Torus jump issue

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

El Viejo wrote:
… occasionly, there are some patches of some systems that have no space dust, hence no sense of movement… they can come and go quite suddenly. Maybe that is what you are experiencing.
I have no knowledge of this, the only thing I can say with certainty is that I can have the Torus Drive active and the visual effect of this being the flying dust, then get mass locked from an encountered ship and once that has passed or I have navigated away from it, engage drive again and continue the flight but without the gfx effect of the passing dust. It has once happened after undocking and heading to the Sun, on that occasion I never got the effect before Witchspace but did have it after jumping again.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I use Shift+F to show framerate and x, y, z location.
It's pretty obvious from that whether I'm moving, so it's something to try the next time you see this problem.

The "dust" not showing could be OpenGL problems with your video drivers? :(
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

When Ahruman released the new shader based code for the dust he did ask for people to report issues with it (even occasional ones), it was in the same thread as the test shader oxp that came with the latest release.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The occasional lack of dust is something that I’ve been noticing for quite a long time, probably since 1.65. You get the same effect in interstellar space, after a mis-jump. It’s quite eerie… howling along on the torus drive, but no space dust means no sense of motion.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

On this thread https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0 other mention oddities with the dust, might be worth mentioning wherever you officially mention such things...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Space dust is always present, but there are times when lack of sunlight (usually because a planet is between the player and the sun) creates the illusion that there is none.

OlderGamer: You can try disabling the dust shader for your graphics card and see if the problem with the dust not being visible gets solved. To do this, open the file gpu-settings.plist, found in [OoliteInstallDir]/oolite.app/Resources/Config and add this code at the end of the file, just before the final closing curly brace:

Code: Select all

"NVIDIA GeForce 9800" =
{
		match =
		{
			vendor = "NVIDIA Corporation";
			renderer = "GeForce 9800 GT/PCI/SSE2";
		};
		use_dust_shader = false;
};
Apply the change above, save the file and restart Oolite with Shift held down until the rotating Cobra appears.
Cody

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
Space dust is always present, but there are times when lack of sunlight (usually because a planet is between the player and the sun) creates the illusion that there is none.
Ha... that 'illusion' had me fooled... I'll get my coat.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

I was very hopeful, the changes seemed to work for a few (I have been playing for about 4hrs!) hours.. and just now it has happened again :(

Here is the log (after it happened and I docked) :

Code: Select all

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2010-09-27 21:16:36 +0100.
2 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1680 x 1050
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
    Resources
    ../AddOns
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 3.2.0 ("3.2.0")
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce 9800 GT/PCI/SSE2
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (180):
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_NV_texture_shader2, GL_NV_texture_shader3, GL_NV_gpu_program4, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_NV_texture_barrier, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_NV_vertex_array_range, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_NV_vertex_program2, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_NV_vertex_program3, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory, GL_NV_copy_image, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_sync, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_direct_state_access, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_ARB_compatibility, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_NV_register_combiners, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_bindable_uniform, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_multisample_coverage, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_NV_register_combiners2, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_SUN_slice_accum, GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object, GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_NV_transform_feedback, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_NV_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_NV_fragment_program_option, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_NV_fence, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_multisample, WGL_EXT_swap_control, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_NV_fragment_program2, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_NV_float_buffer, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_NV_vertex_program2_option, GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_NV_half_float, GL_NV_geometry_shader4, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_NV_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc, GL_NV_explicit_multisample, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_NV_fragment_program, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_NV_texture_expand_normal, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_NV_shader_buffer_load
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
[rendering.opengl.shader.mode]: Shader mode set to SHADERS_FULL.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts:
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.74.2
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2010-09-28 01:12:53 +0100.
I have the save file from immediately after but I am not sure that will help (and not sure how to post it here either, sorry [25kb]).

I also had an issue several times with being shot by pirates, lost a few units of cargo but when collecting up their cargo :D :D it got stuck at 34t + some precious metals/gems (35t max). I figure this has already been reported elsewhere.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Cmdr James wrote:
I often dump cargo when I scoop something I dont want.
Litterbug! :D

This thread seems to be all over the place but in line with the original subject, I've noticed that sometimes I don't get the Space dust when in some systems. I've not really paid any close attention, I don't know whether it's the same systems, or there are some series of events that can accurately recreate the situation every time. It may even be an accurate occurrence as was postulated, caused by the lighting conditions. However, I have noted that it can happen even when I'm flying directly towards the sun so plenty of light there.

It's not that big of a deal and typically when I jump to a new system the problem goes away. I'll have to pay closer attention to see if I can notice any kind of pattern.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think the space dust was discussed a day or two ago?

Its always there, but you can only see it when it is illuminated by something, typically the sun.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Darkbee wrote:
It may even be an accurate occurrence as was postulated, caused by the lighting conditions. However, I have noted that it can happen even when I'm flying directly towards the sun so plenty of light there.

It's not that big of a deal and typically when I jump to a new system the problem goes away. I'll have to pay closer attention to see if I can notice any kind of pattern.
Since 1.74 the space dust is lit by shader code. Mainly to transfer the light calculations from the regular processor to the graphic card. I would think that when there are problems with the shader, there would also be light problems with normal ships.

I tested it by flying to a position were the planet blocks the sun. Dust is not visible there. Specially in external views you see the effect. At the moment that the sunlight stops falling on the ship, also the dust seems to disappear.

I also tested one other possibility: the ship itself blocking the light. Turn the ship so the sun is perfectly at the back. In my boa you now see that the front of the ship is unlit because of the shade of its fat tail. In this situation, the dust is still lit. A small part is probably in the shade, but the majority is still in full sunlight so you don't see any effect of light blockage. When it does act different, it must be a bug somewhere with shaders.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I probably should have been more explicit, so excuse my not giving sufficient detail.

Sometimes when I use the Torus Jump Drive, there is no visual recognition that I'm doing so i.e. flying Space dust. I'd be happy with the light explanation except that, I'm confident the problem can occur when I'm flying towards the sun, and the problem is persistent for the duration of my stay in a given system where the problem occurs, regardless of my velocity and relative position to light sources. If the light argument is valid then I should be able to turn the ship while jumping such that the dust will gradually become visible again when lighting conditions permit. However, I'm pretty confident that isn't the case.

It really isn't a big deal but if it is a bug I'd like to help squash it. I don't have any accurate graphics card info off the top of my head but I think it's a Nvidia Geforce 9600. I'd have to check to see if the drivers are up-to-date (they may well not be).
Last edited by Darkbee on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

Darkbee wrote:
...the problem can occur when I'm flying towards the sun ...

It really isn't a big deal but if it is a bug I'd like to help squash it...
My son had this a short while ago, whilst flying to the sun, to refuel, before immediately jumping out of the system.

Graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT and because I only installed it a month or so ago, the drivers are bang up-to-date.

I would also really like to help with this, hence my persistance and forum spamming :twisted:
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

Hi,

This is the Pastebin save from a couple of days ago that I couldn't post due to my being too young (on the forums :D )

Saved after Dust missing

btw, I can see the effect of dust passing even when I am flying directely at the sun and it fills my entire screen, the effect is the negative of dust on a black space background but it is still there.

Effect has happened a couple of times over last couple of days but not really had too much time to play during this week :cry:

Good luck
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

I now have this one pretty much nailed in terms of Save games before the fact and after, if they help. 90% it happens when I do this:

Fly to Sun - with dust

then - H to Witch space once fuel filled - no dock.

Fly to Station - no dust

I really hope this helps... let me know if anything else is needed.