Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[UPDATED RELEASE] Coyote's Run Mission

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

metatheurgist
Competent
Competent

Re: [UPDATED RELEASE] Coyote's Run Mission

Post by metatheurgist »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Wild-assed guess.. do you use a joystick with a throttle control?
Good guess. I've been itching to play Elite with a real stick + programmable buttons since the days of scrabbling over the keyboard of my C64. Makes me feel like a honest to god Fighter Pilot when I can lock, target and launch missiles off my stick. I guess the throttle control is lying when it says I've throttled to 0?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [UPDATED RELEASE] Coyote's Run Mission

Post by Diziet Sma »

metatheurgist wrote:
Makes me feel like a honest to god Fighter Pilot when I can lock, target and launch missiles off my stick.
I hear you there.. I just love having missiles, guns, targeting, pylon selection, equipment selection and activation, screenshots, injectors, Torus, ECM, views and throttle all right there on the stick! :D If my stick only had another half-a-dozen buttons I could almost fly without touching the keyboard at all! :lol:
metatheurgist wrote:
I guess the throttle control is lying when it says I've throttled to 0?
Not exactly lying.. Doing its' very best but not quite succeeding is the way I'd put it.

If you feel inclined, you can read about the saga with BGS beginning with this post. Basically many (but not all) joystick throttles have a tiny bit of "jitter" in them. Not enough to matter in normal circumstances, but if an OXP insists on precisely zero (or maximum throttle, for that matter) most joysticks will not be able to consistently deliver a zero value. The exact same situation holds for the 'stick itself, which is why joystick software provides adjustable dead-zones for the 3 main axis'. It never seems to have occurred to anyone to do the same for the throttle, even though technically it can be considered as just another axis.

A couple of OXPs which required an exact zero speed have been identified and fixed, it looks like Coyote's Run will be the third.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Hamishthecat
Above Average
Above Average

Coyote's Run mission

Post by Hamishthecat »

Hello everyone,

I've been playing the Coyote's Run mission for a while now but i've got stuck.

I've been told to go to the main station at Atbiarxe to meet up with some friends before rescuing someone but when I dock at the station nothing happens.

I've had a look in my save game and the bits that refer to the mission are as follows:

<key>mission_CoyoteFerdie_status</key>
<string>KILLED</string>
<key>mission_CoyotePhythonPilot</key>
<string>RESCUED</string>
<key>mission_Coyote_KatikHunt</key>
<string>9</string>
<key>mission_Coyote_jumpCount</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>mission_Coyote_status</key>
<string>STAGE_280</string>

Please can anyone help?

Thanks, Dave
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Coyote's Run mission

Post by Smivs »

I've had a quick look into the OXP and as far as I can see you should get a mission screen when you dock at Atbiarxe.
This OXP is Okti's work, and he is quite busy with RL(TM) at the moment, but he does look in when he can, so hopefully you will get an answer soon. Sorry I can't be more help.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hmm... Atbiarxe, eh? About to meet Greer and Cameron, I think. Thing is, I know the tale of the OXP, but cannot deal with the technicalities of it.
As Smivs says, hopefully Okti will pop-in some time soon.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

When you hyperspace into Atbiarxe system, there should be a Viper added close by. You need to pull up alongside it, stop, and be inspected, before the next stage of the mission is triggered. My initial advice would be to try jumping back into the system again, and look/wait for the viper.

If all else fails, I believe that setting mission_Coyote_status to STAGE_290 before docking at Atbiarxe ought to allow you to progress without meeting the viper.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<nods in thanks at the only Elite-rated squirrel in the Eight>
Hamishthecat
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hamishthecat »

Thanks Mauiby (and others). That's done the trick.

I'm now onto the next part of the mission.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Two separate Coyote's Run mission threads merged into one.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thank you kindly, Admiral.
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

I'm totally stuck with this mission.

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

I've got to the start point, engaged the cloaking device and have seen a Fugitive Python appear on my scanner. Bounty was 150CR. I've approached the craft that has then jumped to Ririqu. The bounty now falling to 75Cr.

I've done this jump a few times now, originally with the Galactic Navy OXP. They open up on the Python, but it can never be destroyed. I disabled this OXP and tried again. The Python just sits there in space and does nothing.

I've flown around the system looking out for hostile ships, but none have shown up. I've blasted the Python but cannot destroy it. Am I doing something wrong here?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

As I remember this one confused me to start with too. I think you don't follow the Python immediately - wait a little while for another ship to go through the wormhole first.

You might want to take out the Galactic Navy OXP while doing this mission as I think this may not be the only time they get in the way.
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Thanks, off to give that a try now. I was about to say the fiction was not playing out as expected. I will be a lot slower this time and see if another ship shows up.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Only engage the cloak briefly (to start the mission), then uncloak, lock onto the Python, and follow it through the wormhole. Another ship (a Ferdie) will then attack you - force it to flee, then attack the Python and encourage it to eject, scoop the pod, then deal with the returning Ferdie. After that, follow the on-screen orders.
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Cody wrote:
Only engage the cloak briefly (to start the mission), then uncloak, lock onto the Python, and follow it through the wormhole. Another ship (a Ferdie) will then attack you - force it to flee, then attack the Python and encourage it to eject, scoop the pod, then deal with the returning Ferdie. After that, follow the on-screen orders.
OK, going to give that another go. I engaged cloak, saw the Python and then approached uncloaked. After going through the wormhole a Ferdie is yet to show. I just see an unpowered non destroyable Python.

Will reload and try again, this time without any other OXPs.