More details in this thread.

SNAFU

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Black Knight, you seem to have had the same Dell experiences as me. I refuse to buy another dell laptop since the amount of trouble I had with the last one.

Components that lift themselves off the motherboard, a power socket that sits right next to the heat sink, a DVD drive that failed and a battery that is apparently DESIGNED to fail after 2 years. And that was a model that was advertised as a desktop replacement.
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

Selezen wrote:
Black Knight, you seem to have had the same Dell experiences as me. I refuse to buy another dell laptop since the amount of trouble I had with the last one.
In some ways better, in some ways worse.

The laptop(s) in question weren't mine, they were owned by the company I worked for. It got so bad that 'we' refused to buy another Dell PC or laptap, ever.
At least, until HP bought up Compaq and some bean-counting Accountant decided we should go back to Dell.

The funniest thing about the whole sorry mess was that we'd switched to Dell after having a few problems with HP Vectra desktops... and the bean-counters got thier panties all bunched up over it.

Plus ca change...
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

BlackKnight wrote:
Selezen wrote:
In some ways better, in some ways worse.

The laptop(s) in question weren't mine, they were owned by the company I worked for. It got so bad that 'we' refused to buy another Dell PC or laptap, ever.
At least, until HP bought up Compaq and some bean-counting Accountant decided we should go back to Dell.

The funniest thing about the whole sorry mess was that we'd switched to Dell after having a few problems with HP Vectra desktops... and the bean-counters got thier panties all bunched up over it.

Plus ca change...
Cranfield University will only buy Dells (academic discount for bulk purchasing I guess) - it has to go all the way to Head of School plus additional permission from the Head of IT to purchase any other brand. It is fortunate (on reflection) that we were forced at the time of purchase to take out the additional 3yr warranty on these XPS M1730s (although they're Dells they're out of the normal academic spec for laptops for our IT dept won't touch them) because it is clear that they're going to cause us untold pain in the coming years...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

And the 2nd PSU (delivered yesterday) has also stopped working - thank-you Dell...
Selezen wrote:
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
And the 2nd PSU (delivered yesterday) has also stopped working

:shock: Wow, that really does not bode well for the future...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Rxke wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
And the 2nd PSU (delivered yesterday) has also stopped working

:shock: Wow, that really does not bode well for the future...
Because we have four of them I was able to put in a different PSU (again) - chatting to the tech guy on the phone if I hadn't been able to do this and make the error go away (the error basically says - you've not got a 230W Dell PSU plugged in, the laptop will run slowly and the battery will not charge until you do do) then they would have had to change the battery too and if that doesn't work then its a mobo change - so the poor sods who are out of warranty have to take a punt on going from cheapest to most expensive fault determiner if they get this same error, change PSU, then Change battery and if you still get the error change of mobo...
Selezen wrote: