Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Mac OS X – Trunk nightly builds

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

No, it's a Level 6 Anarchy system. I opened a thread for it at https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=110286.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I don't believe this one has been resolved yet, but could be in trunk...

In an OXP, using a timer to call a function that in turn required an argument caused a CTD for me. Example:

Code: Select all

Foo = new Timer (this, this.function(arg1), 0, 5);
I realize that syntax is not proper, but I can't remember exactly how it is supposed to go. And the above is roughly what I was trying when I caused a CTD.

Anyways, hope that is some help.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hello Cheyd!

We might have to split this one onto the bugs forum, anyway, will look into it this evening.

I noticed there's a major misunderstanding behind the way you called the new Tmer() constructor: the second parameter expects a function object which in practice means its name.

The way you called it, javascript will run the function this.function() with argument arg1, expecting a function object in return, one representing the function to be called periodically.

The most likely cause of your problem is that this.function(arg1) doesn't return anything, so you're effectively saying

Foo = new Timer(this, null, 0, 5);

Any crash in that call just means that Oolite didn't check all the parameters for consistency with what it expects. Of course, the idea is that Oolite does check those parameters for consistency...

If - for whatever reason - you want a timer function to work on a variable, you can use a variable internal to the function, use a mission variable (extremely useful, in case you save a game while the timer is still ticking away) or you can 'anchor' the variable value somewhere else that's reachable from both inside and outside the timer function. There are a few objects that can be hijacked for the purpose: Player for example (Player.myspecialVariable = 2), or maybe this.ship...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Kaks wrote:
I noticed there's a major misunderstanding behind the way you called the new Tmer() constructor: the second parameter expects a function object which in practice means its name.

The way you called it, javascript will run the function this.function() with argument arg1, expecting a function object in return, one representing the function to be called periodically.

The most likely cause of your problem is that this.function(arg1) doesn't return anything, so you're effectively saying

Foo = new Timer(this, null, 0, 5);

Any crash in that call just means that Oolite didn't check all the parameters for consistency with what it expects. Of course, the idea is that Oolite does check those parameters for consistency...
This particular problem was fixed in r3325 (bug #17149).

The bug response also demonstrates the correct way to pass a parameter to a timer callback. Use the closures, Luke!
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Oolite Mac OS X – Trunk nightly builds

Post by Getafix »

Following to a corrected glitch :shock:
the nightly has been updated to r3597.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: Oolite Mac OS X – Trunk nightly builds

Post by Getafix »

I've noticed that mac nightly is not updated.

I have managed to put my hands on a Mac and manually produced a mac nightly for revision 4595.
The "changes since last revision" is not correct yet.
It's my first attempt and I will try to fix these glitches and automate the process, soon.

This service will be provided by http://terrastorage.ath.cx/oolite/status_mac_alt.html temporarily,
until Ahruman fixes his nightly (let the man take a vacation leave! :) )

Cheers.
Last edited by Getafix on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Should be fixed for tonight.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

The alternative Oolite nighlty build status for Mac is now automated and made available at
http://terrastorage.ath.cx/oolite/status_mac_alt.html
to be used as secondary option, in case the primary build has hick-up.

Note (28/May/2012):
The alternative site for Oolite Mac nightly has kicked the bucket.
I will restore the strike-through message as soon as I have another alternative built from scratch. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Getafix on Mon May 28, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Due to terrastorage server maintenance,
the nightly server will be down for a couple of hours.

EDIT: Done.
Albee
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Albee »

Hi guys. Having seen a reference to nightlies in a recent thread, along with the comment that folk were welcome to test the long-range chart fix (distance & time not being reported, i.e.) I thought I would have a look-see, being keen to learn everything I can about this great game. So I've just enjoyed a few flights using Development version 1.77-4894, on my MacBook Pro 13 running Snow Leopard.

I'd like to contribute if I can -- if a newbie with zero knowledge of programming can be of any use, that is. If I would just be getting under people's feet, I'm happy to be asked to stick to hauling gold and platinum across galaxy 1. :wink:

As an example of the sort of contribution I'm likely to be able to make, the chart is now working fine for me. I did notice that when sun-skimming, however, there was no tone to tell me refuelling had commenced, and the 'slurping' sound as fuel is piped to the fuel tank was also absent. (The silence was a little unnerving, to be honest). As you can see, at present I have no idea who to report to, how to do it, or if I should even be doing it.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Albee wrote:

As an example of the sort of contribution I'm likely to be able to make, the chart is now working fine for me. I did notice that when sun-skimming, however, there was no tone to tell me refuelling had commenced, and the 'slurping' sound as fuel is piped to the fuel tank was also absent. (The silence was a little unnerving, to be honest). As you can see, at present I have no idea who to report to, how to do it, or if I should even be doing it.
Testing and Bug Reports is normally a good place to post reports of non OXP related odd behaviour/problems whether it be the current stable release or a nightly build - https://bb.oolite.space/viewforum.php?f=3.

If an OXP doesn't work properly with a nightly build it's probably best to post in the OXPs thread.

In either case make it clear you are using a nightly build and report the revision number (you may as-well post the log, someone will probably ask for it anyway). Your reports will be appreciated, particularly if you can clearly explain how to reproduce the problem. The more testers there are of trunk, the quicker any bugs in new features will be ironed out.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

The alternative site for Oolite Mac nightly has kicked the bucket.
I'll post a note as soon as I have another alternative built from scratch;
I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting though! :mrgreen:
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

New URL for nightly
http://terrastorage.dyndns.info/oolite/status_mac.html

First post needs to be updated. The nicer nightly page will not arrive soon. :cry:

EDIT 2014/05/01: http://terrastorage.no-ip.info/oolite/status_mac.html
Last edited by Getafix on Thu May 01, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I noticed that the mac page doesn't have the same trunk version (5689) as the windows and linux variants?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The Mac version is built from the 1.77-maintenance branch on github. The Windows and Linux versions are still looking at SVN (haven't been able to set them up yet), which is why the build numbers differ.