Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How long to grill a trumble?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

allikat wrote:
There are statements in the script which implies the percentage drops even lower once you turn them down a few times.
Er, what? This seems quite explicit to me:

Code: Select all

// If player has rejected a trumble offer, reset trumble mission with 2% probability per jump.
    if (missionVariables.trumbles === "NOT_NOW" && Math.random < 0.02)
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Ahruman wrote:
allikat wrote:
There are statements in the script which implies the percentage drops even lower once you turn them down a few times.
Er, what? This seems quite explicit to me:

Code: Select all

// If player has rejected a trumble offer, reset trumble mission with 2% probability per jump.
    if (missionVariables.trumbles === "NOT_NOW" && Math.random < 0.02)
I was just searching the BBS for Math.random (trying to figure out if it's truly random like I thought, or if it repeats reliably in given situations, as some recent reports about my OXP have suggested) and stumbled across this thread. Shouldn't that be "Math.random()", as in calling the method, not testing the value of the method pointer? Or is there other magic at work here that I'm not understanding?

(Of course Math.random isn't "truly random" any more than any other algorithmic pseudo-random number generator is, viz von Neumann's "state of sin". But in oolite, "pseudo-random" has come to mean that the generator's seed gets reset to the same value for, what, a given system? As in the System.pseudoRandomNumber method. Which is quite handy in some circumstances, but not in my particular case.)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

caracal wrote:
I was just searching the BBS for Math.random (trying to figure out if it's truly random like I thought, or if it repeats reliably in given situations, as some recent reports about my OXP have suggested) and stumbled across this thread. Shouldn't that be "Math.random()", as in calling the method, not testing the value of the method pointer? Or is there other magic at work here that I'm not understanding?
Good catch. You understand correct. Math.random < 0.2 will always stay false. I looked back and this has been wrong since the beginning. At least it was already wrong in Oolite 1.70, the first JS translation of this script. Result: only one offer and than it stops since than. And nobody complained about that :lol:
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

heheh.
Even though I used the trumblescript as a template for trumble treats, the confusion I got in with the salted pseudorandomnumbers resulted in a corrected code. :)
Riding the Rocket!
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Eric Walch wrote:
caracal wrote:
Shouldn't that be "Math.random()", as in calling the method, not testing the value of the method pointer?
Good catch. You understand correct. Math.random < 0.2 will always stay false. I looked back and this has been wrong since the beginning. At least it was already wrong in Oolite 1.70, the first JS translation of this script.
Another win for open source! :D
Eric Walch wrote:
Result: only one offer and than it stops since than. And nobody complained about that :lol:
Hey, don't look at me! Even if I had known about it before, I sure wouldn't have complained!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Commander McLane wrote:
Of course the problem then is not to extend the "well done" to other organic matter on your ship... :roll:
THERE'S a thought! What are the odds of being too hot over-cooking your cargo, especially food?
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Switeck wrote:
THERE'S a thought! What are the odds of being too hot over-cooking your cargo, especially food?
So you change the label from "Laveian Tree Grub Filets" to "Laveian Tree Grub Jerky", raise the price 20%, and where's the problem? ;)
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

The problem is sun broiled slaves only sell when marketed as imitation edible poet.
And the dead poet society takes a dim view on misuse of their product.
Riding the Rocket!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Switeck wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Of course the problem then is not to extend the "well done" to other organic matter on your ship... :roll:
That was not what I had in mind. I was warning of the risk to overcook yourself.
Arexack_Heretic

Some of use are barely alive, mind you! ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Commander McLane wrote:
Switeck wrote:
That was not what I had in mind. I was warning of the risk to overcook yourself.
Of course -- but maybe there can be a risk of destroying fragile cargo from excessive heat? (...Especially if the ship lacks an improved heat shield.)
Arexack_Heretic

Now that I can relate to. :D

"One tonne of slaves perished from the heat: gain a tonne of food"
"The heat makes you thirsty: you break the seals on a container of cooled Aesian water. -1 tn liquors"
"Sensitive components in a container of hyper Amstrad computers, render them useless. -1t C, +1t alloys."
"You can now sell your food as radioactives."
etc.
Riding the Rocket!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
"You can now sell your food as radioactives."
I like especially this one, although it is not immediately clear how heat would make food radioactive.

(Note to self: never eat cake again, or soup.) :P
Arexack_Heretic

"It's the neutrinos that give it that extra oumph!" :D

Well...solar radiation and such... :P
no, it does not make any sense, universal containers are designed to withstand hard vacuum and radiation both. :roll:
Riding the Rocket!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Hard vacuum and even typical space radiation won't make a cargo canister warm. It'll probably instead leave nitrogen pooling as a liquid.
But if you're cooking trumbles in your cabin then chances are the cargo bay is at least as hot as that. Food even in a cargo canister may be slowly overcooked.