Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

GRS buoyRepair.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: GRS buoyRepair.oxp

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
This probably means that the script has a stale stored reference to a ship.
Very likely in this case. It is not enough to change:

Code: Select all

this.requestTarget = function ()
{
     this.ship.target = worldScripts.buoyRepair.viperTarget;
     this.ship.reactToAIMessage("GRS_TARGET_RECEIVED");
}
into

Code: Select all

this.requestTarget = function ()
{
	if (worldScripts.buoyRepair.viperTarget && worldScripts.buoyRepair.viperTarget.isValid)
    {
        this.ship.target = worldScripts.buoyRepair.viperTarget;
        this.ship.reactToAIMessage("GRS_TARGET_RECEIVED");
    }
}
With only this change the viper will hang with a stale target, so it needs also a failure message and an AI change to react on it.

With 1.74 and earlier there were never errors in the log as far as I remember. The target became just nil. For the buoyRepair 1.3 release I added a lot of explicit checks for valid ships. Somehow this slipped through. But, besides a filled up logfile, will the player not notice anything wrong. It will be corrected in any future release.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Speaking about Vipers. The GRS station is a civil station that is supposed to not contain fighters. When it is attacked, it only send out some of its utility ships to defend the station. But, at the same time they send a distress signal to a police station on the planet surface. Police ships are spawned near the surface and start rushing upwards to the station. On arrival they receive their target to hunt down.

After finishing of the target, they go down to the planet to land in their bases. In most cases this proved to be faster than sending vipers from the main station.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Does anyone know if this OXP is working under Oolite v1.75.3?

I've been destroying normal witchspace beacons but have not yet seen any GRS ships jump in to replace the beacons. I have seen the GRS stations in some high tech systems.

I do have a couple of OXPs installed that do/may replace beacons, namely YAH and System Redux(?). Not seen any errors in my log however.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

JazHaz wrote:

I've been destroying normal witchspace beacons but have not yet seen any GRS ships jump in to replace the beacons. I have seen the GRS stations in some high tech systems.

I do have a couple of OXPs installed that do/may replace beacons, namely YAH and System Redux(?). Not seen any errors in my log however.
At least for me it is working. And buoyRepair does not replace buoys from other OXPs yet.

If you destroy a standard buoy the replacement should pop in within the next two minutes.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Svengali wrote:
JazHaz wrote:

I do have a couple of OXPs installed that do/may replace beacons, namely YAH and System Redux(?).
At least for me it is working. And buoyRepair does not replace buoys from other OXPs yet.

If you destroy a standard buoy the replacement should pop in within the next two minutes.
I tried removing YAH and can report that the OXP then worked as normal. Does YAH replace the normal buoys with its own? I know that it replaces buoys with ads, but are the non-ad buoys replacements?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
I tried removing YAH and can report that the OXP then worked as normal. Does YAH replace the normal buoys with its own? I know that it replaces buoys with ads, but are the non-ad buoys replacements?
All the replacement buoys use the same role that buoyRepair checks. So it does not matter which oxp added those buoys, if one is missing a repair ship should arrive within 2 minutes. (the oxp only checks every 2 minutes if the buoy is still in place)

Only replacing the main station buoy does no longer work in trunk. That is because the size check now correctly takes subentities in account. And the buoy itself is actually to big for a standard port. So with the next Oolite release we will update buoyRepair in a way that it still can replace the station buoy.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Will keep an eye on it and let you know if it does work.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

No, it seems it is working. I've noticed that several times the beacon towing ships jump in quite a way from the original beacon point, often a couple of scanner distances away. I've been monitoring my ASC, for the W beacon to reappear.

I thought that originally they would jump in right by the original beacon point, which led me to believe it wasn't working.

Sorry for any worry caused! :twisted:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Just a reminder for me:

Version 1.3 is not fully compatible with Oolite 1.76. Reason is that the buoy is actually slightly bigger than a standard dock and since 1.76 the size of the whole ship including subentities is taken into account when deciding if a ship fits the dock. This only effects the the ship that must launch to replace the 'N' buoy.

However, a fixed version is already prepared a few months back and will probably be released in the near future.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

How did you fix it?

Is the buoy repair ship jumping into the system now to deliver the new buoy (or launching from the GRS Station if there is one in-system), or did you work out a workaround for the port size?
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Micha wrote:
How did you fix it?

Is the buoy repair ship jumping into the system now to deliver the new buoy (or launching from the GRS Station if there is one in-system), or did you work out a workaround for the port size?
Its a dirty cheat. Instead of the ship with buoy, I now launch a ship without buoy. That ship passes the size check and on the launch handler, the launching ship is removed and replaced with one with the buoy. The player won't see any difference :wink:
When looking carefully, you see that the buoy is stil a bit to big for the port but that is after the ship already passed the checks.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

So we need an animated buoy that unfolds as its launched behind the ship?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
So we need an animated buoy that unfolds as its launched behind the ship?
That would be cool. A thought I had was simpler - perhaps making the buoys smaller, so they fit in the docking bay?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Nope, we must have the animated version! Wouldn't expect anything less from the illustrious GRS! :D

Ok, not must, but it would be nice to have! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
Nope, we must have the animated version! Wouldn't expect anything less from the illustrious GRS! :D

Ok, not must, but it would be nice to have! ;)
It was my first though of solving the problem by making an unfolding buoy. Thant I got the idea that doing it by cheating also might work. It was bouyRepair oxp that started with entity switching in the first place. so the cheat was just a continuation of existing code. I'll see if I can break up the buoy model in two pieces with wingz and make it 'unfolding' :wink: