Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Trunk nightly

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Trunk nightly

Post by SirArian »

SirArian wrote:
cim wrote:
Thanks - I think that should be fixed now for tonight's build.

Has your commander recently reached Competent rank, by any chance? If so then I'm pretty certain I've fixed it ... otherwise it might be something else.
He just reached deadly. I'll try to update it tonight and let you know if it happens again.
I have played a bit and didn't notice it happening again, so I guess whatever you did fixed it. Thanks! :)
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Trunk nightly 1.79.0.5678-140317-68c555e

Post by cim »

Cody wrote:
... and a dumb question on multiple misjumps (intra-interstellar space): expected core behaviour is Thargoids appear at all subsequent midway points, yes?
For now, yes. Interstellar space in general needs more work on it at some point.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Trunk nightly 1.79.0.5687-140327-6045e59

Post by Cody »

Some possibly odd behaviour: I launched from a rock hermit, and a Python +2 (all offenders) threatened me. But the Python was a teaser, and instead of opening fire, it headed off into the black, as did his two pals, all bleating for help. I hadn't even fired a shot, either - but when I did lay into the Python, his pals made no response. I let them all go in the end, as I had other, more pressing, business. I presume they were operating together - it certainly seemed that way, as they were tightly grouped when they first challenged me. I did have valuable parcels aboard, but these surely weren't assassins.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: Trunk nightly 1.79.0.5687-140327-6045e59

Post by Getafix »

Cody wrote:
...it certainly seemed that way, as they were tightly grouped when they first challenged me...
Cody it seems that the link is broken. :?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

What sort of threat? Cargo demand, or just general hostility?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Straightforward 'Die, Mercurial Amethyst!' messages (the above link is working again).
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

I suspect that was an opportunist trader, then. Looks like there are a couple of bugs in their "no-one will ever know" routine:
1) they don't check the combat odds before engaging, so it probably attacked, then took a look at your ship and decided to run away instead.
2) they're supposed to check there's no-one else about, but what they were actually doing is checking there were no other traders about.

I'll put together a fix for both of those - thanks for the report.
Cody

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
... so it probably attacked, then took a look at your ship and decided to run away instead.
<chortles> Is Mercurial Amethyst that ugly?
Cody

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
I have a suspicion some of them are jumping out before the 15 seconds are up...
Do you still harbour such a suspicion, Admiral? A lone Cobra III just hyperspaced out PDQ (an 'anybody want a lift' message, followed immediately by the jump). I don't have a time, but it seemed to be able to jump from closer to the station than I could. Its witchspace cloud can be seen on the scanner in this pic.
SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SirArian »

Cody wrote:
cim wrote:
I have a suspicion some of them are jumping out before the 15 seconds are up...
Do you still harbour such a suspicion, Admiral? A lone Cobra III just hyperspaced out PDQ (an 'anybody want a lift' message, followed immediately by the jump). I don't have a time, but it seemed to be able to jump from closer to the station than I could. Its witchspace cloud can be seen on the scanner in this pic.
A Cobra III can jump from anything farther than about 6 km. I'm not entirely sure, but that looks like it is about right... (Not that I have any idea what I am talking about... So you should probably just ignore every thing that I have said.)
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Cody wrote:
Its witchspace cloud can be seen on the scanner in this pic.
It looks like it's just about clear from that picture, assuming the station is a Coriolis. Close, though.

The only way I can think it might have been able to jump out more quickly is if your clock was still adjusting slightly from having launched from the station. That probably needs fixing.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yes, it was a Coriolis (as shown by it blocking my jump). I had launched well before the Cobra in question, and was waiting for a lift.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Curious, then. I don't see an obvious way that could have happened.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yeah, curious... I'm seeing a few lone ships call the 'anyone want a lift' message as they launch (before they have control, I think), then jumping from as close to Coriolis stations as possible. Is nav buoy distance from the station about as close as it's feasible to jump? Meanwhile, back in the Ismaan region... Geteve is not displaying as it should, on F7 and in-system (using Povray Planets). I'll get back out there after coffee for another look.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Cody wrote:
Yeah, curious... I'm seeing a few lone ships call the 'anyone want a lift' message as they launch (before they have control, I think), then jumping from as close to Coriolis stations as possible. Is nav buoy distance from the station about as close as it's feasible to jump?
For a Coriolis slightly closer than that is possible - 7.2km centre-to-centre of it, so about 6.5km on the STE range should be sufficient. They'll call at the moment they get control; depending on speed they might just hit the boundary as the 15 seconds are up - more likely with a fast ship like a Cobra III.

Interestingly there's a code comment on the witchspace blocking function that sets out a series of calculations necessary to get a blocking range of about 10km for an old-style Coriolis (the Griff one is slightly heavier) ... which is then ignored to set a lower value for one of the constants.
Cody wrote:
Geteve is not displaying as it should
I was hoping we'd fixed that one... Thanks.