Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Progress

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Progress

Post by another_commander »

kanthoney wrote:
After a little play around, what works best for me is leaving the short range chart as it is now, and then 2x/4x current for the long range chart. Doubling speeds for the short range chart is a little too quick.
I tend to agree with this. I think it's the best compromise between looking good and still being usable.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

it's very nifty. Be very useful to the chaps using netbooks and the (thingy like a mini netbook for gaming) One question...... I can't seem to bring up the 'flight path' shortest/quickest route. I assume the keys have changed? was shift or shift and ctrl + F6 (6)

I note that there are some tags to the right of the galactic map are these for use?

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Bangbangduck wrote:
I can't seem to bring up the 'flight path' shortest/quickest route.
Working okay here - shift+6, then Ctrl.
Bangbangduck wrote:
I note that there are some tags to the right of the galactic map are these for use?
Do you have BGS installed?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Hi Cody

Thanks for the reply. I've just had a funny five minutes with my screen res going on one and oolite-trunk not wanting to run an the setting I picked to get the screen back to normal.

Well shift and Ctrl plus 6 is now working........... not sure why it wouldn't initially. As for BGS.........please ignore part 2 of my question. I'm on my larger laptop at the moment. For which I have to borrow a psu to run so I am a little unfamiliar with some cosmetics LOL!

EDIT: I have had to hand the psu back to the missus as her laptop battery was going flat. But I just had time to run oolite up to recheck the galactic map. AS a new commander it didnt work. As a saved game commander it did......... At the risk of embarrassing myself further does this indicate a piece of equipment on the ship being the difference...........

As an aside is it possible, for those using netbooks or the 'thingy', to have the highlighted route visible in the local area map? Look upon it as being large print for the optically challenged, like me :mrgreen:

BBD
Last edited by Bangbangduck on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Bangbangduck wrote:
it's very nifty. Be very useful to the chaps using netbooks and the (thingy like a mini netbook for gaming) One question...... I can't seem to bring up the 'flight path' shortest/quickest route. I assume the keys have changed? was shift or shift and ctrl + F6 (6)

BBD
Flight path route doesn't work on short range scanner, only on long range scanner (galactic chart)
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Hi Z

Yeah I did know that :D But it has prompted THE question in the post above. New PSU for my big laptop on the way as well so I'll be hitting the 4004 event horizon soon :mrgreen:

BBD
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bangbangduck wrote:
But I just had time to run oolite up to recheck the galactic map. AS a new commander it didnt work. As a saved game commander it did......... At the risk of embarrassing myself further does this indicate a piece of equipment on the ship being the difference...........
Yup.. it only works when you have the Advanced Navigational Array installed.
Bangbangduck wrote:
the 'thingy'
Also sometimes referred to as the Pandora.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

That would explain it then............ I'll just be over there -----------> Beating myself with a large stick.. Ouch! Ouch! Ow!

Pandora! that's the thingy!

BBD
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

In tonight's nightly build, we will no longer have separate long range and short range charts. Instead we'll have one chart which can be zoomed in and out, using page up and page down, and scrolled around using the cursor keys. The planet finder text search will be activated by F6 (so it'll work just as in the old long range scanner) and everything else should work as normal.

If you've got an Advanced Navigational Array, that should now work when zoomed in as well.

I'm pleased with the results, and I hope you are too. Also, I'm going for a lie down :lol:
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Top Job. Quite a significant improvement to the navigation console. A big bonus to small screen users. Thank you for all the effort!

BBD
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

Forgot to post a screenie:

capture
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

WOW! A picture is worth a thousand words! Looks 'Killer'!

BBD
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You need to see this in action to grasp what it really is about. In this case, a picture is just too few words...
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Wow... Really looking forward to this! :-)

thanks kanthoney!

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

<The penguin is bowing before kanthoney>
Well done! :shock:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]