Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can't dock!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I agree with Commander McLane, I advise you to not go slowly. In fact, docking at full speed is sometimes easier (I've even docked with fuel injectors on). Once you've got yourself lined up as flat and level with the space station as you can get, don't try to match the roll of the space station at all, instead wait until you're almost on top of it, and then "rotate the Space Station" (using the left key) until it's almost flat, by the time you enter the docking slit, it will be flat and you'll have docked. Anyway, full speed might be a bit extreme but I honestly believe trying to dock with the speed bar in the green is hardest of all.

In addition, in my experience, it's almost impossible to be absolutely perfect flat and level with the Space Station and you nose will always drift off slightly, however as long as you're relatively close to flat and level then you should be okay.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

must admit i find i tend to veer off more than i did on the Beeb Elite, i guess some is down to the line of sight thing mentioned earlier.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Docking

Post by Alex »

Docking is always the hardest part of driving, compare it with a RW(real world) car. Just like 'Kangeroo Juice'. Impossible till you get it.

from Darkbee;
(I've even docked with fuel injectors on).
WOW... Never managed that!! Feel a need to try though.

Back to docking;

I find it easier to make adjustments to rotation and angle by counter rotating to the station till docking slot looks centered (most stations have docking lights to help with this) then getting in positive rotation at last little bit.

Oh.. and the slower you go the more time there is to stuff up.

p.s. Had some really scary docks at high speed and bad angles, lost all shields and most energy... but got there.
Damn cops!! They really shouldn't chase that close to station!
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I've docked at Pirate Coves and Rock Hermits (which don't mass-lock you) using the Torus. 8)
They're much bigger docking ports than the standard main stations though...
mrbadexample
Average
Average

Post by mrbadexample »

Well, as an ex-Elite pilot (Spectrum & TNK), I didn't have any real trouble docking on this version at all. After a while you can damn near squeeze it in sideways. :lol:
If you lend someone 1000 credits and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The Adder can dock sideways -- it's probably not alone in that aspect.