Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Reporting spam

Post by CheeseRedux »

Fatleaf wrote:
Would this profile be regarded as spam? walmartjobs]. His Name and website are all commercial. My apologies if I am a bit over zealous.
I'd say that's the very definition of an obvious spam account.

***** Deleted - spambot central IP Addresses *****

While we're on the subject, I somehow doubt that Illisteerussy and HomyByclorm will grace the member pages with their presence for very long. (For no better reason than that the two of them spent a combined total of 4 minutes on the board after registering.)
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CheeseRedux wrote:
While we're on the subject, I somehow doubt that Illisteerussy and HomyByclorm will grace the member pages with their presence for very long. (For no better reason than that the two of them spent a combined total of 4 minutes on the board after registering.)
Agreed: the total absence of their profile names from a google search, combined with their incredibly short forum perusals after joining, is almost as suspicious as if they had hundreds of different forum memberships all over the place. No solid evidence but I'd say at least a 90% probability that they're spambots.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

** Spam sliced and diced **

As an update to HomyByclorm: there's a few "Byclorm" forum memberships out there on teh interwebz, including this definite spambot (apart from the dodgy profile, the email address pulls up several hits on SFS). I don't know if this level of family similarity is enough to warrant a pre-emptive strike, though ... personally I'd say "yes" but then I've only had one cup of coffee so far today.
Cmdr_Overscore
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Cmdr_Overscore »

Disembodied wrote:
...is enough to warrant a pre-emptive strike, though ... personally I'd say "yes" but then I've only had one cup of coffee so far today.
Hey Disembodied! (:|) |-<
Does this, my first post keep me off the spam random hit-list? I realise that I probably won't post often, reason being I feel too inadequate. BTW I don't drink coffee - it's too dangerous...
[ FAMOUS LAST WORDS ] "Asteroid? What Asteroid?"

Press Space, Commander
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cmdr_Overscore wrote:
Does this, my first post keep me off the spam random hit-list? I realise that I probably won't post often, reason being I feel too inadequate.
Hi Cmdr_Overscore and welcome to the ‘friendliest forum this side of Riedquat’™

Be assured, there is nothing ‘random’ in this department… and there are very few ‘delusions of adequacy’ here on the forum, either… so join in and feel right at home.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Seconded. No one is over-adequate or under-adequate here. Feel free to join in and rest assured even the silliest questions will be answered (politely)...I should know, as I ask most of them :?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
Seconded. No one is over-adequate or under-adequate here. Feel free to join in and rest assured even the silliest questions will be answered (politely)...I should know, as I ask most of them :?
No you don't, that is the source of my Infamy. :evil:
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Seconded. No one is over-adequate or under-adequate here. Feel free to join in and rest assured even the silliest questions will be answered (politely)...I should know, as I ask most of them
No you don't, that is the source of my Infamy.
Now just a goddamn, cotton-pickin’ minute here… when it comes to asking dumb questions, I’m right up there with the best of 'em!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Seconded. No one is over-adequate or under-adequate here. Feel free to join in and rest assured even the silliest questions will be answered (politely)...I should know, as I ask most of them
No you don't, that is the source of my Infamy.
Now just a goddamn, cotton-pickin’ minute here… when it comes to asking dumb questions, I’m right up there with the best of 'em!
Maybe, but the top spot is not within your reach.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

<bows head in acknowledgement of a master>
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Smivs wrote:
You forgot to mention that the polite questions will be answered sillily... :P
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Excuse me gents, you seem to be spamming the Reporting Spam thread ;-)
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

another_commander wrote:
Excuse me gents, you seem to be spamming the Reporting Spam thread ;-)
Yes, it's the new thing: Self-reporting spam. Streamlines the deletion process, it does. :roll:
--Dean C Engelhardt
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr_Overscore wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
...is enough to warrant a pre-emptive strike, though ... personally I'd say "yes" but then I've only had one cup of coffee so far today.
Does this, my first post keep me off the spam random hit-list? I realise that I probably won't post often, reason being I feel too inadequate. BTW I don't drink coffee - it's too dangerous...
Hi Cmdr Overscore - you're clearly not spam - so you'll live....

Spam Assassins come in two flavours - those with a keen eye for detail, a nose for pork based products and a willingness to spend some of their time in the Clock Tower tagging these festering miscreants with a special dye from their specially adapted sniper rifles.

Two of us were elevated from this position to wield the power to nuke from orbit (the only way to be sure) or (when we're in a "white's of their eyes" kind of mood) move in close and slice them up neat and proper with our katanas...

We're a cracking team and we're about as spambot free as any board I've ever come across on the 'net. So enjoy you're time on the Forums - for we are indeed, without question, the friendliest board not only this side of Riedquat, but anywhere in the Multiverse.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Cmdr_Overscore wrote:
Your profile is enough, to be honest ... heck, even your profile name is pretty obviously the creation of a person who plays Oolite. You, sir, score very low on the spamometer, even without an introductory post. We spam assassins are ruthless, but (reasonably) careful! :wink: