No strike ‘splash’ effect

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Thargoid wrote:
One thing I also just noticed is that Q-bomb explosions are now also not seen when they happen near the edge of scanner range (20km or so), which was a bit strange.
That, on the other hand, has not changed. :-)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Just confirmed - on my PC I seem to have invisible Q-bomb spheres (other than on the scanner). What info do you want in the bug report?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Strange, I can see Q-bomb clouds fine here, both in full and in off shaders mode.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Graphic driver details from the log are

Code: Select all

[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.5.0 ("1.5.0 - Build 6.14.10.4831")
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (49):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
[rendering.opengl.gpuSpecific]: Matched GPU configuration "Intel GMA 900/950 family".
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
No shaders, but everything else looks fine. It's just the bomb sphere that's missing (but still deadly).
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hi, just had a look at the invisible q-bomb, unfortunately they're very much visible here, and it doesn't look as if the q-bomb drawing code has actually changed between 1.73 and 1.74.

Very, very puzzling.

One thing I did notice though, is what happens when a q-bomb hits the main station! Nothing much to begin with, but then it launched a ship, which created its own q-mine cloud. And then another. And then another.

At one point I had 6 concentric q-mine explosions. Apparently, the station ran out of ships after a while, so things quietened down a bit.

Something needs to be done! I think we better stop those foolish people from launching straight into a q-mine cloud.
But what? Hmmm, maybe we could get some lifeguards to put up red flags along the beach... Yes, that'd do the trick. Definitely. :D

Ok, going back to the original problem: A_C has got a the same model card as you, as far as I know, yet he doesn't seem to have that problem, so it's very likely driver related. However, the same driver still let you see them clouds in 1.73...

About 90% of the code used to draw the q-bomb cloud is also used to draw exiting witchspace clouds (& suns, but never mind). The problem might well be the slight changes made to the additive blending code...

Thargoid, do you have any problems at all seeing witchspace clouds in 1.74?

And finally, one last question: Thargoid, in 1.73.4 are your q-mine clouds semi-transparent, or basically opaque?
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Basically opaque, at least to begin with. As they fade they become more transparent, but at the start blue circles.

By witchspace clouds, do you mean wormholes, or something else? If you mean the "space dust" that seems to appear fine - it's just Q-bomb clouds that suddenly seem to have vanished.

As you say it's almost certainly a driver issue, as I can run exactly the same game (via USB stick) on another machine and see them. But I can't update the drivers (much as I would like to so I also gain shader support, it's work's PC and I don't have admin rights) and they were visible on 1.73.4.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Thargoid wrote:

By witchspace clouds, do you mean wormholes, or something else?
Wormholes termini! :)

Or, to use another definition, them blue spheres left behind when a ship enters a wormhole to another system.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

There also seems to be a brief flash when they appear in another system...if you happen to be looking the right way at just the right moment.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, as far as I can tell everything in the code is accounted for. There are parts shared by the sun & witchspace cloud drawing routines, and what's left over is shared by part of the laser & plume drawing routines.

If you can see everything else, I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't be able to see the q-mine clouds... :(

Ahruman, any ideas?

@Switeck, the 'ship incoming' flash is indeed intentional, and happens every time a ship emerges from witchspace, which is by definition anywhere close to the witchpoint beacon. If you use the javascript console, you can set up camp close by, spawn 60 ships, and watch the fireworks! :)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I added my comment because I thought it might be related code to the q-mine cloud.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I have the same symptoms. Q-bombs appeared on 1.73.4, but no longer appear in 1.74. (are still deadly though). They do appear on the scanner.

No modifications applied to my ancient X200 laptop with Intel integrated graphics other than changing Oolite.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

No laser splash at long range… but I’ve noticed that I can now hear when my laser is making strikes.
Was this always the case? Is it something new in 1.74.x? Or is it the BGS oxp, with it’s own laser sound?
Whichever, it’s very handy… many thanks.

Another question: when you make a hyperspace jump, you emerge with all missiles unarmed, but if you dive into an npc wormhole, you emerge with a missile armed (providing it was already armed, of course).
Has this always been the case?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I believe so! :)

The trick is, if the missile was aimed at the ship you're following, then you'd keep target lock.

When you jump on your own you lose all target locks, since all targeted ships are in a different solar system altogether!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Curious… I’ve seen this with untargeted missiles, just armed and ready. It’s preferable to emerge with an armed missile.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

El Viejo wrote:
No laser splash at long range… but I’ve noticed that I can now hear when my laser is making strikes.
Was this always the case?
Yes. (Well, at least since 1.65. I can't speak for earlier versions, though.)