Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Elite : Reclamation (Novel)

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Elite : Reclamation (Novel)

Post by drew »

pagroove wrote:
Only one tip for the video's. Don't boost the music. As I understand Youtube compresses the music also. So then you get over compression. And the music sounds distorted. :D
I haven't touched the music myself, I guess perhaps the samples I've got have already been tweaked in the past. I'll see if I can avoid any artefacts in the future!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Folks. Posted an update about Elite:Reclamation - got some of my own concept art in there.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eli ... sts/370983

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Your work is starting to sound DAMN good.

Some of the spoilers about the content and environment of ED are making me feel a bit less enthusiastic about the actual game though.

The return of the original Elite logo indicated a return to an Elite-like universe. Instead we're going post FFE. Therefore no GalCop. Probably also the "realistic" galaxy as envisioned in FFE will be the setting, therefore no sectors/galaxies or galactic hyperdrive. Therefore about 700 planets that we know and love from Elite will be missing.

Although this was expected, it was expected in a "please no" kind of way, and the confirmation that this is indeed the case is a bit of a downer. I was kinda hoping that ED would be a "back to basics" kind of game in terms of the universe.

:-(
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Selezen wrote:
Some of the spoilers about the content and environment of ED are making me feel a bit less enthusiastic about the actual game though.
Agree on both counts!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

I finally got around to pledging!

Silly economy, holding me back from supporting the writer of the excellent Oolite Saga!

Also, the lady in the video. Model? Friend? I'm genuinely interested how she came about. Does one simply pay beautiful womanz to pose for trailers?
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Cody

Post by Cody »

OneoftheLost wrote:
... the lady in the video. Model? Friend? I'm genuinely interested how she came about.
She was procedurally generated. <chortles>
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

El Viejo wrote:
OneoftheLost wrote:
... the lady in the video. Model? Friend? I'm genuinely interested how she came about.
She was procedurally generated. <chortles>

:lol:
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Selezen wrote:

The return of the original Elite logo indicated a return to an Elite-like universe. Instead we're going post FFE. Therefore no GalCop. Probably also the "realistic" galaxy as envisioned in FFE will be the setting, therefore no sectors/galaxies or galactic hyperdrive. Therefore about 700 planets that we know and love from Elite will be missing.

Although this was expected, it was expected in a "please no" kind of way, and the confirmation that this is indeed the case is a bit of a downer. I was kinda hoping that ED would be a "back to basics" kind of game in terms of the universe.

:-(
Well, to each his own, I guess. I would have been rather horrified if they had ignored all the forward steps that they made with Frontier and FFE insofar as realistic galaxy is concerned. Now, I'm hoping that they'll be able to combine the best of both worlds.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Hit my second stretch goal of £6,000. I fab early Christmas present. Set myself some charity donation goals as part of the stretch targets now. Onwards. Not long left either!

See you after the 26th.

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I like the cancer subject, actually. Very topical. I don't want to get anyone down about this (as I am trying not to be) but my stepmum passed away from lung cancer on the 20th, and my dad is also in the latter stages of terminal...well, everything at the moment cancer.

So any donations to cancer-related charities are a good thing at the moment. Macmillan and Marie Curie in particular helped my stepmum and dad through the last few months a great deal. Cancer Research obviously need as much help as can be given too.

Well Done, Drew. I think you're the only Kickstarter I've seen that has added a charitable donation. Kudos +1.

:-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Selezen wrote:
Macmillan
These are wonderful people - I know from having seen them work at very close quarters!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Selezen wrote:
I like the cancer subject, actually. Very topical. I don't want to get anyone down about this (as I am trying not to be) but my stepmum passed away from lung cancer on the 20th, and my dad is also in the latter stages of terminal...well, everything at the moment cancer.
)
My father has terminal cancer too. Has only a few months left by the most optimistic assessments. Unlikely to see E:R come to fruition unfortunately. I'm dedicating the book to him and hope to have the 'Hiram Holroyd' Station somewhere in the game...

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

There's a lot of it about at the moment - we got lucky with my wife - her Thyroid Cancer was contained with her tumour so she didn't need any follow up (and quite icky) radioactive iodine treatment. She didn't get presents for her birthday last month she got her friends to donate their gift to the Thyroid cancer charity that supported us while she was having her treatment in the run up to having her Thyroid removed.

I have a Cancer Research Gift Aid card and at the moment all my charitable donations are going to them.

That was the reason I, and I suspect Drew too, entered the Fusion competition run by Fantastic Books Publishing and why we keep plugging the book, not so much for our own work, but that 10% of sales will go to cancer charity, forever!

Despite working for Military organisations for the last 20yrs I would willingly find a different line of work, if defence budgets were spent (briefly I suspect) into research cancer treatments and cures.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

OneoftheLost wrote:
Also, the lady in the video. Model? Friend? I'm genuinely interested how she came about. Does one simply pay beautiful womanz to pose for trailers?
She's not who you may think she is... :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Drew, i just read on kickstarters terms and condutions that the donation of any proceeds to charity us not allowed. I think you should have a read and make sure that you haven't broken any rules.

Don't want to get thus close only to lose everything on a technicality!