Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Shipyard at the End of the Ooniverse. Modeller's bit.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The Shipyard at the End of the Ooniverse. Modeller's b

Post by Commander McLane »

Staer9 wrote:
Smivs wrote:
:shock:
What the hell has the other one got to make it cost 1 290 000Cr ?
I checked and it seems to have absolutly everything that a player ship can have (the ship stock costs 90,000) it has: E.C.M system, multi targeting system, large cargo bay, docking computers, escape pod, advanced space compass, energy bomb, scanner targeting enhancement, witchdrive fuel injectors, shield boosters, naval energy unit, galactic hyperdrive, military shield enhancement and three extra passenger berths. I can see why it costs 1,200,000 Cr more
It's still strange. All equipment combined doesn't even get close to 1,200,000 credits. I do remember that a naval energy unit makes a ship really expensive, especially when you are not yet allowed to buy it legally. But more than a million? Then again, it's Oolite's own price calculation routine, so it can't be an OXP error. It remains a little mysterious.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Okay, three hours later I have already lost steam with that other ship and have modeled and textured another (I apologise for the aweful texturing, I just couldn`t be bothered to spend ages making it look incredible, if anyone wants to improve it e-mail me and I will attach the model in .blend .obj and .wings format along with the texture) here is a screenshot, it shall be called the Xeikil
by the way my e-mail adress is below (you have to include the staer9 at the begining)

@ El Viejo, I like Spectre idea, I shall change it now, then someone can put it on the wiki for me as I dont have an acount.
Last edited by Staer9 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

El Viejo wrote:
A suggestion, Staer9… you’ve got one ship called the Wraith. Keep the feeling, and call it something in that vein… how about Spectre?

@ CaptSolo… there’s no real need for the Mk II bit, is there… just call it the Copperhead... it's worthy of it.
Okay. Nothing is set in stone yet - the Copperhead it is. Last night, with the help of veteran modelers and skinners, I produced a UV map of the ship. Next Steps:
Apply the paint job
Put it back on the model
Output .obj to .dat
Code it
Test it
Go back two steps for every one step forward :-)
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

well, the Xeikil is finished... but for some strange reason oolite also makes it cost an absolute fortune (I set the base price to 450,000 as it is quite a good ship) but I can`t find one for less than 1,200,000 in any shipyards, I suspect some sort of bug as most of the time the ships dont have much extra equipment
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

What does your shipyard.plist look like?
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

What McLane said. Unless my memory has gone wonky again, defining equipment as both standard and optional will rip off your customers big time.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

The shipyard.plist is exactly the same as the chopped cobra OXP (or cobra 35/3.5 on the wiki page) but with changed references to my ship and with a changed price (the standard version costs 450,000 Cr) the oxp is avaliable here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/eefFxbOn/St ... iloxp.html if anyone wants to check the plists (or change the texture)

Not sure what to do for my next ship, if anyone has any concept art it is welcome.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i liked the original version CptSolo produced, looked very in-keeping w/ the core ships.

love the new one - should be called a Lobster!

BTW, my Vampire MkV is called a Spectre. my new ship's called the Phantom.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Code: Select all

<string>EQ_ECM</string>
				<string>EQ_DOCK_COMP</string>
				<string>EQ_SCANNER_SHOW_MISSILE_TARGET</string>
				<string>EQ_MULTI_TARGET</string>
				<string>EQ_ADVANCED_COMPASS</string>
appear in both optional_equipment and extras. That is obviously wrong. It shouldn't influence the price big-time, though.

Staer9, you have to decide whether an equipment item shall be a standard fit to every ship straight from the production line, or shall be buyable and sometimes be pre-fitted as a bonus.

The previous is what the extras array is for. With the current extras array, your ship will always have ECM, docking computers, advanced target and multi target system, advanced space compass and fuel scoops. These items are part of the basic delivery. They do not show up on the shipyard screen, and they are included in the 450000 price tag. You cannot get the ship without them.

The latter is what the optional_equipment array is for. This contains all items which can be bought on top of the standard equipment. The chance key also determines that some of the items listed there may be pre-fitted sometimes. These are explicitly mentioned on the shipyard screen ("Extras:") and each one of them raises the ship price.

So if you list an item in both lists, it will be fitted at no cost on each ship, but some ships randomly get the same item a second time, this time costing the player. Obviously this makes no sense, because you only can have each of the equipments one time. It is a bug to install a second target memory on top of the standard target memory. Therefore you have to decide for each equipment on which list you want to place it. Never place any item on both lists.

First list: randomly fitted, costs extra.
Second list: always fitted, included in the basic ship price.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

@ Commander Mclane, I did not write the original plist, I borrowed it from the cobra3.5 oxp all I did was change the name and price, I do know which bits serve which purpose but I couldn`t be bothered to check it (this release is still a test as chance is set to 1 and so is tech level) feel free to improve it in any way you see fit.

@Killer wolf, I will change the Spectre to a Staer9 Spectre which should stop conflict with oxps, is your phantom released? I will check it out and with your permision maybe make a mk2.

however I know it is not a problem with the oxp, as on the ship I made this morning I fixed the repeated extras and oolite still made it cost 1,200,000 Cr more :shock:
Last edited by Staer9 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Clearly paying for the Brand, not the product... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Clearly paying for the Brand, not the product... :wink:
yep... the excuse is that it stops conflict. I want to write an entire background story for staer9 industries... probably something about coruption and leaking technology :twisted:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Staer9 wrote:
@ Commander Mclane, I did not write the original plist, I borrowed it from the cobra3.5 oxp all I did was change the name and price, I do know which bits serve which purpose but I couldn`t be bothered to check it
If you want to release it as an OXP, you should be bothered to know what you're doing. :wink:

Borrowing code is fine, but when borrowing buggy code it's always a good idea to fix the bugs, and probably even alert the original author.

On the subject of the enormous price difference, I seem to remember that many moons ago a wrote a post where I was wondering about it as well. IIRC I did in the end compare ships with different optional equipment and came up with rough estimates about what the expensive equipments add to the ship price. I seem to remember that while the cheap equipment just costs the same as if you'd buy it (Cobra III without anything: 150,000 Cr, Cobra III with Fuel Scoops: 150,525 Cr), the expensive items, like Military Shield Enhancement and Naval Energy Unit cost much, much more than if bought separately, in the region of 500,000 instead of 50,000. I don't know Oolite's formula. Perhaps it somehow factors in the TL of the equipment?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
Staer9 wrote:
@ Commander Mclane, I did not write the original plist, I borrowed it from the cobra3.5 oxp all I did was change the name and price, I do know which bits serve which purpose but I couldn`t be bothered to check it
If you want to release it as an OXP, you should be bothered to know what you're doing. :wink:

Borrowing code is fine, but when borrowing buggy code it's always a good idea to fix the bugs, and probably even alert the original author.

On the subject of the enormous price difference, I seem to remember that many moons ago a wrote a post where I was wondering about it as well. IIRC I did in the end compare ships with different optional equipment and came up with rough estimates about what the expensive equipments add to the ship price. I seem to remember that while the cheap equipment just costs the same as if you'd buy it (Cobra III without anything: 150,000 Cr, Cobra III with Fuel Scoops: 150,525 Cr), the expensive items, like Military Shield Enhancement and Naval Energy Unit cost much, much more than if bought separately, in the region of 500,000 instead of 50,000. I don't know Oolite's formula. Perhaps it somehow factors in the TL of the equipment?
It sounds like a X of ship cost instead of a +, of course that could be way off base and is a massive assumption and only me thinking aloud. I await with nervous (almost visceral) anticipation the near inevitable....... No, IT Isn't.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Commander McLane wrote:
Staer9 wrote:

It would be good to finally know what causes this disproportion and fix it...