A Solar Systems OXP - @Frame

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Frame, just curiosity: Any particular reason you don't take screenshots by pressing * ? I hope keyboard localization is not a problem here.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

another_commander wrote:
Frame, just curiosity: Any particular reason you don't take screenshots by pressing * ? I hope keyboard localization is not a problem here.
Well no, but it does not work with the "*"
i have to use "q" to make it work, seems like any special signs and it wont work...

my * sign is used by pressing shift and then the ' key

Keyboard is Danish and looks like this

Code: Select all

½ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 + ´ backspace
tab q w e r t y u i o p å ^ enter
caps a s d f g h j k l æ ø ' enter
shi < z x c v b n m , . - shift
ctr win alt space agr win RC ctrl
where the ´ key is shared with the ` and | key
where the ^ key is shared with the ~ and ¨ key

apart from the | sign these special keys at which the sign only appears when you the next time press space.. used for letters like ö ä

Also in the stderr file i get this

2008-12-14 17:48:18.284 oolite[6124] File NSUserDefaults.m: 626. In [NSUserDefaults +standardUserDefaults] Improper installation: No language locale found
as far as I can recall I have allways had that error... not sure if that has anything to do with anything.. my bet is nay...

Thanks for the tip.. though
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

the transparent planets are generated via specific settings in the planet-info.plist file...
Do you happen to know which settings, and which oxp does that?

I mean, planets having cloaking devices, great, but my game crashed both times when the planets went all glassy.

Puzzled :?

L
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Frame »

Lestradae wrote:
the transparent planets are generated via specific settings in the planetinfo.plist file...
Do you happen to know which settings, and which oxp does that?
Puzzled :?

L
To my knowledge, I have never heard of an OXP that does that... you should note the system at where this happens, then search all the OXP for the system coordinates in the planetinfo.plist file...

Here is my settings for generating that transparent planet... I was going to keep it a secret :oops: , but I don't think I´ll ever get around to write an OXP that has anything to do with raxxala...

"transparentYellowGasGiant1" = {
		position = "abs 0 0 -150000000";
		//radius = 42000;
		//radius = 8824.021875		Xeoner Sun rad
		radius = 9924.021875;
		orientation = "0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0";
		texture = "yellowGasGiant3.png";
		seed = "1 2 3 4 5 6";
		"polar_color_factor" = 0.0;
        	"rotational_velocity" = 24.001;
        	"percent_cloud" = "100.0";
	};
Percent cloud is what does the trick... even a setting of 95 works... the extra radiuses was when I was tying to see if i could obtain an effect by putting the sun inside a transparent planet... And I could.. as the surface of the sun looks like it has a shape.. it however does get dimmed... I was hoping for, but not expecting a black hole effect :-P
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Frame,

Due to a really busy RL last AND this week I was just a few moments able to admire your new work. I like the gas giant and also the mining station.

Are these Gas Giants in HD version? like in my famous planets?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

another_commander wrote:
Forgot, I still need to open them in an editor anyway... since I have to convert from jpg from bmp. however nice that I now take multiple shots at once.... and btw why on earth not save in PNG :-)

ahmm I'm in need of a good image viewer as the one I have don't work properly under Vista
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

pagroove wrote:
Hi Frame,

Due to a really busy RL last AND this week I was just a few moments able to admire your new work. I like the gas giant and also the mining station.

Are these Gas Giants in HD version? like in my famous planets?
its 1024 by 512 at the moment...

i can go higher... but I´ll keep a lid on the memory usage until I have a complete OXP from which I can tell memory usage
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I'm happy to announce that I got fully working concept OXP working..

it currently only adds one planet but is written so that everything is automatic taken care of.

I could add any number of planets, as the jump gate is setup so that it targets the next planet, by simply traversing the number of globes in the system that is not moons...

since it is only moving about the two systems which the player jumps beetween i can pretty confidently write that it is fast...

only remaining thing is to make the jumpgate automatic send you off to the next system.. as I currently have to press f1 after "docking" with a jumpgate...

right now im just to tired, since I made an all nighter, to upload anything...

so off to bed
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Can you confirm (either here or via PM) how you're identifying planets as gas giants? Then I'll include that into the version of Planetfall I'm going to release next week in readiness to stop landings there.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Erm, motivation support upcoming.

Go, Frame, go! :D

Do you have any idea how to custom generate different solar systems yet? Which kind of planets will there be?

Great work there, looking very much forwards to it 8)

L
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Frame »

Lestradae wrote:
Erm, motivation support upcoming.

Go, Frame, go! :D

Do you have any idea how to custom generate different solar systems yet? Which kind of planets will there be?

Great work there, looking very much forwards to it 8)

L
As this has just only achieved conceptual stage, i have not really decided on the various solar systems...

I´ll be sure to include most systems already written earlier in this thread... i´ll include some planetary set-ups of my own, one of them i particular look forward to designing is a ring system around a large gas giant.... I got a good idea about how to go about it... Most challenging will be to make the ring system visible at range... but I think I have detected an exploit that I can make use of to turn collisions off... ;-)

It just lets you jump to the next planet in the system.planets array, that actual is a planet, not a moon.. a custom planet i made... its the big yellow gas gaint you have seen...

Of course this does not yet work with famous planets and system redux planets... system redux moons will work however...

Should you try to use it with any other OXP, it will mess up the planet positions quite terrible... apart from the main planet ofcourse..

but the Jump-gate will be there...

you could always install it, try it, then uninstall it...

This is only tested with 1.72.1 I take no responsibility what so ever if you accidently save your commander....

ohh crap just discovered a numerical bug... the main planet is shifted in position when the player returns... to the main planet planetary system...

Edit oh lucky bug, or the player would have died inside the GasGiant... :oops: , fixing....

edit 2 solved
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I wonder what are peoples reaction towards that the planets
can have different government types, economy and so on.

planet 1, main planet, as usual...
planet 2, takes its government type of planet 1s, may notch down its economy
planet 3, takes its government type with a likelihood of 70% (pseudo random number), that stays the same.. of planet 1.. If it fails doing so, i swings one notch down towards the system type that is more dangerous...
and so on and on

Like the most outbound planets if they are far enough away, would very often be anarchy /feudal = most dangerous, and when so allways poor industrial/agricultural...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Nice idea! How about varying it, though, on the strength of the government of the main planet? Say, for a Corporate State main planet, there's a 90% chance that the next planet will be the same; Democracy, 80%; Confederacy, 70%; Communist, 60%, etc.?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Frame - this is the Firefly/Serenity approach - hi-tec central planets - frontier outer-worlds - it could work well!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Hmm while I endorse the chatter about could some Admin split all that firefly talk... into outworld

back on topic...

yet again, new jumpgate design...

benefits...

Extreme low probability of colliding
does not show up when far away
even the biggest ship can fit here (I hope)

You can watch here how it is rotating in Oolite...

Bounty Scanner
Number 935