Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BB Logo competition for v1.75

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: BB Logo competition for v1.75

Post by Smivs »

As this is the Oolite Bulletin Board/Forum I personally think that the Oolite Icon should be used.
We are not using this logo to try to 'sell' the game as users of the forum are already players, nor should it be an advertisement for various OXPs.
It is our Oolite Forum, and like the game itself, I feel it should be clean, un-fussy and functional.
This is my candidate.

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Is it possible to have two images... one at top left of the header, one at top right?
It would balance-up the whole header, and centre the main title.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Here's a version minus the text (which allows a bit more room for the Cobra, too):

and a version with a Thargoid (thanks, EV!):

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
As this is the Oolite Bulletin Board/Forum I personally think that the Oolite Icon should be used.
We are not using this logo to try to 'sell' the game as users of the forum are already players, nor should it be an advertisement for various OXPs.
It is our Oolite Forum, and like the game itself, I feel it should be clean, un-fussy and functional.
This is my candidate.

I have to say that I see nothing wrong with doing both (Selling the game and presenting the bb). As such, Disembodied's second third version, with the logo, is still my favourite. On the other hand, your argument about not advertising for various OXP's is valid, even though I think OXP's are an integral part of the game. So, small suggestion, could you try your design with Disembodied's background (which I think is truly excellent), provided you get his permission of course.

Edit: Disembodied posted updates while I was typing.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

There's nothing wrong with selling the game, except the Forum users have already bought in.
And while I agree that OXPs are an integral part of the game, I see no reason to 'promote' them in the forum logo.
I think it is far too easy to lose track of what this is. We are looking for a small logo to fill an empty corner at the top of a Users Forum. No more, no less than that. It's not an advertisement, it's not an Art Gallery. It's not even something most people would consciously notice.
Hence my suggestion that this be kept simple and discreet.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
except the Forum users have already bought in.
That's not always the case, I reckon.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
There's nothing wrong with selling the game, except the Forum users have already bought in.
And while I agree that OXPs are an integral part of the game, I see no reason to 'promote' them in the forum logo.
I think it is far too easy to lose track of what this is. We are looking for a small logo to fill an empty corner at the top of a Users Forum. No more, no less than that. It's not an advertisement, it's not an Art Gallery. It's not even something most people would consciously notice.
Fair enough and point taken.
Just happen to like the "this side of Riedquat" touch in the background.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Cody

Post by Cody »

Just as well it's not my decision... I'd have a full colour banner right across the header.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Just as well it's not my decision... I'd have a full colour banner right across the header.
So would I probably, but Smivs arguments are certainly valid, and I have to bow to his point about losing track about what this is. I still like the flashy versions though.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

What does it look like on the Forum page? Click to enlarge.

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

That does look quite elegant Smivs. Not flashy, but elegant. Now I can't make up my mind any more.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Smivs wrote:
I disagree with virtually all of this. If we follow this logic to its obvious conclusion, we might as well do away with the logo entirely. After all, it provides no information to anyone already 'in the know', and as such is just a waste of space.
I don't really have any strong opinion on whether the BB needs a logo or not, but if we're going to have one, I see no reason not to make it as pretty as possible.

Furthermore, the assumption that every single person who comes to these boards is already well acquainted with the game does not hold up. They may come here by way of a link*, or after having done a search of some sort. In the wild jungle of the hyperweb there are certainly more than one way to get here.

*And speaking of links. Facebook, and I'm sure a lot of other sites, can automagically include a thumbnail when someone posts a link. I just checked, and it appears that our current logo isn't available as such, but if this could be turned on with some sort of setting, the benefits of a good-looking logo should be self-evident.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

CheeseRedux wrote:
....we might as well do away with the logo entirely.
This is a valid option. I don't like clutter. Simple can be better than complicated. Nothing-at-all can be better than simple.
Cody

Post by Cody »

But we like pretty and shiny and star-speckled.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just to be totally inconsistent, I have to admit I do like the starry, 'short-range-charty' background in Disembodied's logo.
Maybe Gimi is on to something, and a fusion of the two might be a good solution. I would certainly be happy with something like that.