother matching rotation while docking was a sensation that felt a little weird at first, but at the same time, is kinda fun! Now all it needs is a nice loud set of air-horns! :twisted:
LOL! Isn't that a strange feeling!? Your fingers just itch to hit the roll button, and just when your about to panic and roll, swoop! Your docked! };] Unless of course, you do like I did (more than once...), approach the station at full throttle, brake at the last instant and dock... Except H.M. takes just as long to slow down as it does to get moving, and I put more than one hole clear through the docking stations! And yes, I too thought of air horns! I really like flying it, although scooping is a both a pain and a joy. Since the scoop is right under the view point, it's easy to hit the cargo containers at full speed. But then you literally have to come to a long slow stop, re-orient yourself towards the next container, and start up again. If you don't stop first, and the container is too close to you, you literally just fly circles around it!
Anyways, thank you, thank you, for taking the time to try her out. I will make some adjustments, and get her ready to release later today. I will also try to put up a test version of the Paradox Wraith. };]
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Thermonuklear wrote:
I'll give the space truck a try once I get home from Ēostre festivities... Reminds me of an old ZX Spectrum game, actually.
Thank you, I would really appreciat it! };]
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Shipbuilder wrote:
@ Paradox - I like the Wraith very much and hope you get it released at some stage.
I will have a test release put up today in this thread. };]
Shipbuilder wrote:
Regarding the Heavy Metal Freight Liner it is a little too much like a truck in space for my taste however having said that I think you have done a great job with the texturing and think that you certainly have a talent for producing ship OXPs.
It was meant to be a "not so serious" ship entry. When I first started playing a month or so ago, I was a bit put off by all the "triangles". the first oxp I installed was Griffs shipset replacement! A BIG improvement! However, since he was also trying to remain faithful to the overall Elite feel, the effect was still "triangly".};] If people can put giant pizzas and intergalactic jellyfish in space, then why not haul freight with a real freight hauler!? }:] It is my current ship of choice to fly, and is actually quite fun because it does indeed handle like a big a$$ truck! };]

Thanks for the input and the compliment however! As you (and I do mean you Shipbuilder! };])know, that's why we spend those many hours doing this! }:]
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

You're absolutely right Paradox.

Many, many hours go in to the production of a ship OXP like the ones you have posted. Having said that it's what we enjoy. :wink:

I look forward to the release of your Wraith.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

"The D.T.T (Death To Triangles) Design Firm, in partnership with Paradox Ship Builders Inc., is proud to present it's newest concept spacecraft: The D.T.T Wraith! This ship is the cutting edge in military/special forces technology, it will also be aimed at the law enforcement/bounty-hunter market..."

After doing a forum search, and seeing that others have stated they were working on a "wraith" (although I couldn't find any released in the oxp list...) I renamed mine so there would be no confusion. Though the hull is smaller than the Cobra 3, All engine/weapons have been externalized, allowing for comparable room inside, however, no cargo upgrade, no passenger berths... Here is a size comparison with a core cobra 3 model:

And an in-game image if you missed it in a previous post...

Priced at 100000 for testing only, final will probably be in the 300,000 range(?). Current pertinent specs are as follows:
energy_recharge_rate = 4.5;
max_cargo = 20;
max_energy = 260;
max_flight_pitch = 1.5;
max_flight_roll = 2.5;
max_flight_speed = 380;
max_missiles = 6;
thrust = 40;
Pirate version has full shield upgrades, and thinking I should give it full military lasers? She's sort of a cross between a cobra and a fer-de-lance. This is a killing machine.

"Okay folks, this concludes our presenta... yes Smithers! What is it? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE PLANS HAVE BEEN STOLEN?!?! Why... why... if those plans were to fall into the hands of pirates... oh dear... oh dear me!

Get it here:http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?291reycev575km3

P.S for those testing the wraith, if you are running the debug version of Oolite, you can "spawn wraith" to pop one up. };] Thanks to Shipbuilder for reminding me!
Last edited by Paradox on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Is there a shortage of test pilots lately?

Remember, commanders...

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Shipbuilder wrote:
You're absolutely right Paradox.

Many, many hours go in to the production of a ship OXP like the ones you have posted. Having said that it's what we enjoy. :wink:

I look forward to the release of your Wraith.
LOL! You posted as I was writing it up! Please let me know your thoughts and input on it!
Cody wrote:
Is there a shortage of test pilots lately?

Remember, commanders...
Thanks Cody. My rant too, seems to have awakened a couple them. }:] It wouldn't have been so bad, but as it was my very first oxp to be shared, it was very disappointing that no one seemed interested in at least looking through the code to make sure I was doing things correctly...
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Paradox wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
I don't know if it could be done via scripting, so as to limit the effect to just the one ship, but if it was possible, I'd love it if this ship came with its own set of engine sounds.. something deep and rumbling, like a proper semi.. 8)

sound_engine_start = "";
sound_engine_run = "";
sound_engine_stop = "";
See https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13913
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Svengali wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:

sound_engine_start = "";
sound_engine_run = "";
sound_engine_stop = "";
See https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13913
EXCELLENT!!!! That is too cool! Thank you Svengali! I am off to search for sounds now! }:]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
I set the price low so that "test pilots" could, well.. test it, without having a hassle. };] I do want it to be in the running as a possible early upgrade ship though. After all, it is just an old freight hauler, probably built from scavenged junkyard parts (that's what the texture looks like anyways. };])... Perhaps in the 150000-200000 range...
Heh.. I keep several test-pilot saves around.. one has around 10 million credits banked for situations where it's nice to have some cash handy... (isn't the ability to edit game-saves just wonderful? :lol: )

I'd suggest going with the 200,000 - 250,000 range.. as even a bog-standard Cobby3 goes for 150,000.
Paradox wrote:
scooping is a both a pain and a joy. Since the scoop is right under the view point, it's easy to hit the cargo containers at full speed. But then you literally have to come to a long slow stop, re-orient yourself towards the next container, and start up again. If you don't stop first, and the container is too close to you, you literally just fly circles around it!
Hmm.. scooping was something I forgot to try.. will have to check it out.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Heh.. I keep several test-pilot saves around.. one has around 10 million credits banked for situations where it's nice to have some cash handy... (isn't the ability to edit game-saves just wonderful? :lol: )
:lol: It does come in handy! I was just making sure that anyone who was willing would be able to test it.
Diziet Sma wrote:
I'd suggest going with the 200,000 - 250,000 range.. as even a bog-standard Cobby3 goes for 150,000.
See this post. If I am able to separate them, the I want to start a single trailer HM comparable to the base coby. Then they can buy the upgrades. If I can't separate them, then I may split the meshes and just have 3 different HMs for sale, a single, double, and maybe triple. Then the prices will go up! };]
Diziet Sma wrote:

Humph... the quality of test pilots these days... Look at 'em, lined up around the corner, waiting to try my ships, and I get stuck with you! };] BTW, I did set the Pitch to .3 and also lowered the thrust to 7, and set the cargo to 100 since this test rig is a double... but removed the option for the big cargo. Now waiting for answers to that other post before I upload a new version. So go play with the D.T.T. Wraith now. };]

P.S. Damn it, another thought... Can we specify a custom escape pod? Like maybe an old, beat up, 55 gallon drum with lifepod spray painted on the outside? }:]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
See this post. If I am able to separate them, the I want to start a single trailer HM comparable to the base coby. Then they can buy the upgrades. If I can't separate them, then I may split the meshes and just have 3 different HMs for sale, a single, double, and maybe triple. Then the prices will go up! };]
Yah, I noticed that.. hope it can be done. 8)
Paradox wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:

Humph... the quality of test pilots these days... Look at 'em, lined up around the corner, waiting to try my ships, and I get stuck with you! };] BTW, I did set the Pitch to .3 and also lowered the thrust to 7, and set the cargo to 100 since this test rig is a double... but removed the option for the big cargo. Now waiting for answers to that other post before I upload a new version. So go play with the D.T.T. Wraith now. };]
Heheheh.. I have to plead distraction.. kept getting mysterious random freezes for 20-30 seconds at a time while playing.. think I have it sussed out now.. - no, it wasn't your OXP.

I've altered the specs on my copy to match your updated ones.. will let you know how it goes.
Paradox wrote:
P.S. Damn it, another thought... Can we specify a custom escape pod? Like maybe an old, beat up, 55 gallon drum with lifepod spray painted on the outside? }:]
Yes, easily done.. Shipbuilder has created a couple of custom pods.. one is exclusive to his Fireball XL5. The King Cobra also has a custom escape pod.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Yah, I noticed that.. hope it can be done.
I have a funny feeling the scripting aspect is gonna make me go with the second option and just have three separate version of the truck. No biggie since the trailers are sub-entities, but would have been nice to be able to pick them off one at a time. Besides, with three separate models, then I can set the thrust lower as they get longer. The more they haul, the longer it takes to get them up to speed... and stop them. };]
Diziet Sma wrote:
Heheheh.. I have to plead distraction.. kept getting mysterious random freezes for 20-30 seconds at a time while playing.. think I have it sussed out now.. - no, it wasn't your OXP.
Something running in the background? Glad HM wasn't the culprit! };]
Diziet Sma wrote:
Yes, easily done.. Shipbuilder has created a couple of custom pods.. one is exclusive to his Fireball XL5. The King Cobra also has a custom escape pod.
I have the King Cobra, will have to dig into the oxp to see how it's done.. Probably that nasty scripting/coding stuff again... ugh!
Still looking for some cool engine sounds!};]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Something running in the background?
No.. I think it was the Freighttrain OXP.. bit too computationally heavy for my computer. Will know for sure on the next run.
Paradox wrote:
Still looking for some cool engine sounds!};]
Be careful of licensing terms.. :wink:

I found the siren for my Q-Bomb Detector at http://soundbible.com/ It may be worth seeing what you can find there..