Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

JazHaz wrote:
The thing with hustle & bustle, crowd sounds is that it has a random element. ie the mixture of sounds vary all the time as new people enter your hearing and people leave, and people don't generally speak all the time (unless they are female lol). In the game environment, you have a finite no. of samples which after a while you will notice the repeats and have you reaching for the volume control.
Sure. But it's switchable, so simply switch it off .-) And the loudness level was set higher to make it feelable for the video. It's already reduced by nearly 10 dB again.
JazHaz wrote:
Also I definately don't like the hyperspace countdown, so obviously sampled from Star Trek's Majel Barrett-Roddenberry. This is Oolite, not Star Trek!!
Erm. No. It's the original Aegidians customsounds countdown and for sure not sampled from Star Trek's Majel Barret-Roddenberry.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Svengali wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Also I definately don't like the hyperspace countdown, so obviously sampled from Star Trek's Majel Barrett-Roddenberry. This is Oolite, not Star Trek!!
Erm. No. It's the original Aegidians customsounds countdown and for sure not sampled from Star Trek's Majel Barret-Roddenberry.
Well maybe not the countdown, but the bit before about a link being established, definately is!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yes, the custounds.oxp sounds are definitely a mix of a synthetic voice and Majel Barret samples.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

More BGS.
This time a 480p resolution Demo using the P.A. Groove FX set in the upcoming BGS.OXP

Also shown:

Famous Planets 2.0
Griff ships
Far Arm Ships
Deepspace Ships
Asteroids
A black Monk Monastery

Enjoy this flight from Orora to Resori in G2 on YOUTUBE.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pagroove#p/ ... ZqSvpNG3Wc
Last edited by pagroove on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The intro says “Version 1.74.300”. Is that supposed to be r3040 or r3050? :-)

Edit: Oh wait, February 17. That’d be r3030, then.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Yep anyway a little older version
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

a_c has posted a set in red in the screenshots forum. It isn't meant as an alternative, however there is one great idea contained in it: He has made two different backgrounds for the F7 screen, a normal one, and another oen in case the system sun has gone Nova.

I think that's a worthwhile idea. And it should be possible two distinguish these two cases in the script, so that a different screen can be shown if the selected planet doesn't exist anymore.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

The distinction is already there, at least in trunk! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: BGS - BackgroundSet

Post by Corny »

I noticed that the planets are a bit "off" in 1.74.2.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Corny wrote:
That is not BGS's fault. The exact planet position depends on your monitor measurements. Go for example to windowed mode and resize your window. You see the planet move as you are changing the window. (at least on a Mac were the window is constantly updated during resizing. I don't know how this is handled on windows)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
Corny wrote:
That is not BGS's fault. The exact planet position depends on your monitor measurements. Go for example to windowed mode and resize your window. You see the planet move as you are changing the window. (at least on a Mac were the window is constantly updated during resizing. I don't know how this is handled on windows)
I'll change the design for that screen a little bit to make it independent from an exact position. Thanks for the pointer .-)

And while at it I'll have to change a few more things as well (see https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=728) so it seems to be the perfect time to do it...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Svengali wrote:
And while at it I'll have to change a few more things as well (see https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=728) so it seems to be the perfect time to do it...
While you are at it, I would recommend removing the text at the top of the intro screen, or at least the part that repeats the copyright message, which is printed by the game itself anyway. Unless you don't mind changing the 2003-2010 part every year of course ;-)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

another_commander wrote:
While you are at it, I would recommend removing the text at the top of the intro screen, or at least the part that repeats the copyright message, which is printed by the game itself anyway. Unless you don't mind changing the 2003-2010 part every year of course ;-)
Hehe, I would have overlooked it, my head is full with scripts .-) Thx a_c. Will think about another element there.
Optimus
Poor
Poor

Post by Optimus »

Hello guys, this is my first post. Its first because before all was been OK :) But now I have one lil question about "BackgroundSet".

At all Im happy with this OXP, but two things annoy me, because I listen own music when playing, ambient blahblah at stations and in the space around. So how exactly I can disable those and not lost other features? I read first post carefully and found
BGS-M_A.oxp (additional pack for ambient music and sounds + FX)
I not understand what is FX? Looks like ambient music and sounds is what Im not need, but unknown "FX" confuse me :) Also I try to disable ambientSounds at OXPConfig, but looks like this option do nothing... So what you can advise to me?

UPDATE
For now I replace all ambi_chatter and ambi_station to bgs-m_silence at script.js, but maybe more elegant way exist?

PS. Im so happy with this game. Fun with nostalgic tones... Thanks you :)
Installed: E2F(dosbox), JJFFE_hell_mod(wine), Vegastrike(native), Oolite(native), Pioneer(native)
Playing now: Oolite, E2F, Vegastrike.

"Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi Optimus, welcome to the boards! Friendliest place this side of Riedquat (although of course, that depends on where you're standing ...) ;). You'll get more practical advice on sound-related issues from other people, but I can at least explain "FX" to you: pronounced "Eff Ecks" in English, it's a quick way of writing "effects", as in "sound effects".