A Solar Systems OXP - @Frame

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Thargoid wrote:
One other concern. The planet pointed at by system.mainPlanet will now be one of the far away ones, and the one that's in its place will fail a system.isMainPlanet check (because as far as the game is concerned it's a supplimentary one).

This will mess up some aspects of Planetfall. All of your planets will be treated as sub-planets (added ones), and you will no longer get any of the main planet locations appearing.

Not sure if your marking will work in this case or not? (as I've just seen your post alteration ;) ).
The Main planet is game wise stil at the same location, what I changed is just the Coordinate system. The main station is still above the main planet... just at another location... the sun is still at the same position relative to the main planet and so on... the sun will be very far away when you jump to any other planet than the main planet...

In a new planet system, these added planets are not the main planet of course

Edit forgot... once you enter a jump gate, everything else usually has already spawned, and therefore will be at the correct relative coordinates

Edit2: even the witch space and navigation boys... at absolute coordinate 0,0,0. Oolite spawns ships, that searches for the nearest planet, and ofcourse finds our new planet to target. I might have to give them a New AI in order for them to dock to a station... but that should also prove trivial as there is plenty of time to do that while they head for the planet...

Edit3: police ships that spawns at the main station may have to have an altered AI too...
Last edited by Frame on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ah gotcha, misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were saying you were moving the initial planet set "out of the way" and rebuilding the system from scratch.

If you're re-using the existing main planet (and station) then that should be fine.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Thargoid wrote:
Ah gotcha, misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were saying you were moving the initial planet set "out of the way" and rebuilding the system from scratch.

If you're re-using the existing main planet (and station) then that should be fine.
yeah its one big joggle with planets. everything just get moved around relatively to each other.

one could say, I'm having a lot of "balls" in the air ;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Frame wrote:
yeah its one big joggle with planets. everything just get moved around relatively to each other.

one could say, I'm having a lot of "balls" in the air ;-)
*pictures Frame juggling a whole solar system*

*gets mind boggled*

*scampers off*
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

It seems the precision problems strikes back...

Ships at far off places, cant seem to fly when the distance is to great
they will go full throttle, however they are dead in space...

This beats the entire idea of moving ships around...

I can remove all ships, before jumping to the new planet system,
however that means all ships in the main lane will be scrapped

I can maintain the stations, since they are stationary, store theire respective AI and switch it to NullAI, in order for them not to launch anything...

I had however hoped for a more dynamic Solar System

I could also nuke the entire space lane, save the main station, and use a special ship AI to send a script event of exited hyperspace... (fake it so to speak), which should in theory recreate everything in the main space lane.. But that means many ifs... since most writers assume you only leave witch space once, pr system... So that is not a solution...

i´m slowly drifting back to my original idea of having planets at 7,000,000 million Oolite km apart at max... since that will preserve everything...

but first i´ll finish my concept OXP before deciding anything...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

What about asking Ahruman, A_C & co. to do something about the precision problem?

Isn't that something they could change in the Core Game via changing a few variables?
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Frame »

Lestradae wrote:
What about asking Ahruman, A_C & co. to do something about the precision problem?

Isn't that something they could change in the Core Game via changing a few variables?
I'm afraid it is not that simple, as it is the internal coordinate system of Oolite that is causing these problems, along with only two digit precision of effects. what is causing the models to shake so much, is extreme values, so that calculations gets more and more inaccurate...

I´m leaving for the holidays these next 4 days...

so happy Christmas everybody....

Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Lestradae »

Frame wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
I'm afraid it is not that simple, as it is the internal coordinate system of Oolite that is causing these problems, along with only two digit precision of effects.
Well, then my idea would go into the direction of implementing four- or five digit precision instead - then the shaking effect would happen a 100 million "kilometres" away and not 7 million - big enough for an Oolite solar system to be built.

Merry X-mas to you :)

L
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

When i´m getting tired of java scripting, i make some textures..

just finished the yellow gas giant, for some reason i´m particularly pleased with this one

using this map

Edit snicker: I just think I accidentally discovered Raxxala... into the treasure chest... ;-)

Being Nasty, I can use this to make it impossible for the player to scoop fuel from the sun since a planet with an atmosphere would force him to slow down, while at the sametime rising his cabin temprature fast, when flying fast inside an atmosphere..

OXP worthy thingi
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Progress

Seems Oolite is playing along nicely, when altering system name, that even means of you use a future updated version of save anywhere OXP, that you can tell from the description of the save file, where in the system you are...

for example it will write Xeoner II, in the description, before you load the save game.

Also, this means we can use the planet description screen for when in the planet system descriptions... this leaves the player To-do some exploring instead of just having everything delivered on a silver plate via the planet description screen. however, once there in the extra planet system, everything on his status screen is updated accordingly....

It even means we can alter what we want, and still be sure to keep everything as is, since we backup the native government so that this is set, once he jumps back to the main system OR do load a savegame, wherein we in mission variables have stored the original system settings...

So if for example we wanted to give Lave a plutoid like dwarf planet with a top notch tech level of 15, and set it to anarchy, the populator of the extra planet space lane will act accordingly and add more pirates... and you will be perfectly able to buy tech level 15 equipment there.

A future release of save anywhere OXP will deal with the ships that spawns upon loading the game... by simply removing every ship save the main station and buoys. special stations and their dependencies...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Go Frame go

Post by Lestradae »

Just wanted to mention again that your work is deeply appreciated by this player here :D

Go Frame go!

:)

L
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Go Frame go

Post by Frame »

Lestradae wrote:
Just wanted to mention again that your work is deeply appreciated by this player here :D

Go Frame go!

:)

L
Thanks.. :oops: your appreciations are very welcome as a task like this can seem very very daunting sometimes. I get Motivated by appreciations and I do need it ;-)

I took half an hour and created an untextured model of a mining station

its centre section is going to rotate, likewise the back section, while the docking section is going to counter-rotate so that it does not rotate..

In light of newly discovered information about how Oolite treats sub entities, the top hierarchy model, is going to be one of two largest segments

this is a 1280 polygon model.. its polygon count is going to be smaller as the rear section is made up of boxes with a lot of hidden polygons that i can do away with.. further optimisations is going to cut polygon cut even more... I reckon that i can get it down to 700-800 polygons...

Any way here is the model,I hope to use this in asteroid belts. Belts that I hope to create with some clever spawning and removing script... so it will seem like one big stream of asteroids.. A miners paradise so to speak... Stations should offer precious such as Gold, Gems, Platinum & Hopefully if installed the Ore processor at a ridiculously high price..

Bounty Scanner
Number 935
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice - looking forward to seeing it fully textured. Keep up the good work.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

hm

Post by Lestradae »

Frame, how did you acquire the picture with the transparent planet? Because I have had such planets now twice in my game and then it crashed to desktop :(

Is this a known Oolite bug? Or what is it? Never saw it before 1.72.1 ...

Not so cheery :?

L
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: hm

Post by Frame »

Lestradae wrote:
Frame, how did you acquire the picture with the transparent planet? Because I have had such planets now twice in my game and then it crashed to desktop :(

Is this a known Oolite bug? Or what is it? Never saw it before 1.72.1 ...

Not so cheery :?

L
I just press alt+print screen while playing in a window, then i open an image editor, make a new image with the size of the window, and then select paste.. pressing print screen, is like selecting copy, only you copy the entire screen.. using alt means you only copy the current window in focus...

the transparent planets are generated via specific settings in the planet-info.plist file... and have not crashed my system at all.... and they are 100% stable as in they show the same result each time....

I just happened to stumble upon this....
Bounty Scanner
Number 935