Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Idea about the Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Re: Idea about the Wiki

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I won't be fixing some of them.

Simply because I'm re-writing them completely. :P When I get close to finished, I'll update all the OXP's and remove "maximum_version" information as Ahruman has requested.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Idea about the Wiki

Post by Commander McLane »

I changed the legend today, after this thread started. I haven't yet gone over the existing entries, but someone definitely should do it (and it's not going to be me).

That's BTW the problem with Wiki information: it has to be kept up-to-date. It's good that some guys put a lot of effort in creating this new OXP page, but unfortunately this effort is wasted if there isn't another effort to keep it up-to-date. Thargoid and myself (among others) pointed that out when the new page was debated. We also pointed out that for us scripters the new OXP page is more a burden than a blessing. It's one more thing we have to take care of, after we've already taken care of each individual OXP's page, our own OXP index pages, ship pages and whatnot, and also posting update notifications here on the boards.

I was opposed to the version column from the very beginning, because I anticipated the nightmare it would be to maintain it. Since the page existed I haven't flagged a single one of my OXPs either way. I'm doing it now, because I'm updating them and am typing new upload dates (or adding new OXPs like Fireworks) anyway. Therefore the 'Y's for my OXPs actually signify compatibility to 1.75 (at least for Anarchies - Generation Ships at this point). But will I return and edit the whole table again when 1.75.1 comes out, and it turns out that my OXPs continue to work? I doubt it.

And ultimately I only take responsibility for the single OXP pages which I have created, and my user page which links to them (see sig below). If you want to know whether Anarchies.oxp is compatible to 1.75, and which version of the OXP to download if you're still playing on Oolite 1.58, go visit [wiki]Anarchies OXP[/wiki]. That's where the music plays. The main function of the OXP table is to link to that page, nothing more.