Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

My take on the Thargoids

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

lovely bit of artwork Scarecrow! maybe it might get closer to the thargoid shape if there was some sort of 'webbing' or something between the 'fingers' so the shape filled out into that 8 sided flying saucer design the thargoids use?

re animation, is there a way we can use vertex colours as a sort of 'weight map' for controlling the strength of vertex animations? is so, you could sort of wibbly wobbly the entire object with a shader but keep certains areas static by giving the relevent verticies a 0,0,0 colour in the weight map
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oolite doesn’t support vertex colours per se, but you can read textures from a vertex shader. How you’d actually encode useful animation data in the texture is left as an exercise to the reader. :-)
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

?if the "suckers" on those "tentacles" were not suckers but entrances into an interior environment, these interesting shapes could be spacefaring Hives :arrow: (just a thought)

then another thought sprang to mind viz: Blueshell and Greenstalk, "intelligent plants of an eons-old trading race known as Skroderiders"

…their ships? …or something cOonected in some way?

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
edit: (that link goes to the wrong paragraph: just scroll up a bit - 3 paragraphs - or search "skrode" will take you there)
Cheers!