Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

ITS GOING TO INFECT YOUR PC##### RE EMAIL

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Hawk
Competent
Competent

Post by Hawk »

Yeh, but virus scanners are mostly for the people who are likely to get viruses without even realising it. The best security you can get is common sense.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hawk wrote:
Yeh, but virus scanners are mostly for the people who are likely to get viruses without even realising it. The best security you can get is common sense.
Belt and Braces, belt and braces... (if it's there - no harm in using it)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Hawk
Competent
Competent

Post by Hawk »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Belt and Braces, belt and braces... (if it's there - no harm in using it)
True enough, but by the same token, don't rely on it solely.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Currently I am not using Linux anti-virus software but I know I should be. At my local Linux Users Group we had one of our members, who works for anti-virus companies (Sophos I think), gave a talk on Linux Malware, so this is why I am aware. I used to think you don't get viruses on linux but I now know better. Also as I know him well enough to trust him, I will take his advise and get one installed. It's just a matter of getting around to it.

But I do have RKHunter running to spot Rootkits.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Just don't go to dodgy sites? Use Firefox with appropriate addons (no-script, adblock plus)?

Not hard to avoid traps. Just use common-sense.

5 years on this PC (WinXP-64) without Virus Protection Software, not a single Virus/Trojan/Pop-up/adware/etc
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

A properly driven car does not crash -- why bother with seatbelts?

Overall life isnt perfect, most people actually do not have complete control over their machines, they have friends and family that "just want to look at something", or working from home policies mean xyz...

At the end of the day you have to do the best you can, and for most people it makes sense to keep patches up to date, run some anti virus, use a firewall, not run as a priviledged user (easier said than done even now, but it is possible) and not surf warz and pron sites, especially when drunk.

There is always a risk, you just chose how much you accept. I would get sacked or worse for running a prod server the way I use my machine at home. I would never set up my home machine like I would a core banking system for a business.
Hawk
Competent
Competent

Post by Hawk »

Cmdr James wrote:
A properly driven car does not crash -- why bother with seatbelts?
Don't drive like a maniac because your seatbelt will protect you ;-)

Yes, definitely use a firewall. It's a good idea to have adblockers plugins etc as well. But anything other than free antiviral software is a waste of money. Most good trojans will evade/break that software anyway, and they only serve to give a false sense of security to those who are the most vulnerable.
Last edited by Hawk on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

No one is suggesting recklessness. I think its pretty clear that I, and most other people here are taking a pragmatic view that you should be sensible in behaviour, and that anti-virus software for most people is a good idea.
Hawk
Competent
Competent

Post by Hawk »

Cmdr James wrote:
No one is suggesting recklessness. I think its pretty clear that I, and most other people here are taking a pragmatic view that you should be sensible in behaviour, and that anti-virus software for most people is a good idea.
Maybe not, but on the flip side no-one seems to be commenting on how featherweight the protection gained from having anti-viral software really is. It should not be considered the be all and end all of internet security. It is a sticking plaster, nothing more. True protection comes from strong IP and application firewalls, browser-based security, and patches to browsers and platforms to avoid falling prey to security loopholes, but most of all to common sense, vigilance and a bit of research.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

to be honest a lot can be done simply through the application of common sence. "Oh look I've won an internet lottery and all they want is for me to run this bit of software as root and I can claim the cash!!!

orly?

Sure there are a lot of people out there looking for open ports, etc etc etc but dumb is as dumb does.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

@Hawk

I dont see your point. No one is suggesting that anti virus software is the be all and end all.

I for one have clearly said in both my posts that I think this type of software has a place for most people together with a suitable usage pattern or the machine in question.

I really dont see the issue here. No one is suggesting that you should install norton then go to $warezandpronsite.com as administrator and fill your boots with dodgy software.

For the record, my opinion is that anyone who thinks anti-virus is the be all and end all is an idiot. But since noone here is saying that...
Hawk
Competent
Competent

Post by Hawk »

Yes, it is clear that you don't see my point. Allow me to clarify my position.

I am not suggesting that anyone has stated that anti-viral software is the ultimate in internet security, however I am making the point that if no-one specifically says that it is NOT, any newbie internet user could walk away with the wrong impression, as many seem to.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

The trouble is nothing actually makes you 100% safe. Even if I keep any anti-virus or anti-malware software up-to-date and make sure I have installed every security update for my system, I can still be prone to a total new attack vector.

This reminds me of the idea that doing background checks on people with access to children will completely protect children. It only stops the ones already caught.

Yes, common sense is the key. Take the issue that started this thread. I never, automatically, believe in anything an unsolicited email message (board message in this case) tells me. Particularly in regards to security concerns.

Regards,
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Not so much common sense, as a healthy dose of paranoid.
Those who have been hanging about the forum awhile knows the mods, and it can be easily verified if they sent you a PM or not. If something smells the least bit fishy about that message, then it's likely not legit.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor