Anyone fancy a 39-day trip to Mars?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ahruman wrote:
You still have to launch all of it, in relatively tight launch windows (which come about two years apart).
By sending the descent/ascent module separately, you can send it within reason when you like. As it's un-manned it doesn't matter if it takes an age to get there, as long as it's there before the manned module arrives. With a long timescale like this for a Mars mission, you can spread the effort over time, and even ensure the 'Lander' is safely in Mars orbit before the manned module even sets off.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Ahruman wrote:
Killer Wolf wrote:
aye, why the return = harder bit.
The hardest part of an interplanetary flight is the first couple of hundred kilometres, getting off the planet.

For a return trip from Mars, you need to bring the rocket for that plus the launch facility with you.

This increases the mass of your initial launch by a factor of, say, 50.
You don't really need a launch facility, just a flat area and a ship that can lift off again. Fuel would be the biggest problem.
It worked with the Moon. Gravity on Mars is 38% of Earth which is about twice of that on the Moon. So in that respect, it would be easier to take off from Mars than from Earth.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Chrisfs wrote:
You don't really need a launch facility, just a flat area and a ship that can lift off again.
By “launch facility”, I don’t mean Cape Canaveral. Just a predictable launch surface – like the Apollo descent module.
Chrisfs wrote:
Gravity on Mars is 38% of Earth which is about twice of that on the Moon.
Atmospheric drag is not negligible.

And yes, it’s easier than launching from Earth. If it wasn’t, no-one would even be considering it.