Special cargo strangeness

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Loxley wrote:
but then again I'm playing on a PC. Maybe there's something in what Commander McLane thinks about it being platform dependent?
Well, you have just brought evidence to the contrary. If I see all pods on a Mac, and you see them all on a PC, there doesn't seem to be a difference.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander McLane wrote:
Loxley wrote:
but then again I'm playing on a PC. Maybe there's something in what Commander McLane thinks about it being platform dependent?
Well, you have just brought evidence to the contrary. If I see all pods on a Mac, and you see them all on a PC, there doesn't seem to be a difference.
Seems so. And Switeck also said that he has got a lot of 'rare' pods. Hmm.
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Hmm... yeah, looks like I misread the previous posts....
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Loxley wrote:
Incidentally Eric, I've already encountered the red and green flashing pods, but then again I'm playing on a PC.
Good to hear that both you and McLane have seen those red flashing pods. Based on the stats, I should get one red one for every 5 green ones. But I have encountered much more that 5 green ones till now without having seen the red one. But, on such low numbers, real values can be quite different than calculated averages. At least it means that objects with weight factors as low as 0.01 are added for pods and Svengally just tested not long enough with his weight factor of 0.08. Problem in calculating a real weight is probably that there are much more pods in the oxp list than thought.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Svengali wrote:
Seems so. And Switeck also said that he has got a lot of 'rare' pods. Hmm.
Actually, I do not. I merely pointed out that I get Gold, Platinum, Gem-Stone pods a lot...and many of them have 10+ kg/g amounts. It's too common for me to consider them "rare". :lol:
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Not really connected, but I just saw a ship with the MASC'M pre-fitted for sale at Ceesxe G1, which was unexpected.... Any connection to Vector?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Loxley wrote:
Not really connected, but I just saw a ship with the MASC'M pre-fitted for sale at Ceesxe G1, which was unexpected.... Any connection to Vector?
Do you have RS/OSE/OE installed? If the answer is yes, you've got your culprit.
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

None of the above which is why I'm puzzled. Just checked and it's not for sale in the shipyard (tech level is 15), just fitted to this one Manta Ray.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Okay, it's a feature of the Manta Ray. In shipyard.plist of Aquatics.oxp it has it defined as an optional equipment. To prevent that you would have to remove the third-to-last and the second-to-last entry in the optional_equipment-array.
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Ah, I see, thanks.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Loxley wrote:
just fitted to this one Manta Ray.
The Manta Ray is from Aquatics.oxp. That one has the MASC defined as possible extra equipment. However, the cost for such prefixed equipment is, among others, calculated based on the current tech level and the tech level of the equipment. And as this equipment has a tech level of 99, that must have been quite expensive :twisted:
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

I've moved on now, but I think they wanted something like 460,000 Cr for it. That's a lot of money for a fighter. :lol:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yes the mil Manta's in the OXP do very occasionally have MASC'M as their kit, and on other small occasions they get resold and forget to remove it.

Unlike some I decided to give the tech the benefit of the doubt, as I've never found it to not work as expected in all my testing. It isn't a bug, but if it's not to your personal taste to have it in then that's your affair, and it's not difficult to remove.
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

I think I'll probably leave it. It may seem odd, but while I don't want to fit one I don't mind if the occasional NPC has an unexpected advantage.

After all it makes sense that the military might have access to a few bits of kit beyond the reach of a civilian trader (or pirate).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Loxley wrote:
I think I'll probably leave it. It may seem odd, but while I don't want to fit one I don't mind if the occasional NPC has an unexpected advantage.
From a technical point of view NPC ships in Oolite are a completely different and distinct bunch from player ships. If you remove the two lines of code as I explained above, this will only affect player ships. It doesn't change the probability for NPC Manta's to have these equipments in the least little bit. So it's exactly what you want to do.