Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Caduceus

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

The Caddy has a problem with fuel stations, which don't have a docking port per se. But that's not because of it's size; the Caddy is a fairly compact ship, width/height wise.

Now the Kirin is a honkin' big brute, and the pilot has to be careful easing that thing into dock, as there's precious little room for error.
Parking the original BCC is an adventure as well; it's quite tall but not so wide. You need to dock it sideways. I'm sure there's some other ships that need abnormal methods to dock.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
I'm sure there's some other ships that need abnormal methods to dock.
Like the ol' "brute force and lots of vaseline" technique, you mean? :twisted: :mrgreen:

Link to the related thread

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

There was a school of thought that maybe intersecting collission boxes might be to blame but we checked that. Caddy was scaled down to try and fix this issue and pilots HAVE flown it through fuel stations and other nondocking ports before. But there is still something twitchy about it that makes it fail more than it should.

I've looked at the code, as have several others and technically there appears to be nothing wrong with it. I am going to try stripping down a version and see if that fixes it. There are two intersecting objects as part of the main body of the craft, but we'd find out if that was it, by stripping down the ship and seeing if it still goes boom!

To be honest I'm running out of ideas. It's a difficult bug to squash.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
I'm sure there's some other ships that need abnormal methods to dock.
Like the ol' "brute force and lots of vaseline" technique, you mean? :twisted: :mrgreen:

Link to the related thread

:groan: :roll:

Any ship that requires the liberal application of several TCs of AstroGlide on it's hull to dock, is waaaaaaaaaay too large to even try to dock. Amirite?
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

ClymAngus wrote:
There was a school of thought that maybe intersecting collission boxes might be to blame but we checked that. Caddy was scaled down to try and fix this issue and pilots HAVE flown it through fuel stations and other nondocking ports before. But there is still something twitchy about it that makes it fail more than it should.

I've looked at the code, as have several others and technically there appears to be nothing wrong with it. I am going to try stripping down a version and see if that fixes it. There are two intersecting objects as part of the main body of the craft, but we'd find out if that was it, by stripping down the ship and seeing if it still goes boom!

To be honest I'm running out of ideas. It's a difficult bug to squash.
I came to the conclusion that the weirdness didn't lie with the Caddy, but with the fuel station somehow. Still a difficult problem to pin down.
In the meanwhile, my workaround solution was to hack the fuel station oxp so that only the satellites appeared. The sats let you gas up without blowing you up.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You don't need to hack it if you have OXPConfig installed. I set one of the flag up specifically to disable the stations and only show satellites, just for you caddy-jockeys.

And I seem to recall that some of the Thargoid Hives in Cataclysm also had the problem, so it's not just an issue with Fuel Station ;) (and other ships with sub-ents also had it, so it's not just the Caddy either).
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Thargoid wrote:

And I seem to recall that some of the Thargoid Hives in Cataclysm also had the problem, so it's not just an issue with Fuel Station ;) (and other ships with sub-ents also had it, so it's not just the Caddy either).
Yeah, I noticed that, too. It seems to happen when a ship with subents, especially flak turrets, meets station objects without a 'proper' docking port.

BOOM! "Press space". Welcome to reincarnation! Here's an aspirin for the pain in the neck.

Us starjocks just can't get ahead some days.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Any ship that requires the liberal application of several TCs of AstroGlide on it's hull to dock, is waaaaaaaaaay too large to even try to dock. Amirite?
Yup... Uamrite.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

evolution

Post by Fatleaf »

I was wandering with the arrival of some of the fancy new gear on the vortex. does the Caduceus feel like evolving some time soon?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: evolution

Post by ClymAngus »

Fatleaf wrote:
I was wandering with the arrival of some of the fancy new gear on the vortex. does the Caduceus feel like evolving some time soon?
Well there's a bump map thing in the offing but that's about it at the moment. I'm currently dealing with the vectormaps. Getting everyone nice printable versions that don't kill the toner.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Does the Caddy have any issues with Superhub OXP?
It's incredibly large but still using a non-standard dock "port", so I don't know if it'll work ok.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Switeck wrote:
Does the Caddy have any issues with Superhub OXP?
It's incredibly large but still using a non-standard dock "port", so I don't know if it'll work ok.
Probably the only way to find out is trying. :)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

<sigh> Yeah, he's right. Time to sacrifice a Jameson.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

ClymAngus wrote:
<sigh> Yeah, he's right. Time to sacrifice a Jameson.
Make sure he's wearing red for this away mission :lol:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Oooo get your generation right! Bile yellow or blood red depending on your time line, either could be lethal!

Red, RED! The colour of sacrifice, borne from the raw blood stench pouring from my many wounds as I bleed for the lives of the officers! Red which binds invisibly like crimson treacle to the fabric of my spandex shirt, as unnoticed as all the pathetic efforts of my meagre life! Red like the crying eyes of the children as the weep at the side of my broken form!!!

Where shall we sleep now mother? They scream; Fathers GRAVE???

"it's ok, Jonny, calm down. I think we should be going home now."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJxafiqHvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj84tfS7 ... re=related

:D