Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

nasty and deadly

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: nasty and deadly

Post by Ganelon »

Any of the multiple laser ships can be nasty if they're in a pack. Zig when you should have zagged and they'll have you pressing space. Griff Kraits are trouble mostly early in a fight, once you have at least some of them on the run a bit, they're manageable. Imperial Couriers less so, since they don't seem as inclined to turn tail after getting some damage. Imps also have a turn ratio that is a real pain if you're in something like a Griff Boa. Less of a problem if you're in a Cobra Mk III.

One on one, they aren't so bad, but if there's two or more in a pack with other ships, I've ended up getting cut to crap real fast sometimes. Basically anything can be trouble if it's worse odds than five or six to one, but the multi-laser ships in particular are among my least favourite to see on the other side.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

I know it is hard coded, but I really wish multi-lasers were available for the player.
While I am happy with mili-lasers against usual pirates, etc - Some extra firepower
would be useful against big targets like frigates and Thargon Battleships...

:)
***Ship Log***
Ship:Caduceus Omega - Invidious Domain
Legal:Clean
Rating:Dangerous
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Multi-lasers would overheat really quickly, which is why you can deliver more sustained damage by rotating around and giving the big ships fire from your side and/or rear lasers as well while your front laser cools down.
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

Switeck wrote:
Multi-lasers would overheat really quickly, which is why you can deliver more sustained damage by rotating around and giving the big ships fire from your side and/or rear lasers as well while your front laser cools down.
Yes - Hence the aft lasers I use on every ship I have owned since playing Elite in the 1980s. ;)
It seems that scope for adding new core content in Oolite is a bit limited...
***Ship Log***
Ship:Caduceus Omega - Invidious Domain
Legal:Clean
Rating:Dangerous
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

curtsibling wrote:
Switeck wrote:
Yes - Hence the aft lasers I use on every ship I have owned since playing Elite in the 1980s. ;)
It seems that scope for adding new core content in Oolite is a bit limited...
A little unfair - Oolite has always been inspired by the original Elite and many of it's ideals still hold strong by the vast majority of players and the developers - that's why we don't have laser coolers - it's why we can't jump more than 7ly in a single jump and why we don't have "realistic" distances and speeds or indeed full blown Newtonian Physics for Flight.

Since the code is open source anybody who finds the Oolite Core engine a bit restrictive is more than welcome to take it away and do something else with it, or PM Lestradae and help him with Oolite Extended.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here